AMIC computer

stang

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:26 pm
Anyone recall the name of a show about a computer named AMIC? in the 50s or early 60s?The computer solved all kinds of intricate problems and always averted some disaster. I believe the program was on Sunday mornings in the NYC area.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,110 • Replies: 5
No top replies

stang

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:59 pm
@stang,
Stangs ADDENDUM-I think the computer's name "AMIC," stood for 'Automatic Mass Integer Calculator' or something close. There were emergencies such as a plane's fuel tank springing a leak and the pilot needing to know how far he could fly and an appropriate airport. AMIC always saved the day. The show was half an hour or less, if I recall correctly. It started with a voice over mention that AMIC had thousands of vacuum tubes and needed incredible amounts of power and water for cooling. I don't know how long the show ran.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:10 pm
@stang,
I have a book on TV shows, from 1946 - 1985. It does not mention AMIC. Are there other key words that might help my search?
stang

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:28 am
@edgarblythe,
I appreciate your help, but that's about all I can remember, I was very young and that show sparked my interest in computers and technology.
I recall that when the voiceover described the lengthy technical name for the computer, it ended by saying, "AMIC to it's friends." It's possible that there were other terms or letters in the name that I don't remember. I believe the computer was modeled after the UNIVAC or ENIAC. I'm almost certain it was in the 50s.
liaRO

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 01:41 pm
@stang,
http://code.google.com/p/my-amic/

amic means friend in romanian

too bad after comunism they stopped producing
liaRO

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 01:42 pm
@liaRO,
OH! and it was in the 80's
0 Replies