Full Costody of my unborn baby

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:59 pm
I am 4 months pregnant and live in California…The father of my baby is my ex and decided to run once he found out I was expecting even though he wanted a baby. My question is what do I have to do so I can get full custody of my baby so that later on he wont come back and all the sudden what to be a father. He doesn’t answer my calls and texts for about 3 months now. I don’t want child support from him or want his name on the birth certificate. What are my choices and whats the best thing to do?

Mame

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 02:37 pm
@singlemom00,
Well, first of all, I think you should get child support. It's not about you, it's about providing for the baby. It will help throughout the child's whole life - food, clothes, bed, medicine, lessons, bike, schooling, etc. Don't deny your child the financial support he deserves. Secondly, if you go on assistance, they will INSIST you go after him for child support. If you go back to work, you will need $$ for daycare - it's no longer cheap!

You are in a similar situation to one of my nieces, who has since met and married a lovely man and had another child with him. She didn't go after child support either, and neither did I, which I regretted later on for my daughter's sake.

As far as sole custody, I don't think you'll have a problem. You need to talk to Legal Aid in your area about that IF you're going for child support. He likely won't challenge your bid for sole custody, but he should contribute to your child's life and expenses.

My daughter receives over $900 for two kids (support), plus 50% of the daycare (they earn about the same money). It's all based on income, here anyway.

Think long and hard about it, singlemom00... you don't want to make things harder for yourself. And it may well be that his family will welcome this child... would you not want your child to have a(nother) grandma, uncle, cousins, etc? Family holidays can be wonderful. They could also be a big help to you.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 05:00 pm
You need to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. In some states, full custody is impossible.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 06:45 pm
@singlemom00,
Here's a Google search on California child custody laws.

You might want to start with these from the California Courts Self-Help Center

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/custody/

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/support/
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 05:46 pm
@singlemom00,
singlemom00 wrote:
... My question is what do I have to do so I can get full custody of my baby so that later on he wont come back and all the sudden what to be a father. ...

If he comes back and wants to be a parent, why would you deny your child from having a father?
0 Replies

lorraine19

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 09:19 pm
My childs father left when he was 5 days old and didn't even look back. I called him, he changed his number. I saw him walking with another child he plays daddy too and he claimed that our child is not his. I never seek support. I did let his mother know about her grandson and she visit once. Sent him some clothes twice and that was it. She never called for birthdays or holidays. I make the attempt but they ignore me. So, should I take him to court or just let them be? I say let it go.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 10:02 am
@lorraine19,
I think it would be best to speak with a lawyer. Although I agree with Tic on this - except in the case where the dad may be abusive to the child. The child may benefit from having their dad in the picture. If he doesn't want to be part of the child's life, then you should have no problem with getting full custody.

You should get financial help though as others suggested. Its for the child not you.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 11:02 am
@Linkat,
Why would you deny your child, as Linkat and Tic said?

You hate the father, great. But your child deserves to at least KNOW his or her father.

Don't be selfish.
0 Replies