A Bible Club Controversy

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 06:52 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
It was being held during third period, during the school day, and being headed by a teacher at that school.

I don't really get this part. Did the kids have a free period? Why are they available during the school day?

And same (more so) for the teacher. Did she give up her lunch period or something? Or is she being paid for her time?
snood

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 08:05 am
@sozobe,
Clubs don't meet daily. Once a week or so, they get to meet during a time that's normally for a class. It isn't free time or break time - it's class time that has been relegated to clubs. There are other clubs - bible club is just one of a half dozen or so.
snood

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 08:15 am
@dadpad,
Yeah, that's gonna happen. Hey dadpad, if I just want to commit social suicide at the school, I can find an easier, simpler way - like showing up dressed as Rupaul, or starting a fistfight with a student.

But that wasn't really my aim for bringing attention to this. I think it was to see if there was anyone within a hundred miles of here was even aware that this was going on, and if they were aware of the implications. Well, they aren't aware - they don't want to be aware, and they have considerable emotional investment in denying that things are anything but copacetic.

So putting my head on the chopping block with some kind of ballsy show of political defiance, when I'm about a month away from getting my grad degree and never having to set foot in that school again would be a little counterproductive for me, if you see what I mean.
JTT

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 12:44 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Well, they aren't aware - they don't want to be aware, and they have considerable emotional investment in denying that things are anything but copacetic.

Bingo, give this man a Kewpie Doll!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 12:49 pm
@snood,
Hmmm.... I *think* if the teacher is being paid for her time, during the school day, then that's part of the un-kosher-ness of this. Not sure.

I understand what you mean about social suicide though. (Rupaul, heh.) Glad you'll be out of there soon for your sake.

A good friend of mine has moved to South Carolina and the culture there is driving her insane. (She's not an atheist but is a laid-back sort of Christian, with liberal politics. She has a new "ARGH" story every week pretty much about what she and her family are facing.)
JTT

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 12:55 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
A good friend of mine has moved to South Carolina and the culture there is driving her insane. (She's not an atheist but is a laid-back sort of Christian, with liberal politics. She has a new "ARGH" story every week pretty much about what she and her family are facing.)

OmSigDavid says that conservatives are all about personal freedom, so your friend must be a liar. These freedom loving' individuals don't go stickin' their noses in other people's religion and affairs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:34 pm
I read an interesting article about Atheist Clubs today, this part jumped out at me re: this discussion:

Quote:
The federal law permitting extracurricular clubs to use public schools before and after hours was passed in 1984 after lobbying by conservative church groups. Bible study clubs grew fruitful and multiplied, replenishing the Christian faith throughout the land. Then things took a turn to the left. The law required equal access, and gay-straight clubs started popping up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/education/04winerip.html

(Emphasis mine.)

This doesn't seem to be before or after hours.

(I recommend the article in general btw.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:38 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
And same (more so) for the teacher. Did she give up her lunch period or something? Or is she being paid for her time?

It doesn't matter. If the teacher participates in any role other than simply as a monitor, it violates the no establishment clause, as has been interpreted by the Supremes.
sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:40 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah, I'm reading back in this thread (had only skimmed it) and am gathering that.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:43 pm
Is snood's Jr High School considered a secondary school? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. The Equal Access Act only applies to secondary schools. I have no idea how it might impact elementary or middle schools. It defines "Limited Open Forum" as gatherings that occur during "noninstructional time". I suppose they could establish a club period within the regular school session and call it "noninstructional time".

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/20/52/VIII/4071
0 Replies