What d'ya do on New Years Eve?

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:12 pm
farmerman, what d'ya think of this alt-country stuff, like ryan adams, steve earle, wilco, the jayhawks, calexico?

(oooo man, i had to look up one of these guys cause i couldnt think of the name, and what band do i see listed too? southern culture on the skids! heh! never thought they'd be listed as alt-country, but damn, i saw 'em live here at the cafe i worked at & were they red hot!)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:06 pm
nimh-Im not familiar with the names you posted but theres plenty of room for good bands.In US most CW music nowadays is pretty much plabbabbabbabba.its all formulaic and no ones taking any chances. i cannot stand the erzats patriotic koopka that Allan JAckson sings but, like the wave of Christian rock, it seems to be what most of the audiences want.
I do like Allison Krause and Union Station, also Ricky Scaggs, Vince gill,Lyle Lovett,Randy Kohrs,Paddy Maloney, but I truly like doing covers of willie, the Carters, Johny cash, and flatts and Scruggs and some of the cHIEFTANS WORK (we have a banjo player that has all the drunks on their feet ) We also do a lot of country covers of old Hoagy Carmichael stuff and some Bob Marley. (we do Bob with a little twang)
When Im home we practice at least 2 times a week and since my instrument is the most complicated, they always meet over here at our house.
my son has no appreciation for the sound, but this is for me not him.
I like some of Hank Williams. i really like hank Jr. his riffs are immense . We do a version of his version of "Keep your hands to yourself"

lest you think Im a total hick, I also play some two guitar pieces on some Bach airs and variations. I play the dobro and my partner plays a light bass guitar and wee do a knock oput version of Sheep may safely graze, and air on a G string.

Oh, fergot, "dont take your guns to town " is an old Johny Cash song, bonapartes retreat is really an instrumental breakdown featuring a lot of instruments .
our next session in front of people is on St PAtricks day. We have a chameleon like ability to sound very Irish if we want so we will be brushing up on tin whistelry and we gotta find an Irish bagpipe player.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
Skids is cool, my dad also plays the pedal steel and songs like farmerman mentioned.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:15 pm
nimh wrote:
LOL!

She was using her alias, Delilah Chase, so I didn't know her true identity til now.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:17 pm
SCOTS are from my neck of the woods. Not my cup of tea, but tremendously good.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:19 pm
farmerman wrote:
nimh-Im not familiar with the names you posted but theres plenty of room for good bands.In US most CW music nowadays is pretty much plabbabbabbabba.its all formulaic and no ones taking any chances. i cannot stand the erzats patriotic koopka that Allan JAckson sings but, like the wave of Christian rock, it seems to be what most of the audiences want.

Heh, thats funny - I mean, cause "alt-country" stands for "alternative country", and pretty much the only thing that all those bands have in common, is that they cant stand the pre-formatted no-risk patriotic plabbabbabbabba thats mainstream top-of-the-charts country music nowadays, either. So who knows, you might like some of them musicians, since they share your dislikes! "Alt-country" musicians, from what I've understood of it, pretty much take their cue from, say, Johnny Cash, Gram Parsons, Townes van Zandt - they're all very different, but they're all authentic, not afraid of some grimness at its time and not afraid of some musical journeying, either.

I dont know all that much from country myself, but I love Johnny Cash and I love Steve Earle. And going way back in time, I love Woody Guthrie, too, but I guess thats folk, not CW.

Sounds like you're getting some good times from your music, cool!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:36 pm
I recall some stuff by a group called Whiskeytown, they were an alt CW group, dont know where they went in the new millenium. The only problem i have with many of the alt groups is the over- use of Violas and cellos. I dont like to interpret a too large orchestral sound. WHereas del Mcoury will look around for traditional Appalachian instruments (unfretted banjos and tin mandolins) . EVen that Earl Scruggs and Friends album last year had waay too many instruments . Their foggy Mtn breakdown was a 6 minute piece of crap in which a lot of really good musicians got 25 seconds . You could hear the time score speed up as they got near the end. It was a p[honed in album .
We will never do anything other than play locally , unless Willies bus breaks down in our town and we get to audition. So we pick songs that strike us as neat and put our own spin on the piece. We practice this SUnday , and probably will have a F/ball game on

Ill punch iin some of the names im not familiar with and see whether I cant get a taste .
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:49 pm
Well, I'm gonna look up those musicians you mention, cause - I told ya I didnt know much about CW - I dont know of Allison Krause and Union Station, Ricky Scaggs, Vince gill, Randy Kohrs, Paddy Maloney, del Mcoury - or Hoagy Carmichael!

Talk of Appalachian, I do own one album that I really like, tho, its cute ... <looks up> Fiddlin' John Carson and Moonshine Kate! Recordings from the twenties ... there's this song called "I'm Nine Hundred Miles from Home" thats beautiful.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 09:17 pm
Fiddlin John Carson--man youre hard core. I have some sheet music of his 'Little ole log cabin in the lane" I believe that was recorded in like 1925 or sometime before the birth of decent sound reproduction. What do you have some remastered stuff?
woooeee,

Hoagie Carmichael was a sort of jazz vocalist and song writer pianist in the 40s( 1940s-I better be specific with you) He did a lot of old standards like stardust and Blue Moon,Georgia on My Mind, Winter Moon, buttermilk sky that Willie had recorded in his style and we do covers in our style. Hoagies sound, though more jazz, has been well countrified . I mean Georgia on My mind by Ray Charles, cmon, this is the best cover song of the century
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 09:43 pm
farmerman wrote:
Fiddlin John Carson--man youre hard core. I have some sheet music of his 'Little ole log cabin in the lane" I believe that was recorded in like 1925 or sometime before the birth of decent sound reproduction. What do you have some remastered stuff?

