Microwave popcorn

bandylu2

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:53 pm
Setanta -- I must admit that you are absolutely, positively the only person I've ever heard of who actually grew your very own popcorn. I'm very impressed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:58 pm
It ain't hard, Boss, easiest thing in the garden, in fact--for most of the growing season, you can just forget it . . . shelling it is the hard part . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:34 pm
hmmmmmm
maybe a hot-air popper for a friend for Christmas

hmmmmm
0 Replies

estrella

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:36 am
Never did have any luck with the little tin gourmet popper with the handle you turned round and round--popcorn was a tad moist. Tried a lot of hot air poppers, same problem. Perhaps I didn't get into the upper echelons of hot air poppers....

I'maaaaa gonna have me some popcorn right now--for breakfast! You got my taste buds apoppin'!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:09 am
Hmm, I thought microwave ovens were made to pop popcorn.

Often I have my popcorn and a big glass of milk and childhood habit - popcorn was often an evening snack in my home. I have found that the perfect setting for mirowave popcorn for me is 3:30, come out perfect every time for me.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:05 pm
I read that as 3:30 p.m., Joanne, and couldn't figure out why the popcorn would come out better in the afternoon than at night (thought maybe it was something cosmic). Duh!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:32 pm
Bandylu I had the minutes added but it looked odd so I said to myself, they will know what I mean Embarrassed But I should have not been so lazy of course the smell of just popped popcorn at 3:30 p.m. seemed to fill my old office at that time of day. A quick snack to help endure D.C. traffic.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:25 pm
Not your fault, Joanne. My mind just isn't always working.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:43 pm
Neither is mine we speakth the same language.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 09:20 am
Um-m-m, now we're talking my kind of gourmet cooking! In fact, while reading the responses here I got hungry and put a bag in the nuker and am now indulging. I go through so much of the stuff, I buy ActII in the 15-pk. boxes. Have about a box and a half on hand right now. My ideal seven-course meal is a bag of popcorn and a six-pack of diet Pepsi. The popcorn is especially good when sprayed with 'Pam' and sprinkled with powdered Cheddar cheese. Also, the diferent flavored salts are delicious. I don't use the popcorn key on the oven since all the kernels are seldom popped when the oven turns off. I set it for 5 minutes and about 3 minutes later return to listen to the 'pops.' When the pops are about 3-4 seconds apart, it's time for me to stop the oven.

Got hooked on popcorn when we lived in Indiana. A fellow acquainted with my boss quite often brought in different 'types' of popcorn he was experimenting with in fields not too far from the small town where we lived at the time. Only years later did I find out this fellow was 'Orville.' Most of the corn he brought in was delicious, with only a few duds
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:05 am
Indiana is, i believe, the world's largest producer of popcorn--Illinios specializes in seed corn, and Iowa in field corn (for feed and industrial uses) . . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 11:33 am
I absolutely hate the smell of microwave buttered popcorn. At work, about the only thing worse is "real" chinese food with lots of fish sauce. To make matters worse, people tend to burn micro-corn.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 11:43 am
cjhsa, I know what you're saying. It seems to me that different brands of microwave popcorn smell differently. A couple of people bring a brand (not sure what it is) that, when it's popped, it smells like dirty socks ... ugh.

I never make it at work, but the kind I make at home always smells good.
0 Replies

suzanneR

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 12:49 am
I think some of the brands smell bad while they're popping. Get a lot of complaints around my house.

The Pop-Secret varieties, seem to pass the sniff test; taste good, too. My fave is the "home style with real butter", or something like that.
0 Replies