Living without the New York Times

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 06:41 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't have a smartphone, no wifi, so no go, but other stuff in the article is useful.
Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 06:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I used to use the NYT a lot, but now mostly not. You can get around the limit for the moment by finding it on Yahoo News or Google news...I sometimes go to the NYT homepage, see something that I want to read, then use a couple choice words in yahoo news search to get to it, either linked to the NYT's or someone carrying it on AP. Going this way does not count on your limit.

from the article re the Lincoln offer

Quote:
Readers who come to Times articles through links from search, blogs and social media will be able to read that content even if they've hit their max.

There will be limits on reading Times content that way, however; visitors from Google will get hit a five-article daily limit.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 07:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
There will be limits on reading Times content that way, however; visitors from Google will get hit a five-article daily limit.
I did not know that....OK, the limit is 150 through Yahoo plus 20 through the homepage..if I am understanding. I would expect that someone has already some cheat to get around the wall easier on download, but it is not worth the trouble to me, I will go elsewhere. We already saw several columnists leave, I should think that Dowd and the rest will soon follow, as their influence is greatly diminished now. Studies show only about 1% of those who used sites when they were free pay up and continue after the pay walls go up. NYT's.com had over 20 million unigue users before the wall, they were hoping that 10% would pay and stay, but I doubt it happens. That is a lot of readership loss for Dowd et al.
BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 08:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Guys this paywall is a joke I run IE8 on a XP machine in a sandbox for security.

The program I used is name sandboxie and it can be downloaded for free.

I just selected 20 stories on the NYT website and hit this paywall and then I deleted the browser from the sandbox and call in a new one. A five seconds operation if that.

No paywall or to state it another way I was back to 20 stories once more.

I am sure there is many other ways to get around this paywall also however sandboxie add a hell of a lot to anyone computer security.
BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 09:58 pm
@BillRM,
Getting around NY Times paywall is even easier than you thought
Posted by John Moe on March 29, 2011 7:13 AM
Now that the paywall is officially up and running, Danny Sullivan from Search Engine Land put it through its paces to see what kind of reading makes you hit the wall and what doesn’t. I actually had a lot of fun reading his tweets on the subject last night as he discovered all kinds of inconsistencies. To begin with, links from Google.com trigger the 20 articles per month limit but Google Australia and Google UK do not. Social media sites are not supposed to count but Google Reader and Google Buzz seem to count anyway. Bing and Yahoo count but Ask.com and Blekko.com don’t. Perhaps most interesting were Danny’s really simple workarounds:

•Using the private or “incognito” mode of modern browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer
•Clearing your nytimes.com cookies (and probably just one specific cookie, but I haven’t pinned that down)
•Using another browser, if you have more than one on your computer.
The upshot is that the New York Times seems to have no consistent plan in place to manage this paywall in a mindful manner. They spent 40 million dollars on it.

roger

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:47 pm
@BillRM,
That's cute. I wonder if that's more or less than they spent on Abuzz.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

That's cute. I wonder if that's more or less than they spent on Abuzz.
This is the first I am hearing of it, but NYT management laying a goose egg should always be considered highly probable.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I have been intentionally shying away from the NYTimes since the new policy has gone into effect.

I am completely oblivious to this new policy (& new costs).
I access the NYT quite a bit & have seen no impact of it yet. (touch wood)
Does the new policy affect all who access the site, or only those who are in the US, or north America?
If it's going to cost me to read the Times, then I'll simply stop reading it.
msolga

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:10 am
@msolga,
Just read this.
Most of you will already know about these details, but I'm posting this for those who don't:

Letter to Our Readers: Times Begins Digital Subscriptions:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/opinion/l28times.html?_r=1&WT.mc_id=ED-D-I-NYT-MOD-BIG-TTIDS-ROS-0411-NA&WT.mc_ev=click
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 05:48 am
I'm an actual subscriber -- daily home delivery -- and whenever I go to the NYT site I'm logged in, with a little "Welcome [my username]" in the corner. So I was concerned about this in terms of how it'd affect the NYT (it seems like a stupid decision and I like the NYT in general) but didn't think I would run into any problems with it.

But yesterday, clicked on something and lo and behold, I got the dreaded firewall (20th article this month). Eh??

I remembered that I'd gotten an email about the changeover -- which seemed to me to be mostly an FYI since I already have an account on the website, which is what they were telling me to do -- so I went ahead and found that back and clicked on links and it took me to some other account I had in the past, which doesn't seem correct but the firewall is gone so I'm not going to mess with it right now.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:42 am
I've gotten around the paywalls on both the WSJ and NYT by typing the exact name of the article into Google. Ha! I thought I had a secret weapon!
0 Replies