If the lord is my shepherd, am I a sheep?

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 09:53 pm
Does the bible want me to try my best to fit in and be like everyone else? Does it mean that I am expected to follow whatever god wants me to do? What kind of god would want us to be sheep?

edit:changed the entire question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,059 • Replies: 39
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 10:38 pm
God does not want us to be sheep. It is an analogy, in the fact that you are part of his flock and he is there to guide you, just as a shepherd would guide his own sheep.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 10:54 pm
It means what it says:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want!

He will always take care of you, as long as you trust and believe in Him.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 10:56 pm
So that's what you learn in Sunday school...
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 10:58 pm
Why would someone write the bible so that it can be interpereted in so many ways when it is supposed to be the absolute and distilled truth?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:15 am
There is only one right way to interpret the bible! Just because it is interpreted in many different way by different churches, doesn't make their interpretation correct.

Apart from any theory of inspiration; or any theory of how the Bible books came to their present form; or how much the text may have suffered in transmission at the hands of editors and copyists; apart from the question of how much is to be interpreted literally and how much figuratively, or what is historical and what may be poetical; if we will assume that the Bible is just what it appears to be, and study its books to know their contents, we will find there a Unity of Thought indicating that One Mind inspired the writing and compilation of the whole series of books; that it bears on its face the stamp of its Author; that it is in a unique and distinctive sense THE WORD OF GOD.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 12:35 am
Oh god! First of all, I don't even believe he exists beyond the confines of the human skull. And I was pretty sure that matthew and the like weren't one person.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 02:37 am
You missed her point, I don't believe in God, but your passing up everything anyone says just to keep trying to negate God's existance, and that's um, insecure.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:04 am
If you believe in God, you're most likely a sheep.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:31 am
Well, judging by your avatar...
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:29 am
Misti26 wrote:
There is only one right way to interpret the bible! Just because it is interpreted in many different way by different churches, doesn't make their interpretation correct.

Apart from any theory of inspiration; or any theory of how the Bible books came to their present form; or how much the text may have suffered in transmission at the hands of editors and copyists; apart from the question of how much is to be interpreted literally and how much figuratively, or what is historical and what may be poetical; if we will assume that the Bible is just what it appears to be, and study its books to know their contents, we will find there a Unity of Thought indicating that One Mind inspired the writing and compilation of the whole series of books; that it bears on its face the stamp of its Author; that it is in a unique and distinctive sense THE WORD OF GOD.

What is the basis of these claims for the bible?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:09 am
And what happens to sheep in the flock?

Shaved and or eaten.

Don't like the analogy at all.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:42 am
Sheep means exactly what sheep means -- and most religious people are sheep -- frightened creatures who want to be herded.

As for the idea that one can look at the Bible and come away convinced that it "...bears on its face the stamp of its Author; that it is in a unique and distinctive sense THE WORD OF GOD"...

...I could not disagree more.

Any reasonable look at the Bible -- and open-minded, objective reading of it should lead one to assume or guess that it is the work of relatively unsophisticated, relatively unknowledeable, superstitious ancient Hebrews.

One of the main reasons there are so many different -- and differing -- interpretations of the Bible is because almost nobody thinks a god would act like the god described in the Bible
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:37 am
The bible is a story book. A collection of stories. Some likely based in truth. Some based in mythology. No more, no less. An interesting read if you like history and sociology.

There are other non-Christian religious texts which make a great deal more sense, and are much better literature. All of those translation of translations of the texts that became the bible turned it into literary dreck.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:43 am
history will point to many a sheep in wolves clothing
& vice versa
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:11 am
This subject is impossible to debate..no one ever changes their mind.

I say...Baahhhh
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:07 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
This subject is impossible to debate..no one ever changes their mind.

I say...Baahhhh

Whatcha do? Shed your skin so you could say baahhhh?

I dinna hardly recognize ya, mate.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:29 am
Arg is a great saying, though there really isn't much of a pun value...
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:40 pm
Bipolar Bear, you've made the most sense here! And, if nobody ever changes their mind, does that tell you they are focused on everything they've believed to be correct, or does it tell you they WILL NOT believe otherwise, right or wrong!

I prefer to think of myself as "open minded" and willing to change, if I see fit!

However, I do respect all your opinions, you are entitled to them and so am I.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:50 pm
Misty, assume that the bible can be interpreted in many different ways. Why would someone write the absolute truth in any way other than the absolute?
0 Replies