Is it necessary to copyright EVERY piece of artwork you show online, even if it's a generic drawing?

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:56 pm
I have a drawing question and I have something I want to show some people. It's a generic piece of art I want help with-not a finished piece. Is it neccessary to copyright it before showing it? Please help.

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 07:00 am
@JGoldman10,
I would. And I would mark as a work in progress.

That being said, in today's "If I can steal your music, writing, artwork, photo and get away with it, I will." attitude, it would be best if you only showed the work in controlled situations to particular, trusted people.

Joe(Best of luck)Nation
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:07 am
@Joe Nation,
Even if it's a GENERIC piece of work or a SIMPLE LINE DRAWING?
Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 08:34 am
@JGoldman10,
Common sense would say no. What would the need be to copyright a line drawing? Anyone can do a line drawing so it has no value. It'd make sense to copyright anything you think has value and is of such a design that might have some market value.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 08:39 am
All artwork is automatically subject to copyright protection as soon as it is created and fixed in a tangible form. There is no need to have it registered with the US Copyright Office in order to copyright it, although registration provides some additional safeguards.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:27 am
@Ragman,
I just want to show a SIMPLE cartoon drawing to illustrate a point about something-it's NOT a fixed piece of artwork.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:42 am
@JGoldman10,
"Fixed" means that it is set down permanently on something. If you draw a cartoon on a piece of paper, it's "fixed" on the paper.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:43 am
@joefromchicago,
Hi-I mean "finished", not "fixed". I have a quick simple drawing I want to show some people online.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:49 am
@JGoldman10,
So show it. What's stopping you? If you created it and it's "fixed" in some type of medium (computer program is fine), then it is already copyrighted.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:55 am
@joefromchicago,
I wanted to know if it was neccessary to get a copyright from the Library of Congress, or put a circled C, the year and my name on my art, before I showed it to anyone online. If it's a simple, generic line drawing and NOT a finished piece of work I think this would be a waste.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 10:09 am
Question: Do you want your work (in whatever condition) protected.
___ Yes
___ No

If yes, do it.
If no, don't do it.

Joe(yes/no)Nation
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 10:26 am
@Joe Nation,
It's a SIMPLE GENERIC drawing, NOT A FINISHED PIECE OF WORK. SOMETHING SIMPLE I WANT SOME HELP WITH. SOMETHING I WANT HELP WITH NOW.

The OTHER JOE answered the question.

I am NOT SPENDING 20$ on a COPYRIGHT if it's NOT NECESSARY- I DO NOT HAVE TIME OR MONEY TO WASTE.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 10:28 am
@Joe Nation,
Question: Would you copyright a STICK FIGURE or a HAPPY FACE?
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 10:56 am
@JGoldman10,
I would if I wanted to. If the drawing was in some way unique or the smiley face was a really funny parody of the original, yes, I would try to protect it.

Stop shouting.

I put a lot of photos on line and I reserve the rights to them both in their original form and in the form they become once I re-edit them.

This is simple and , as JoefromChicago already told you, you do not have to register your drawing in order to copyright it.

(Did you read his link to the Copyright Office? I hope so. It's very revealing.)

Joe(Do what you think is best for you)Nation
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:11 am
@Joe Nation,
Hello Joe. I am not yelling. That's not what the other Joe said- if it's already fixed in some medim, it's already protected.

It's a SIMPLE line drawing, NOT a finished cartoon. A drawing of some cartoon eyes. I am not going to copyright that because it's NOT part of some finished work.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:18 am
@JGoldman10,
Hi. Here's what Joefromchicago said :
Quote:
So show it. What's stopping you? If you created it and it's "fixed" in some type of medium (computer program is fine), then it is already copyrighted.

Repeat: If you created it (and you did) and it's 'fixed" in some type of medium (like on your computer) it is already copyrighted.

So, you don't have to do anything more than what you have already done.

Joe(fin)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:19 am
By the way:
Quote:
It's a SIMPLE GENERIC drawing, NOT A FINISHED PIECE OF WORK. SOMETHING SIMPLE I WANT SOME HELP WITH. SOMETHING I WANT HELP WITH NOW.

The OTHER JOE answered the question.

I am NOT SPENDING 20$ on a COPYRIGHT if it's NOT NECESSARY- I DO NOT HAVE TIME OR MONEY TO WASTE.

This is shouting.

Joe(stop it)Nation
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:20 am
@Joe Nation,
I am EMPHASIZING. Or do you prefer I use boldface?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:21 am
@Joe Nation,
According to JoefromChicago, it's already protected, so I DON'T have to spend 20$ on a copyright. END of thread.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
Hooray.
and yes, THIS IS SHOUTING; this is emphasis.

Joe(but you know that.)Nation