The Village Voice, Officially Dead, age almost 63

Sturgis

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2018 03:08 pm
The Village Voice newspaper, founded back in October 1955 by Dan Wolf, Ed Fancher and Norman Mailer as a local weekly, has ceased all operations.

It started out in an apartment, grew and moved a few times. Some 5 years back, it essentially purchased a box of death nails and a few hammers. It was then that it moved way downtown to Maiden Land in around the Financial District.

It had survived the 1976 takeover by Rupert Murdoch, but this latest change was too much.

Going to The Financial District was about as far from its origins as possible. It was started as a local in a neighborhood of life, literature, music, art, and openness. Where often you could find the disenfranchised, the disheartened and the disenchanted. Suddenly it was in amongst the moneychangers, the greedy corporate ladder climbers. A death knell was sounded and could be heard all the way to old San Francisco.

From Greenwich Village, when there was just one Village, before real estate moguls and gentrifiers created a space known as the East Village to downtown.

Still not content, about a year ago and under new ownership, they decided to go "all digital". Internet only.

And now, it is deceased.

www.gothamist.com/2018/08/31/village_voice_is_officially_dead.php

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2018 04:04 pm
@Sturgis,

sad to see it go.

thirty years ago jespah and i met thru their Personals...
Sturgis

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2018 11:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm glad it was around for the both of you. Seems it brought together a good fit.

Now your next order of business is to make sure all is in order for her special day (can never recall the exact date).

hightor

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2018 02:54 am
@Sturgis,
Jules Feiffer!

This is sad news, but not unexpected considering the state of print media these days. Damn, when I was in high school in suburban NY I subscribed to the Voice and I just felt so ******* hip. Getting it in the mail when I was in Vietnam was particularly sweet.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2018 04:56 am
@Region Philbis,
Shniff.
0 Replies