• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,898 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 11:57 am
@rkx238,
is it a print or a real [painting. Keanes prints were done in the gazillions so I doubt that they are worth too much. However, an original painting would be worth a few thousand Id wager.(Size matters in these )
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 07:29 pm
@farmerman,
Yup, they mass produced those, and even some so-called "originals" were only touch ups with paint by other "artists." My nephew had his paintings, but I didn't have the heart to tell him they were "junque."
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 07:40 pm
@rkx238,
Quote:
Wedgefield photos stock#F1924-C16

Translation: worthless
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 10:20 pm
Walter Keane - I met him once in a beach cafe, he always carried some postcards of his paintings around and showed them to me. Nice guy, but he seemed a bit forlorn, just like the eyes of the kids he painted. Then again, his ex-wife Margaret claimed to have been the painter of all the kids with big eyes. It was never determined who really painted them...
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 10:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
He was pretty much a thibg of the 70's no? I remember the world being flooded with Keane, P Buckley Moss, andThat sports painter who schmeared oils over canvases with his pallette knife. What was his name?

These guys were as prolific as whoever was doing Elvis on black velvet.
That was all before the day of "he who shall not be named" began his "paintings with light"
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:07 am
@farmerman,
He probably was, farmerman. I wasn't living in the U.S. in the 70s, but when
I met Keane he must have been in his late 70s and he still looked good. All white hair with kind of childish bangs cut at the forehead...

Ah, you're talking about LeRoy Neiman and his sports paintings - I actually
like them, they're quite colorful. I also like Peter Max a lot.....give me color any day over pastels.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:42 am
@CalamityJane,
Playboy used to give out those Neiman prints for free with a subscription. I thought his paintings were pretty neat during that period.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yeh LEroy Neiman. I never cared for his work. He never controlled his surface texture as he did his colors.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:02 am
@ cicerone, darn it, I missed that subscription Laughing

@ farmerman, how about Roy Lichtenstein or David Hockney? You like those paintings? Well, I admit, Hockney has to grow on you....
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
Lichtenstein I really dig,I mostly like his earlier (non pop) stuff Hockney, not so much. I like some of Hockney;s books on art history but his work doesnt leave much of an impression.
0 Replies