How often do you change frypan?

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:47 am
Really need to know the answer, somebody told me that is not healthy to use old frypan...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,616 • Replies: 39
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:50 am
@JTompson,
I cant see any reason not to use an old fry pan.
As long as you clean it and heat it up properly before putting food in.

I guess that might depend on the material used for the frypan though
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:11 am
@JTompson,
Non-stick pans are not healthy for anyone. Scratches in the surface can make the pan unhealthy to use. A stainless steel pan or a cast iron pan can be used forever and passed on to your children and grandchildren. I am certain the speaker was referring to a non-stick pan.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 02:46 pm
@plainoldme,
When you say non-stick, I hope you are only speaking of Teflon. By the way, I haven't seen a Teflon coated pan for sale in years.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:02 pm
@roger,
The replacements for Teflon are no better. As far as Teflon and the planet are concerned, it is too late. I read several years ago that every living thing has Teflon in it. Besides, Teflon has many applications, such as plumbers' tape.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:08 pm
@plainoldme,
Me, I think this is just one more viral marketing thread by a viral marketing petunia or fat pear.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:10 pm
@plainoldme,
Oh, come on! My non stick frying pan has a surface treatment of controled oxide of aluminum. About as non toxic as stainless steel. Cast iron cookware gets it's non stick properties from a process called seasoning. You oil it with cooking oil and bake it. How toxic do you suppose that is?

I have no idea what teflon plumbers' tape has to do with cookware.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:14 pm
@roger,
Why, then, do the manufacturers tell you to dispose of any non-stick cookware that is scratched?

The statement about Teflon plumbers' tape should be obvious: we are still using Teflon. That was simply the first form that came to mind. There are others.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:19 pm
@plainoldme,
Why, then, do the manufacturers tell you to dispose of any non-stick cookware that is scratched?

To sell more cookware, perhaps.
The statement about Teflon plumbers' tape should be obvious: we are still using Teflon. That was simply the first form that came to mind. There are others

I am well aware that teflon is still in use. We don't eat it. Are you being serious?
plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:30 pm
@roger,
Should we as a society allow a known carcinogen to be manufactured?

The reason why scratched cookware shouldn't be used is that the non-stick coating is a carcinogen.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:31 pm
@plainoldme,
Every living being on the planet has Teflon in its cells.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:34 pm
@roger,
best to throw out your gortex jacket as well and you might want t consider ripping up the stainmaster carpet in the lounge while you're at it oh and the steam iron.

dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:38 pm
Richard Wiles thinks Teflon is a potential danger in the kitchen and is with a lobby group that's worried about a chemical used to make Teflon. This chemical is called per-fluoro-octanoic acid — PFOA.

....snip

Conclusion

So both sides of the argument agree that, used correctly, under normal conditions, your Teflon pans are perfectly safe.
It's important to note that no health authority has ever been worried enough to ban Teflon-coated non-stick pans in America, or anywhere else.

In the interests of prolonging the life of your cookware and for your own peace of mind, however, it pays to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not overheat your pots and pans.

Jason Hannah is from the He Cooks Cooking School.
Don't worry about those little bits of Teflon ending up inside you, though, because they're harmless.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:42 pm
@dadpad,
I've liked the tape in putting irrigation pipes together.

Well, whatever, maybe you don't get that.

Alternatives aren't all so swell.

Most of us in certain years that did major drip used a pvc delivery system to all those drippies over, like, a great many acres.
dadpad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:44 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Should we as a society allow a known carcinogen to be manufactured?

The reason why scratched cookware shouldn't be used is that the non-stick coating is a carcinogen.

Thats wrong just plain wrong.

It has been labled as a possible carcinogen. Thats a lot lot different to "known". If you ate 1/2 kg of teflon each week for 10 years it MIGHT cause cancer. Then again so MIGHT just about anything else.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I admit I don't know if "plumbing tape" is a teflon product. I figure it precedes teflon.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:11 pm
@ossobuco,
No. Before teflon tape, we used this gunk called 'pipe dope'. Pipes seal because the threads are tapered. 3/4 inch per foot if you care. Sadly, the threads often have imperfections from the cutting process, so we add a sealant.

Now, if the material is soft enough to deform when screwed together, we get an almost perfect fit. You've heard of a lead pipe cinch, of course. Naturally, we don't make frying pans out of lead, but there could well be some in our bodies from other sources.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:13 pm
@roger,
I've used pipe dope. When I don't remember..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:23 pm
@ossobuco,
I do admit to being the placer and the pipe sizer (and emitter namer) for bunches of acreage, plus all the the pumps needed and so on with calcs re elevation and pressure, yadda yadda. But until I did my own place I didn't entirely get it. In contrast to my boss, who was born laying pipe (kidding, kidding, he was born designing with his toes).

Gotta say, I liked the tape.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 08:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, look, I've strayed from the topic again.

Still, I think the talk is useful - how to pinpoint what to be frightened of.
0 Replies