golf draw

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:15 am
in an upcoming golf tournament, 72 players will play. More than 72 will sign up, say 80, but only 72 can play. Some will sign up as twosomes, some as singles. How can the draw be done so that the each person has the same odds of being picked. Assume you can not split up the twosome
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 696 • Replies: 5
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:21 am
@tabletalk,
Consider each twosome as a single unit and then conduct a random drawing until all the slots are filled. The only issue comes when you have selected 71 spots and you draw a twosome to fill the final spot. You will have to decide if that means you sit out the twosome or come up with another scheme.
tabletalk

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:15 am
@engineer,
thanks. But when a twosome is picked, does that not reduce the odds of the singles. for example assume if I have 1 twosome, and 4 singles and only 2 twosomes can play. They all have a 20% chance of being picked first. But if the twosome is picked first, I only have two more picks to do. If a single is picked first I have 3 more to do, so the odds are better since there are more chances of being picked.
engineer

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:19 am
@tabletalk,
Not if you treat the twosome as a single unit. If you gave the twosome two chances, one for each pers0n, then the twosome would have a large advantage. Another way of doing it would be to pair all the singles ahead of time and then select the resulting pairs equally. This works well if you have an even number of people entering.
tabletalk

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:41 am
@engineer,
yes - we are hoping for an even number and will pair the singles
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:25 pm
@tabletalk,
four cough
0 Replies