msolga

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:34 pm
This is most likely elementary, but how do you make a really good iced tea?
Obviously make the tea itself, but then what? Confused
It's quite hot here in southern Oz & I've developed a great craving for it.

Thanks,
Olga
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,029 • Replies: 17
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:40 pm
Ditto - waiting! I have never made a really decent one...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:50 pm
I've been drinking the bought stuff ... Liptons, etc ... But there's too much sugar & one could become a Fat Person if one drank too much. Shocked The thought of a jug full of a really clean, zingy, cold tea is very appealing.
Hot enough for you, Deb?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:35 pm
Surely you don't import the stuff Lipton is selling around here? Being honest, I use Nestea instant and mix it at about half the suggested strength. No sugar. It just doesn't work in hot weather.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:42 pm
Blimey! That canna be it!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:45 pm
I think there are 2 things I like in a good cuppa iced tea. One is lemonade and the other is mint. Make some strong tea, pour it over ice, add some fresh squeezed lemon and a sprig of mint. Then melt sugar in hot water and add it to the mix.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:50 pm
Sun tea is very good, although very high in tannin. Put the water of your choice at room temperature into a container of one gallon, or four litres. Either put loose tea to a quantity of eight heaping teaspoons in a muslin bag, or, alternatively, eight teabags of your preferred tea in the container, and seal firmly (although not necessarily tightly). Allow to stand, inside in winter, outside in summer, in direct sunlight for 8-16 hours. Remove tea, and refrigerate in a cold refrigerator for three hours, and dilute to taste before serving, or, divide into two parts in two one gallon or four litre containers, and fill containers with ice, the brew being ready to serve from the refrigerator in about 30 to 45 minutes. Sweeten to taste, garnish with fruit or mint to taste.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:55 pm
Set, why is tannin bad?
I've used both Set's and K's recipes, both are excellent. You might also tried flavored or herbal teas. I find the mixture with some herbal teas needs to be stronger though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:59 pm
Actually, I got kinda used to just icy tea - nothing else - flying JAL for four days! They called it chinese cold tea, and I drank gallons - I really dehydrate on long hauls. It is great when you get the taste.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:08 pm
Ceili - good point. I often throw a lemon zinger in with the black/red teas.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:26 pm
Uh, first you need all your white alcohols...

Happy New Year, y'all!!!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:31 pm
If you buy the jar stuff, it is helpful to know that it tastes 100 percent better if you mix it in boiling water, then let it cool, and add ice and sugar if you wish.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:56 am
Many thanks, folks, for your suggestions .... I now have a good idea of how to go about it. Think I'll make up a big jug tomorrow. (Another hot day coming up!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:32 am
Hey Blaise!! That's a LONG ISLAND iced tea.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 09:34 am
I'm with Setanta - we normally make sun tea.

I'm the only American on the Platform working with six Brits. We give each other a lot of good natured ribbing about the proper way to drink tea. Needless to say, I'm a bloody daft Yank for drinking it iced.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 07:49 pm
Howdy Ms. K. Do we really have to engage in the politics of segregation? Can't we just be happy that it's an ice tea?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:02 pm
2 quarts of water...2 cups of sugar...bring to a boil.
turn off heat, add to family size luzianne ice tea bags....and two celestial seasons zinger or berry tea bags. steep until room temp. remove bags. DO NOT SQUEEZE!!!!!

Pour over ice, retreat to the porch sip and rock.

This from true Southerners. Enjoy, compliments of the bear and squinney......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 10:44 pm
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, sounds exquisite, BPD!
0 Replies