Heh, just an odd find - I liked roving round for curiosities (tho its not like I've got an impressive collection or anything). Came across this one, if I remember correctly, in this amazing little record shop in Maastricht, where the records were stacked up to the ceiling. I was looking for East-European music (oh yeh thats true - thats also where I bought this amazing Katalin Karady album, of which a later Hungarian studymate said, "thats what my granma always listened to!" ;-)) ... the East European music was back in a corner that probably once was the bathroom ... and so was this record <grins>.

It appeared on Rounder Records - remastered, yeh - in 1973. "Supported by a grant from the National Endowment for Humanities", heh. Its got this amazing eight-page inlay with bio, lyrics and discography, plus a reproduction of a 1925 Radio Digest Illustrated article on the guy ;-).

(Ehm - I'm not really one of those die-hard nerds - I just like interesting stuff ;-)

farmerman wrote:
Hoagie Carmichael was a sort of jazz vocalist and song writer pianist in the 40s( 1940s-I better be specific with you)

<giggles>
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 10:05 pm
Nimh, farmerman...mind if I but in...
I think we should get together and go bowling. Steve Earle and Town Van Zandt are brilliant lyrists. I also like Lyle Lovett, Tim O'Brien, a couple local acts Corb Lund, Craig Korth - Jeruselum Ridge and not so local Fred Eaglesmith.
For the last few years I've been listening to a radio station and have been introduced to a completly new/old format, many programs feature the musicians you mention above. They feature a really good bluegrass program amoung others. I've come to adore the talent and purity of the high lonesome sound.

Hoagie, Woody, Johnny, Ricky, Paddy, Allison and Vince the list is endless. I so....agree with Ray's version of Georgia. You have good taste.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 12:04 am
Took two sleeping pills and went to bed.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:56 am
First, I went to the Liquor Store and loaded up with the obligatory beer and hard liquor. I chose a 40oz of Colt 45, a couple cans of Sapporo Draft, and a bottle of Smirnoff. Then I went to this party - which turned out to be pretty flat. However, there were some hot Chinese girls there so I chose to stick around for a few hours. All attempts to hook up with those girls ended in disasterous failure.

Later on, I hooked up with a few other friends and headed downtown (Toronto) for another party. This one was at a hotel and was much better. Went to Nathan Philips Square (the Canadian equivalent of Times Square) for the countdown. Got some street meat. Went back to hotel - got drunk, high, found girls. Left with girls to a Hotel in Scarborough (the closest Toronto comes to a ghetto.) No sex was forthcoming. Chilled at hotel untill I passed out on the floor. Woke up, drank a bottle of Alize, hopped on the subway. Got off near my friends house around 1:30 pm and slept for a few hours before returning home.

Edit: I crammed alot into my New Years, but by the end of it all, I couldn't help but feel... unfullfilled. Sometimes it feels as if I am just going through the motions. However, after reading the rest of this depressing thread, I feel like the ******* king of New Years Eve. Congratulations.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:47 am
well Lion, its all a matter of whether every moment of your life is gonna be in your biography. im sure when it comes out we will all run out and buy a copy, and i can truthfully say
'I knew him when he was a big loser"

ceili, thats one thing i really enjoy about Canadian Radio. I often record these live sets or archive recordings of Cape Breton Folk Bands and some of the Bluegrass from up there , and of course, i love anything by Stan Rogers. His poetry is great.
Im gonna look up those artists youve posted to see whether theres any MP3 stuff. The most famous (IMO) of alt bluegrass were a group from DC in the 80s called 'The Seldom Seen" They were doing everything from Beatles to Ry Cooder in Bluegrass. Very edgy. Then they got commercial and with the cellos and big orchestra sounds. i wish they would come out with a back to their roots set. Maybe theyve broken up or died. They were a group of guys in their 50s and 60s then , but they started bringing new blood on in the late 80s
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:30 am
farmerman wrote:
well Lion, its all a matter of whether every moment of your life is gonna be in your biography. im sure when it comes out we will all run out and buy a copy, and i can truthfully say
'I knew him when he was a big loser"

Touche. My initial impression of you is that you are a 15-year-old who has been trapped in a log cabin his entire life, living precariously through the internet, with nothing but a computer and the collected works of every Honky folk artist imaginable. Can't explain why.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:49 am
Hmmm - well, I had a great New Year's Eve!

Went out to lunch with a dear friend - consumed a number of scotches - great conversation, great meal, reasonable scotch. Went to a film - which we enjoyed - went sales shopping - found a few things I really needed at good prices, despite scotch.

Later - went to another friend's birthday/New Year's Eve party - very pleasant - at midnight, strolled down the street to where we could see the fireworks in the city centre - lots of other people from other parties joined us, and it was a friendly, huggy, silly time. Went back to our party, stayed on until there were only a few of us left, and had a very funny, affectionate friends type of night/morning.

Went home - slept a lot.....
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:11 am
I have spent many a New Year's Eve travelling home from a holiday vacation, so it's the weird world of deserted terminals, unpalatable fast food, and interstate gas stations for me. It's depressing...never liked New Years Eve, but I'm glad to have the next day to recover before heading back to the office.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 09:58 am
well cant sit hjere shooting the crap, ive gotta go out and hand hew some logs, were building an addition to the cabin. Were even thinking of indoor plumbing.

Oh , and the word you were searching for there Lion, was vicariously.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 10:58 am
Huh, thats funny Lion, cause I had this impression of you as an intelligent, interesting guy, a bit quick to anger perhaps but overall pretty OK - like, good folk ...

... until now.

bye ... dontletthedoorhitya.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:28 am
Hmmm. At what point did this thread begin it's decent into the maelstrom? Shocked
0 Replies