I have a sewing question

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:33 pm
Can anyone tell me how am I supposed to knot the thread after I've finished sewing? I don't have a machine, and sew very very little...

So far, all I've come up with is tying the thread together about 2 or 3 times and snipping it. That seems soooo juvenile...is there another way?

Don't suggest that I get a sewing machine, I don't do enough sewing to warrant the expense.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,373 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:46 pm
Yes there is, but it requires a fair amount of practice. You will need to estimate with a fair degree of accuracy the length of thread you will need to accomplish the job you have in mind. For extended sewing jobs, this means you would use all of the thread, and then using this tying-off method, start with a new length of thread.

Having decided the length of thread you will need, reel out and cut off twice that length, plus a bit more. Now, grasp the two ends, allowing the thread to form an elongated "U"--then thread the eye of the needle with the two ends, and pull about one inch through the eye of the needle. Gripping the needle, tuck excess thread into the top joint of your little finger, and close that finger to keep the thread from slipping out of the eye of the needle (that would put four strands of thread into the little finger joint). Your first stitch should be threaded through the loop at the bottom of the "U" formed by the hanging thread--this means you don't need to make a knot to start your stitch (i hope you're following me here). When you have almost finished your stitching, on the third from the last stitch, put your needle under the fabric, just about halfway on the length of the previous stitch. DO NOT PULL YOUR STITCHES TIGHT. Pushing the needle up through the fabric, loop the thread around that stitch as it enters the fabric. Repeat this process with each of the last three stiches--pulling the needle through the fabric so that it ends up on what will be the "inside" of the fabric so stitched. This will work on most fabrics, but not really heavy ones. This will work with most sewing jobs, except those which will be subjected to heavy stress.

Sorry, Onyx, but i feel i haven't explained this well. Maybe some practice will give you an idea.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:51 pm
Oh, i forgot. When you've finished those last three stitches, you then carefully lift the thread with your needle, and tighten them starting with the third-to-last and working to the end. You can then reach under the fabric, and full the loose thread tight. I've used that trick again and again on repair jobs. Sorry, i've never made it work for buttons.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:52 pm
I'm not sure if Setanta is trying to be funny or what but, tying the two ends of your thread together in a knot is the only way I've ever known how to lock stitches. I had an aunt who could tie a knot using only two fingers on one hand. May not sound like much but it's not easy. I never got it.
Come to think of it onyx, I'm not sure if you're being funny or not either. Is this a serious question?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:53 pm
Setanta, I think you've done a swell job, as I get a mental picture of it. I'll have to read it whilst trying it though, to really do it. I'll let you know how I do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:54 pm
Best of luck. When i was six (and Eisenhower was President), my grandmother informed me in no uncertain terms that i was to learn to fend for myself. I was introduced to an iron and an ironing board. I was introduced to the washing machine. I was then handed a patch of cast-off fabric, and a needle and a spool of thread, and informed that i would begin supervised practice.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:55 pm
I thought what Setanta said made perfect sense. I even asked a friend of mine and she agreed with his technique.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:56 pm
Yes, of course it is. Did you not see my 'nude year' resolution in clary's thread? I said I'll do more mending for the Mr.

I never joke about 'house wifey' type stuff.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:56 pm
gus has friends?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:58 pm
Please forgive me! I tried to edit my post but you guys are too quick!! I read Setanta's original response again and saw the reference to the knotting stitches. Didn't read it all the way thru the first time or even the second time apparently. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:59 pm
ouch ... (referring to Onyxelle's verbal harpoon.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:00 pm
Knotting a thread at the end of the job? Will wonders never cease!

Don't think about "finishing" the thread. Think about anchoring the thread. You've done the job of fastening material to material. Now you have to anchor the thread so your work won't unravel.

Take 4-5-6 short stitches in fabric where these anchoring stitches won't show on the finished side. A hem? Use a tiny patch of the upturned cloth to anchor. A seam? Move in an anchor one one of the ends of the pieces you've just stitched together. Buttonholes? Anchor on the facing fabric.

If I had to tie knots at the end of every mending job, I'd do even less mending than I tackle now.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:19 pm
i hereby pronounce setanta a SCHNEIDERMEISTER ! next time i need my tux stitched up, i know whom to call upon ! a simple method (if it's not too delicate a job) is to finish the sewing on the inside of the garment and put just a dab of glue (waterproof) on it; it'll do a fairly decent job (i'm sure the SCHNEIDERMEISTER would not approve). putting a dab of glue at the back of a button after it has been sewn on will also prevent buttons from coming off quickly. i can see the SCHNEIDERMEISTER sitting crosslegged on his table and cursing anyone making such profane suggestions . hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:27 pm
Actually, HB, that's a good one, and one i'd never thought of . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:40 pm
All I've ever done is complete the seam, and take 3 or 4 stiches back over the original seam. On buttons, I use Noddy's method of anchoring.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:41 pm
noddy....i'm sorry - i'm slow... I tried to wrap my mind around what you were saying....I don't know how to anchor ..... but my dominion did not hold *weeping*

gus - i love you sweetie. i simply love you :-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:42 pm
Onyxelle--

Ok. Let's try again. You have sewn a fine seam.

If you cut the thread close to the material the seam will unravel quickly.

You have to anchor the loose end of the thread.

You have the needle in hand.

The thread is attached.

You must anchor the thread--and your stitching job.

Pick a place close by the end of your sewing job. Very close by.

Make 4-5-6 quick, small stitches in that place.

In-out-in-out-in-out...etc.

On your final stitch run the thread under the stitches you've just made.

Clip.

I can't believe you could follow Sentana's instructions (unless your very own mother talked that way) and not mine.

Anchor that thread. Hold that dominion.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:48 pm
Setanta

I'm as impressed that you can actually do your own sewing as I am by your ability to EXPLAIN how it's done so clearly! Very good! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:07 pm
I have always done Noddy's method.

Further, if I ever found myself with two threads hanging at the end of a task, I just double, even triple, knot them. Tie, tie, tie. Done.

What Setanta said, my goodness, I am impressed.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 01:02 pm
Noddy - that dominion is now being held firmly in place.

excuse me - it's anchored in place :-)
0 Replies