Starting up an idle water softener

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:12 pm
I recently picked up a softener that sat idle for almost 2 years, it is a 45K(10 x 54) unit with a Fleck 5600 metered valve, the unit is 6 years old. I want to hook it up at my home, and would like some tips on properly starting it up and putting it back into service. Also, is there any checks I should do before I actually plumb it in? Thanks for your help in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,426 • Replies: 1
No top replies

rmh2o

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:43 pm
@inthelight,
Visually inspect to make sure there are no cracks in tank. Run the valve manually through the cycles to see how easily it cycles through. Take note as to how easy it is to turn . You may want to take valve apart and lubricate all the pistons/seals with silicone. Take the eductor assembly apart and clean it all out, including nozzle. When you get ready to start it up add good salt ( Dura Cube or Hardi Cube NO additives) to salt tank with 5 gallons of water. Also add about 1/8 cup of household bleach to kill any bacteria that may be present after it set for so long. Make sure you get a proper water analysis (hardness, iron, PH, bacteria, nitrates, etc.) and let us know so we can help you set it up properly.
RJ
0 Replies