msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 02:34 am
@roger,
Yes?
You know far more about mockingbirds than I do, roger.
Why might a person be very sorry?
Would the mockingbird declare war, perhaps?
And what might that mean?
roger

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 02:48 am
@msolga,
The sound you hate might be the sound it loves. You will hear it again. And again. And again.
Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 02:50 am
@msolga,
You should keep in mind why they are called mocking birds--it's because they imitate the calls of other birds. There's very likely little that would bother them which wouldn't bother you more--and there's the problem that since mankind went all electric, and then electronic, mocking birds have taken to imitating human generated noises. I believe Jespah mentioned a mocking bird which "sings" car alarms.

I think attempting a noise war with a mocking bird is a high probability of a war you would lose.
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:31 am
@Setanta,
You are probably right about that, Setanta.
I was trying to find a solution to k's noise problem.
But I knew she most likely wouldn't buy it! Wink

Maybe there isn't a solution which suit humans and mockingbirds at the same time?
They are both sharing the same environment, after all.
Maybe earplugs are the best solution for humans?

And as we have seen, birds all over the place, are very good at replicating all variety of sounds which they hear around them.
Perhaps we should just admire them enormously for their incredible skills ?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:39 am
Either that or shoot them . . . where's David?
dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:39 am
I wonder what effect mirrors (note the plurality there) might have. He might move on if the competition seems invincible.

You might need several or 5.

That could backfire as well but it would be an interesting experiment for those of us that dont have to put up with the noise.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:44 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Either that or shoot them . . . where's David?

Oh come on, Setanta.
You & I both know you don't mean that.
(just in case some folk here think you did.
You never know!)

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:50 am
@msolga,
Although all adult male mockingbirds sing during the day, only a bachelor sings at night. He stops doing that as soon as he wins a mate. What the person who emailed me was complaining about was a love song.

Law is on the side bird, for it is illegal to harm, harass, or remove the mockingbird.
http://www.birdwatching.com/stories/mockingbird.html
Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:50 am
Yeah, well, that's why i was lookin' for David . . . i ain't got no gun.

Anyway, mocking birds are very territorial, and not only don't want other mocking birds nesting nearby, they don't want other birds of any kind nesting nearby--which is why it was strange to hear a mocking bird in the city. It appears that this particular mocking bird doesn't like the crowded conditions, because it is moving farther and farther away. There is nearby, though, an area that it might like. Toronto is bi-sected by the Don River, and there are many feeder creeks in the city (it has one of largest wild life populations of any city in the world). Not far away is Taylor Creek, which is heavily wooded, and a mocking bird might find something to like there. Taylor Creek is near enough that in good weather i'll walk the little doggies over there.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 04:52 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Law is on the side bird, for it is illegal to harm, harass, or remove the mockingbird.

And it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. Anyhow, that's what Harper Lee says.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 05:40 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
The sound you hate might be the sound it loves.
You will hear it again. And again. And again.
Have him commit to memory music that u like.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 05:50 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
Although all adult male mockingbirds sing during the day, only a bachelor sings at night.
He stops doing that as soon as he wins a mate. What the person who emailed me
was complaining about was a love song.

http://www.birdwatching.com/stories/mockingbird.html
Well, it seems so unfair; one-sided.
The poor little fellow is unarmed.

(Shoud he be assassinated on a racial basis????
or because of his exercise of his freedom of speech ??)

Without even CONSIDERING the effects of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion
on him, he simply is not somatically built to handle defensive firearms.
(Even the word: "handle" does not apply to his case, in that he has wings, not hands.)

David
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 09:25 am
Funny thread.... I do appreciate mockingbirds, just not so much when I'm sleeping. I do think earplugs are the only way to go. Happily he's sett;ed down for now. I'll try to remember the earplugs later this summer when he starts anew.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 09:30 am
@littlek,
http://www.funnyville.com/funny-pictures/cat-smile.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 09:36 am
That kitty wouldn't stand a chance.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:03 am
@ehBeth,
Fred can get very screechy and a little music helps to quiet him down. At first, he listens and sometimes tries to mimic. The fact that he is so interested in the music gives him something to think about other than the mind-numbing screeching.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:53 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:
Fred can get very screechy and a little music helps to quiet him down. At first, he listens and sometimes tries to mimic. The fact that he is so interested in the music gives him something to think about other than the mind-numbing screeching.
Maybe he wants to sing along.
Does he like Karaoke ?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 07:05 pm
The mocking bird has vacated our yard. I can still hear him a few houses down. Nice of him to share the love!
0 Replies