"Taken"

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 05:16 pm
Anyone watch the new Spielberg series on SciFi last night? I thought it was pretty good, but there were way too many commercials. The character development seemed a bit, hmm, what would be the word for it, perhaps "off"?

The brainwave powered flying saucer was pretty cool though! Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,852 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 05:37 pm
Hiya cjhsa,

It's soooo long, that I set my replay to record it, so that I can zip through the commercials. May watch the first installment tonight.
I'll let you know what I think of it!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 04:03 pm
Why don't they make it start at the same time everynight? Twice now I've had to watch the second half and then watch the first (they replay it) because they have altered the start time. ARGH!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 04:22 pm
going to set the vcr to pick-up what I missed lastnight
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 04:37 pm
I was tempted but watched CSI instead. Hmm, sounds like Ender's Shadow and Ender by Orsen Scott card where all the wars are fought by children control the war through video games.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:20 pm
It's being repeated as a marathon ten hours today. It's "Close Encounters" with more of an X File twist. Maybe worth getting the DVD but I am recording it, albeit with not the best picture transmission as Sci-Fi channel is still not digital on my cable (digital channels are fruther up). The aliens are rather cut-and-dried Roswell variety animations and look like animations. It's all very dark so a good digital picture viewed under controlled lighting conditions would be the best (or HDTV). I haven't been able to watch it complete and won't be able to today -- just filling in the what I didn't record.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:20 pm
You are right LW I watched the marathon on Saturday but I liked it enough to watch all of them. A pretty nice mystery story all in all.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:53 pm
Stupid SciFi channel. I looked in the paper yesterday and it clearly said that the previous nights episode was running from 7-9, and the new one from 9-11. Since I had missed the last half of the previous one, I turned it on at about 7:30...and wound up watching the last half hour of the new episode! DAMMIT!

On DirecTV SciFi ran the new episode three times last night, 6-8, 8-10, and 10-midnight. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? ARGH!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 03:23 pm
Just tape the wholething and delete the duplicates. Pretty cool seeing a guy girl do magic making 15 people disappear. Then turning herself over to the Majestic folks.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 10:42 pm
Got through the first five episodes on videotape and will videotape the next five tomorrow (they repeat the entire five episodes).

So far, I'm not impressed that this isn't still "The X Files" meets "Close Encounters" with a bit of the old "The Invaders" thrown in. It's docu-drama format is thrown completely off by bizarre characters with even more bizarre behavior which trashes any feel of credulity. The officer who knocks off both his wives is just too psychotic -- trying to explain why and how the second wife died to his sons was laughably cornball.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:27 pm
Okay, I cheated and watched the final two episode last night (I don't think I missed much -- just more of the same in the interconnecting episodes). Very dissapointing "payoff" -- permeated with sentimentality which perhaps was the intent. Now one can go back and see "Close Encounters" and it will come of as even more profound. The acting was mostly the school of robotics.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 11:01 am
Alrighty,...
I'd like a refund please,...I'd like those 20 HOURS of my life back!!!! Laughing

OK,..so it wasn't THAT bad!

It was toooooo long for its story,..and that chick from "Blair Witch" really annoys me!! The ending could have been better, They took so long to lead up to it,..that it could have been handled differently.

But, all in all, I didn't hate it.
I probably wouldn't have watched it, if I hadn't recorded it so that I could delete commercials and such!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:53 pm
It made it onto AFI's list of best television of 2002. I don't quite see what their criteria is that would laud this rehash of Spielberg, the X Files mixed in with some soap opera plot devices. They actually expect people to plop down a great deal of money to purchase the entire series on DVD (promising they're going to "reveal more.") Reveal more about what? Apparantly Project Blue Book was run by a bunch of sadistic government thugs. I think they fell over the edge on this one. If they're trying to make a point of the conservative "don't trust government unless we're running it" ridiculous notion, this doesn't make it. I finally saw the parts I missed and they were a waste of time (even scanning through commercials). The little girl doing a David Copperfield act was one of the most laughably absurd things I've seen in a long time.
0 Replies