Paging Excel Gurus: Agita with Column Widths...

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 10:45 am

am having a problem at work with excel.
the columns get mysteriously stretched.

i have not actually seen it happen... co-worker has had it happen twice in the past week.
he has no idea what is causing it to happen -- he thinks maybe it has to do with using CTRL-TAB to toggle between excel sessions.

has anyone experienced this?

what to do... what to doooooo..........

thanx...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,857 • Replies: 13

View best answer, chosen by Region Philbis
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 10:49 am
@Region Philbis,
Are all the columns stretching or just one or two of them?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:17 am
@Region Philbis,
uh....you can't ask jes about this?
jespah

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:52 pm
@chai2,
He did. It may have something to do with a kind of custom view. We looked at the freeze panes - the panes were indeed frozen on one version of this spreadsheet but not another. However, unfreezing them did not seem to matter. These are otherwise identical sheets, so far as I can tell, e. g. same font, same font size, nothing like bold, underline or italics going on. And the widths are specified -- I think it's 15.33 or so.
Mame

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 04:00 pm
Sometimes there's just a glitch in the particular file. I've struggled with Table of Contents glitches and font changes and indexed paragraph problems so many times it drove me nuts and is why I refuse to buy any of Gates' **** anymore.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 04:35 pm
@jespah,
So it is a global width setting for all columns?

Is the width of all columns changing or just specific columns?

If just specific columns, is there a difference in the formating of the columns, i.e., as currency and others as dates and others as formulas?

Is there
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 05:54 pm

i think all columns get stretched at one time, but the overall width of the spreadsheet stays the same --
so it sort of stretches from both sides, if that makes any sense.

it's happened twice, so i'm thinking it's something co-worker is accidentally doing to the files.

these are schedules which we link into our cad program as drawings, so the column widths have to stay the same to comply with the cad header.

it's never happened to me before, but i'm the one who has to humpty-dumpty it back together... Confused
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 07:00 pm
@jespah,
well, if you don't know, who could?

coitanely not I
jespah

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:19 am
@chai2,
Thank you for your confidence but God knows I dunno lots 'bout the program. It is one wacky mystery.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:29 am
I dunno either. just throwing a few things out there.

Is protection on for a particular sheet?

autofit selection?

repeat column width (Ctrl Y)

merged cells?
0 Replies

dadpad
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:32 am
ctrl tild ( ~ ) stretches columns
jespah

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:43 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

ctrl tild ( ~ ) stretches columns

That might actually be it, as the guy who's done this (I think twice) claimed it happened when he hit ctrl-tab, which is used to toggle along the tabs. I 'spect he could've hit the tilde instead. Hmm.
dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:50 am
@jespah,
My account is in the mail
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:39 pm
@dadpad,

bingo!

i tested it just to be sure.
once the columns get stretched, a 2nd CTRL - ~ puts 'em back to the way they were.

co-worker has been notified, and i wrote down the correct column widths -- just in case he gets careless again...
0 Replies