Sexism article

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 02:57 am
I am interested in how women feel about sexism and if it still happens today. It would be great if you could answer some questions.
1) Do you feel that sexism still happens today?
2) Does it affect mainly men or women?
3) Have you ever experienced sexism at work?
4) How did you deal with it?
5) What advice would you give to someone who had?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,863 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:20 am
@xjemstarx,
Hi xjemstarz,

1) Do you feel that sexism still happens today?

Yes.

2) Does it affect mainly men or women?

Both, in different ways.

3) Have you ever experienced sexism at work?

Yes.

4) How did you deal with it?

Stayed extremely professional, kept records.

5) What advice would you give to someone who had?

Same as above (though depends a lot on the specific situation).
0 Replies

joijoi

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 11:02 pm
@xjemstarx,
1) Do you feel that sexism still happens today? Yes, most definitely
2) Does it affect mainly men or women? It unfortunately affects both equally
3) Have you ever experienced sexism at work? I do not have a job, but I have at school.
4) How did you deal with it? I try my best to ignore it no matter how much it irks me
5) What advice would you give to someone who had? ... had what?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 11:04 pm
@xjemstarx,
Are men allowed in this thread?
0 Replies

gravytrain

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 03:51 pm
Both men & women are victims of sexism, but sexism against men is acceptable within our society. Examples

Fathers have fewer rights
It is acceptable for a woman to attack a man, physically & verbally
A man is expected to pay when dating a woman
Men get longer jail sentences compared to women who have committed the same crime
Divorce Courts tend to always favour women
Feminist are campaigning for more women to be promoted to the boardroom, but if you were to have an overview of organisations as a whole, you would discover instances, whereby no men are employed within a department . Therefore equality for men in the workplace is ignored.

0 Replies

Josh77

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:12 am
@xjemstarx,
It is shameful to see sexism day in day out. Although it is slowly diminishing, it is still very much present. I have one particular incident I would like to share. I hold an executive position in a private firm. A managerial position was made vacant, and the applicants were reliant on me in indicating whether or not they had secured the job. One male and five females applied for the job. I gave the job to the male. A number of co-workers and staff, questioned my reasoning, and I was forced to make a statement justifying the decision, that it was based on the context of the position as opposed to sexist ideologies.

Essentially what I told them was this. I don't care who the hell you are, where you come from, what language you speak and what gender you are. All I care for is who is going to bloody complete the job to the best of their ability. I was taught business studies from a young age, and the most important role was the delegation of power and responsibility. Without sounding offensive, the five other females weren't viable for the position, they simply did not possess the credentials and experience that the male applicant had.

However this statement was ineffective. I was deeply saddened by this, as I had felt as though I had been part of some form of partiality and bias. But I realise that there is nothing wrong with me, it is the way that many people approach sexism. I feel as though some people need to consider their thoughts before animating them. My ideals have been warped to adhere to some fallacious ideologies.
0 Replies