Physics

ryoung

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:33 pm
I would like to know if anyone knows what was occupying space before the big bang. You could say there was nothing, but wouldn't nothing have to be made of somthing even if it was very small. Is that a question that cannot be answered. I read in Scientific America that a posibility for Space and Time in our univerce is a sort of web that makes up the fabric of space so small as not to be ever seen, could there be somthing like this for nothing before our universe occupied this space?
Thanks
Mike in Prescott Valley

View best answer, chosen by ryoung
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:16 pm
@ryoung,
All of the space that is now filled in the Universe was created at the Big Bang. Before that there was not even empty space... there was no space. Think about this carefully, there is a big difference between empty space (i.e. space filled with nothing) and no space (i.e. no space existed). The latter is the one that is correct.

There was no space to occupy. This is a little difficult to comprehend, which is more a problem with our minds then with science.

ryoung

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 08:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Great answer, I understand the answer, but you are right, it is very difficult to comprehend "no space". If you could deflate the universe back to the singularity it's hard to imagine space would disappear as it defalated. You would think there was somthing there to take up the area that was just accupied by the universe.
0 Replies