statistical difference between normal and non-normal data

Kris9

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 04:52 am
I have a patients (n=100) and control data (n=100) containing different variables. It seems that the patients data is non-normally distributed and controls data is normal. I need to test the statistical difference of different variable between patients and controls. Which test should I use (parametric or nonparametric)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,992 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 06:39 am
@Kris9,
Here's a table showing you why you might choose each test. It sounds like you should use a non-parametric test if you know some of the data is non-normal.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 07:10 am
@Kris9,
With a sample size of 100 you should be able to use a parametric test so long as you have reason to assume that the population data "should" be normal. It depends on what your variables are and how they are naturally distributed. Take blood pressure readings, for instance. There's no reason to assume that bp readings aren't normally distributed, even if your test data looks skewed. OTOH, it's never wrong to use a parametric test. You'll lose some power but you don't run the risk of violating your assumptions. Some parametric analyses are more robust than others when it comes to lack of normality. It all depends on your hypothesis and the distribution of the underlying population, especially with a large sample.
JPB

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:21 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

OTOH, it's never wrong to use a parametric test. You'll lose some power but you don't run the risk of violating your assumptions.

er, that should read that it's never wrong to use a non-parametric test.
0 Replies