Upgrading to Windows XP

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:57 am
Hmm.. I didn't bring up drivers! lol But they can be a problem. I got lucky with my setup but I've heard of others having problems. I only had to go searching for one driver (for my webcam) and I found it pretty easily.

The DirectX problem I had was that the game was looking for a specific file that was used in the DirectX v7 package but not in later versions. All I had to do was install DirectX v7 and then upgrade it to the latest v9 package and all was well again. This wasn't MS's fault. The people that wrote the game wrote the code check in to make sure the user had Direct x7 at the time the game came out but that's a poor way of version checking and they should have known better.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:01 am
Ahh, I thought your issue was a misstated case of your Video Card not supporting openGL graphics with their old driver. It's the most common graphics and gaming problem I see with XP.

But what you describe is, indeed, different. And I agree that the code was stupid.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:08 am
The main gaming problem i've had, and which continues to irk me, is that XP shuts down any game i try to run which was designed for 98 and wants to open a dos window . . . god knows, though, i've got more games than i play--but there are several i'd like to play and can't . . .
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:02 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Also, this year MS is going to be offering the XP 64 bit edition on home pcs. I have to look into it to see if it is worth the wait!

It'll have an advantage if you're running 64-bit hardware & software, which you almost certainly are not. So no, right now youse got no need for the 64-bit edition of Windows XP whatsoever.
0 Replies