Science Question - Argument with wife.

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:30 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Are you asking about Buoyancy, or Weight, or Mass?

That depends Ros.
Can i salvage a tecnical victory with one of them?
engineer

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:36 pm
@dadpad,
No, but it might impress her if you mastered all those terms in defeat.
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:42 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

No, but it might impress her if you mastered all those terms in defeat.

I doubt that.
Currently she exploring the question would an empty jar weigh more than one with my penis in it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:48 pm
What's the weight difference?

If a jar of air weights exactly one pound and you pull a vacuum on the contents, what is the new weight of the jar.

I need data.
Joe (Not circumspection)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:58 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
My wife is convinced that a jar full of vaccume weighs less than a jar full of air.
Assume an air tight cover that will hold an absolute vaccume.

My theory is that the air presure outside the jar continues to press down at a consistent pressure regardless of what pressure is inside the jar and that the jar will weigh the same with or without vaccume.
Am I right?

African or European jar?
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 11:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

African or European jar?

Velocity doesnt come into it Tico.

what?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:03 am
@dadpad,
Mompad is right. I'm gonna get a hot air balloon and fill it with vacumn. We going to go up like a rocket.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:09 am
@roger,
Quote:
Concept Title: Vacuum-based lighter-than-air craft
Description: This concept is for a very large lighter-than-air platform that uses a partial vacuum to generate lift rather than a low density gas (e.g., hydrogen, helium). The key feature of such a craft is the need for it to be very large.

http://csat.au.af.mil/2025/concepts/900897.HTM
dadpad

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:22 am
Is all this is true why not mak cars with vacuum spaces in the side panels and roof.
They would be lighter and cost less fuel to run.
laughoutlood

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:26 am
@dadpad,
I often feel quite light-headed which gives one pause for thought whether or not a vacuum has anything to do with it.

In those empty moments I pause in wonderment not remembering what I've forgotten but with the contented feeling that a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
roger

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Great stuff, but I just tried it. My balloon is flatter than a fritter. What went wrong?
dadpad

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 01:11 am
@laughoutlood,
Quote:
I often feel quite light-headed which gives one pause for thought whether or not a vacuum has anything to do with it.

Does the vacuume give you an edge orally, so to speak?.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 03:15 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Is all this is true why not mak cars with vacuum spaces in the side panels and roof.
They would be lighter and cost less fuel to run.

A panel with a vacuum chamber would weigh more than one with air inside because it would need to be made strong enough to resist the pressure of the atmosphere which would try to flatten it, and in any case the weight of such a small volume of air would be quite small. Air weighs 1.2 kg per cubic metre at sea level. The whole of a typical car's interior is around 5 cubic metres so all the air in a car's inside would weigh around 6 kg. Just the air in the panels would be a negligible weight, and the panels would be heavier thus cancelling out (and more) any energy savings.

The trouble with "vacuum balloons" is that a strong enough vessel would need to be so heavy that the buoyancy afforded by the vacuum would be more than cancelled.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 03:18 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Great stuff, but I just tried it. My balloon is flatter than a fritter. What went wrong?
Did u cram enuf vacuum into it ?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 03:56 am
what about...
if the jar was in another dimension?
contrex

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 04:05 am
Some simple number stuff. A spherical vessel with an internal volume of 1 cubic metre would be 1.24 metres across (about 4 feet). At sea level, If you had 2 such vessels, one filled with air at the local atmospheric pressure, and one with a vacuum, the one with air in would weigh 1.2 kg (around 2lb 11 oz) more. However, the surface area of the vessel would be 12.5 square metres and the atmosphere would press on it with a force of 132 metric tonnes (about 146 short tons). Thus the vessel would have to be very stoutly made and would be quite heavy. (Many tons)

http://www.lesker.com/newweb/chambers/jpg/photo/Photo-CH-18inSphere_Chamber.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 04:25 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
what about...
One with heavy vacuums ?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 04:34 am
@contrex,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

dadpad wrote:
what about...
One with heavy vacuums ?

and aliens... who abduct the jar.

contrex wrote:

Some simple number stuff. A spherical vessel with an internal volume of 1 cubic metre would be 1.24 metres across (about 4 feet). At sea level, If you had 2 such vessels, one filled with air at the local atmospheric pressure, and one with a vacuum, the one with air in would weigh 1.2 kg (around 2lb 11 oz) more. However, the surface area of the vessel would be 12.5 square metres and the atmosphere would press on it with a force of 132 metric tonnes (about 146 short tons). Thus the vessel would have to be very stoutly made and would be quite heavy. (Many tons)

http://www.lesker.com/newweb/chambers/jpg/photo/Photo-CH-18inSphere_Chamber.jpg

Now... thats just silly contrex. Your vessel bears no resemblance to a jar. and you have two of them. how are you gonna carry them down to the beach.
Francis

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:05 am
DP wrote:
how are you gonna carry them down to the beach.

Sheesh! Quite simple:
- Get a reversible pump, a balloon and a helium tank.
- Attach the balloon to the jar, fill the balloon with helium, go to the beach pulling the balloon with a string.
- When you arrive at the beach, connect the pump in reverse to the jar, make the vacuum..

That's it! Twisted Evil
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 06:07 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

dadpad wrote:
what about...
One with heavy vacuums ?

and aliens... who abduct the jar.
Have u consulted the I.N.S. ?