a recipe that worked - spanish chicken, or whatever

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 04:12 pm
I had to figure out US measures for this by looking at http://www.onlineconversion.com/
but that was easy

This turned out delicious, even extremely delicious.
quoting -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/31/spanish-chicken-with-garlic-recipe

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/3/25/1301053921489/Chicken-with-garlic-008.jpg

Spanish chicken with garlic recipe
Pollo al ajillo is a traditional, very Spanish slow-cooked stew
Chicken with garlic (pollo al ajillo) from Stew! by Genevieve Taylor. Photograph: Mike Cooper /Absolute Press

Don't be put off by the sheer quantity of garlic in this traditional Spanish garlic and white wine chicken recipe. The slow braising really mellows it out, giving you an almost roasted flavour. I like to eat this with lots of crusty bread to mop up the delicious sauce and a sharp green palate-cleansing salad.

Stew!: 100 Splendidly Simple Recipes
by Genevieve Taylor

Serves 4–6
Takes 15–20 minutes to make, plus overnight marinating, and 1½ hours to cook

1kg chicken legs - something like 2.2 pounds. Osso - Mine added up to 2.9, so I slightly upped measurements.
300ml white wine - Osso - my measuring cup shows mls., so, easy.
100ml extra virgin olive oil
3 whole heads garlic, unpeeled and halved horizontally
3–4 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
200ml chicken stock (osso used 1 cup)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
generous handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
crusty bread and green salad, to serve

Place the chicken legs in a large non-metallic bowl and pour over the white wine and extra virgin olive oil. Add the garlic and thyme and season well with salt and black pepper. Stir thoroughly, cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge overnight.

When you are ready to begin cooking, preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. (350F/or close enough.=/osso

Remove the chicken from the marinade, scraping off and reserving as much of the marinade as possible. Lay the chicken on a plate and pat dry with kitchen paper.

Heat the olive oil in a large, flameproof casserole until smoking hot. Fry the chicken pieces on both sides until crisp and golden.

Add the reserved marinade, along with the garlic and thyme, and stock to the casserole. Bring up to the boil and cover with a lid. Transfer to the oven and cook for 1½ hours or until the chicken is so tender it is falling off the bone.

Carefully remove the chicken to a serving dish, along with the garlic cloves, and keep warm. Place the casserole over a high heat and boil the sauce really rapidly, whisking to emulsify the oil with the wine. Once the sauce is glossy and reduced, pour it over the chicken and garnish with the flat-leaf parsley. Serve with the bread and salad.

Osso, I didn't do that last bit. And I threw the parsley in earlier.

Not suitable for freezing.
Osso - of course not, it will have been scarfed up. The liquid would probably be good for soup or sauce.

• This recipe is taken from Stew! 100 Splendidly Simple Recipes by Genevieve Taylor with photographs by Mike Cooper (Absolute Press, £12.99).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, man, this was really good.

I happened not to have thyme on hand - I used dried basil and mexican oregano instead, plus the fresh parsley.

I didn't have that much garlic, fresh anyway, but I had two heads of roasted garlic to use.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,233 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 04:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Sounds wonderful.
So your garlic was already roasted when you put it in the marinade overnight?

I am always afraid of frying/braising in my casseroles.
Joe(I have to get over that)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 04:40 pm
@Joe Nation,
Yes. My "fresh" garlic was somewhat aged and so was my roasted garlic (it keeps well). All in all, it approached three heads of garlic or close enough.

I fried (in my case sauteed, I don't fry in the ordinary sense) in a usual teflon type pan and transferred it all to a good le creuset thing. (enamelled cast iron, purchased when I had bucks). Could have put it in my old cast iron dutch oven. I suppose a pyrex dish would work.

I wouldn't flame a glass casserole..

Actually I did once, but I caught myself in time.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
That's how I usually do it. First, in the sauté pan, then in the casserole in the oven.

I did do a stovetop try with a CorningWare dish a few years ago, (actually many years) and it took me two years to get the black marks off the damned thing.

Joe(many soap pads and long soaks)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 07:49 pm
@Joe Nation,
We could be like my friend Bonnie, major cook, who lets her cookware get as baked scunge but whose al dente is fastidiously on point.. She had a garden to tend to and miles to run and no interest in scouring.

She's a kind of idol..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
This is a woman who made gnocchi for her toddler..
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Looks delicious, Osso!

I thought there were some legs in the freezer, but only breasts, though they're bone-in, skin-on. I wonder how the recipe will work with those ...

Chicken's on the menu for tomorrow, so I'll give it a try.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:17 pm
@mckenzie,
I assume that would be fine. The little plastic pallette of chicken legs I bought also had a lot of bones. I think the recipe has a lot of leeway.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:22 pm
@mckenzie,
I think skin on is good..
0 Replies