littlek

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:06 pm
Eva, I didn't see your post - sounds like a fun way to spend breakfast....
Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:40 pm
@littlek,
You need to hire a hit-owl or hawk. The only other thing is ear plugs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:43 pm
Yep.... earplugs. Or maybe a cooper's hawk.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 09:14 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I think you might be onto something. Maybe littlek should get him a nice, shiny mirror and let him knock himself out - so to speak.

A bit cruel, but it's worth a try. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 02:17 am
Well I am truly amazed. Surprised
Never having made the acquaintance of a mocking bird, I had these sort of romantic visions of them.
I mean, WHO would kill a mockingbird? Wink

Now I am finding out the truth about these ornery, repulsive, troublesome critters and I want to know more.
More mockingbird stories please!
Very funny!

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 02:25 am
All birds are, in one respect, "repulsive." There are few creatuers you could encounter which are more hag-ridden by parasites, inside and out. You never want to handle a wild bird, and if you are obliged to handle a bird's nest which has recently been occupied, you want to wear gloves. Through no fault of their own, birds are filthy creatures.
roger

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 02:26 am
@msolga,
No more repulsive than the robber jays you find when you get to the higher elevations in the mountains. The rest is pretty much true.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 02:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
All birds are, in one respect, "repulsive." There are few creatuers you could encounter which are more hag-ridden by parasites, inside and out. You never want to handle a wild bird, and if you are obliged to handle a bird's nest which has recently been occupied, you want to wear gloves. Through no fault of their own, birds are filthy creatures.

That may be so.
You are probably right about that , Setanta.
But ... I receive so much pleasure watching them, when birds (especially natives) visit my garden.
Most of the trees/bushes in my garden are natives, to attract them.

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:05 am
@msolga,
I don't know what the "but" is for . . . i enjoy the little birdies, too--i just would never handle one.
msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:09 am
@Setanta,
Me, too. Smile

So this is what a mockingbird looks like!:
http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/IMAGES/Tennessee/northern_mockingbird_web.jpg

Amazing that such an innocent looking, pretty bird could cause so much havoc!

roger

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:23 am
@msolga,
You should meet a band of robber jays. Solid gray, and look very much like a blue jay. Varmints will steal the food out of your mouth, and that's not hyperbole. Honest critters, though. They dispise handouts (unless they're desparate).
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:25 am
As i recall from when i lived in the mountains in New Mexico, the jays flew around in gangs, too. Nasy critters.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:27 am

(sorry lil'k...)
msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:40 am
@roger,
Quote:
Varmints will steal the food out of your mouth, and that's not hyperbole.

Like this one, roger?

It looks so innocent, so harmless.

The things I am learning about birds in the US! Wink

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/382885.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:41 am
@Region Philbis,
What a happy, busy warbler! Smile
Such an enchanting song!
And you folk are complaining? Wink
dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 04:17 am
everybody, have you heard?
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 04:33 am
@msolga,
Imagine that incessant warbling down the chimney all night. They are evil little bastards and they know it pisses me off.
I caught one once with a crab netwhile I was wporking in the garden. The mockinbiird was diving onto our cat and the cat ran under me for protection. This cat was a great pussy anyway . It just layed there mmeowing in terror . I had my crab netnearby for this very occasion and as the bird resumed diving the cat (even with me over it), I snatched the bird and then, with him in my hands, I drove him to the lake about 5 miles away where I re;leased the bird. (He was back within an hour).

dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 04:34 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

You should meet a band of robber jays. Solid gray, and look very much like a blue jay. Varmints will steal the food out of your mouth, and that's not hyperbole. Honest critters, though. They dispise handouts (unless they're desparate).

Even the non venemous critters in Aust try to kill you.
When magpies attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8cIgz8V5xs&feature=related
From about 25 second mark.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 04:41 am
My coworker of several years back lived in the apartment that held the master antenna. Said antenna was not that far from his chimney. A mockingbird began its incessant warbling from that perch. He complained about it, daily. One morning he let it slip that he had used his pellet gun to end the situation. I don't recommend this to anyone, just saying -
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 04:54 am
@farmerman,
Laughing

Mockingbird = 1

Farmerman = 0

Very funny!

0 Replies