If the lord is my shepherd, am I a sheep?

Misti26

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:27 pm
That would all depend on how that person perceives his truth!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:30 pm
Please expand on that idea...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:33 pm
I have to go with bi-polar bear. I get extremely tired of reading the same positions daily.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:58 pm
The word of GOD....is the word of GOD. Its not myth....its not tall tales. Its to be interrupted as it is written. Not taken and used to suit your purposes. Granted, most of us don't live by the Gospel as we should.....but its there, plain and in black and white....with the words of GOD...in RED.

Its was not written by narrow minded Hebrews. It was written by men of God at different eras. What amazes me....is the fact that once they were compiled and put together, how in fact, they have an order to them.

Maybe those that are narrow minded, are those that chose not to believe, because it might make it harder for them to live thier life according God.. Living to empower thierselves through thier sense of what they believe is right or wrong....

And what I don't understand.....is if you don't believe in GOD....why have you even bothered to pick of the Word of GOD, which is also called the Gospel.....for the sake of arguement?

And even for you NON Believers....God is there in your everyday life, whether you want him to be or not. He breathed breath into you.....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:13 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:
The word of GOD....is the word of GOD. Its not myth....its not tall tales. Its to be interrupted as it is written. Not taken and used to suit your purposes. Granted, most of us don't live by the Gospel as we should.....but its there, plain and in black and white....with the words of GOD...in RED.

So as a for-instance, you are saying that the following words should be taken exactly as written:

"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to
his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they
chastise him, his father and mother shall have him apprehended
and brought out to the elders at the gate of his home city, where
...his fellow citizens shall stone him to death. Deuteronomy 22:18ff
"

Quote:
Its was not written by narrow minded Hebrews. It was written by men of God at different eras. What amazes me....is the fact that once they were compiled and put together, how in fact, they have an order to them.

I see! So you are saying that GOD said the following:

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess...such slaves
you may own as chattels, and leave to your sons as their
hereditary property, making them perpetual slaves. Leviticus 25:44ff
"

Quote:
Maybe those that are narrow minded, are those that chose not to believe, because it might make it harder for them to live thier life according God.. Living to empower thierselves through thier sense of what they believe is right or wrong....

That makes absolutely no sense. Try re-writing it. I'd like to comment.

Quote:
And what I don't understand.....is if you don't believe in GOD....why have you even bothered to pick of the Word of GOD, which is also called the Gospel.....for the sake of arguement?

Because this is an Internet forum where topic like this are discussed????

Why would this bother you? I don't "believe in" UFO's or leprechauns or communism, but I certainly have a right to address those issues if I choose.

Quote:
And even for you NON Believers....God is there in your everyday life, whether you want him to be or not. He breathed breath into you.....

Well, perhaps and perhaps not. Why are you being so authoritative about this? Why are you suggesting that nobody else's guess can be right -- just yours?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:02 am
Frank you strike me as a pretty damn smart personÂ… How could you possibly not believe in leprechauns?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 03:13 am
This argument/debate is truly tiresome. I love how Christians are so damn sure that they know the one and only "true" god, and all others are false. The messages of all religious texts are essentially the same, should one be inclined to actually read them. One message, many messengers. Anyone who believes in "true" and "false" gods is missing the point entirely. Give it a few more centuries and the New Testament will most likely be relegated to the occult section of the bookstore, like The Book of Thoth, and The Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosencreutz. That is, if there are still bookstores at that point. Anyone can empower themselves and live morally without the influence of god or religion.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:11 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:

ONe thing I do know about the new testament (and this is a researchable fact) is that NOT ONE SINGLE WORD was written about Jesus Christ until 50 years after his death.
We all did the experiment at school where a message was passed along a group of people, and we heard how much it changed.
This story was passed through GENERATIONS. It's been twisted so much, that the very nature of humans means it cannot under any circumstances be taken as anything remotely resembling the facts.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:32 am
I always wanted a cheesehead, but I like the Cowboys, is that wrong?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 08:08 am
NNY wrote:
I always wanted a cheesehead, but I like the Cowboys, is that wrong?
I hope not. Because... I've secretly always thought the Viking Head-Gear was the bomb. Embarrassed How cool one must feel wearing that furry thing with the horns. Confused By the way; it's never too late to convert to cheeseheadism! :wink: Thou should seek out Sozobe... She can help get you started by providing you with internet cheese. Cool
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:21 pm
I'm going for them now since da boys were crushed by the panthers. EVERYONE's going for them, Brett's from MS, and he's basically our only claim to fame, besides the whole ignorant stereotype. All the things the personal things and blah blah blah, everyone has to go for the Pack, or their bastards! Oh yes, that game, was really really good... Really.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:08 pm
Wilso wrote:
This story was passed through GENERATIONS. It's been twisted so much, that the very nature of humans means it cannot under any circumstances be taken as anything remotely resembling the facts.

I was taught that it was told directly from the apostles to the scribes. Still, they had plenty of time to forget things and fabricate untruths about the guy.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:09 am
Ohh give me a break.......

You know, this arguement is old and therefore I decline to even attempt a reply other than this.

I believe as I do.....you believe as you do and I'm leaving it alone.

Amen!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 12:21 pm
NNY wrote:
I'm going for them now since da boys were crushed by the panthers. EVERYONE's going for them, Brett's from MS, and he's basically our only claim to fame, besides the whole ignorant stereotype. All the things the personal things and blah blah blah, everyone has to go for the Pack, or their bastards! Oh yes, that game, was really really good... Really.

If you really do like the Pack, you better tune in on Sunday, because they are playing their last game of the season that day.

Eagles gonna kick ass on them.

Eagles goin' all the way.

And I hate the Eagles!

(But I'm gonna be rootin' for 'em in the Super Bowl!)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 02:13 pm
He just expects everybody to follow like one.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:00 pm
Makesmeshiver--thanks for telling me that you won't reply. Very Happy

Cicerone--Have you ever been on the eye? Great view...
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 09:30 pm
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so let's keep it civil.

If everybody thought the same, there would be no point in these discussion groups. So don't take it personally if someone doesn't see it your way, we're all works in progress.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:52 am
Individual, Yes, for the first time last March when we had our first A2K London Gathering. Since March is low tourist season, our 'car' had only five people in it. I think somebody said they usually have about 35 in in car. We were able to move around and take some great photos. It was awesome! BTW, London is one of my favorite destinations, but the per diem is prohibitive. $5.00 for a cup of coffee and donuts that I can get for less than $2 at home. Wink
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:57 am
Re: If the lord is my shepherd, am I a sheep?
Individual wrote:
Does the bible want me to try my best to fit in and be like everyone else? Does it mean that I am expected to follow whatever god wants me to do? What kind of god would want us to be sheep?

1) The bible does not want. It's just a book, without any feelings or desires of it's own.

2) The bible does not mean for you, or expect you to, follow anything. It's not capable of intention or independent thought because it's merely an inanimate object.

Whatever meaning or expectation that exists in the world comes from you.
So let yourself create it. Think for yourself, and evolve whatever unique understanding that makes sense to you.

To speak of a book as though it has conscious thought
is like speaking of god as though it has conscious thought --
a sentient being that lives far away in a place called heaven,
complete with human concepts, foibles, and fallacies.

It's poetic language, symbolic and inspiring, but not literally accurate and therefore misleading if taken too far.

PS -- Perhaps God wants us to be sheep because He is a sheep?
(Heh. As if God, sheep, and you are different things)
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 08:27 pm
Your Welcome Individual......lol
0 Replies