Upgrading to Windows XP

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
Y'all have convinced me that upgrading to XP from Windows '98 would solve a lot of the computer problems we have. We received some Christmas cash so we can finally afford to upgrade, we think. (Thanks again for the incredibly generous offer, though, person who may be reading this.) E.G. has some questions:

1.) Will we need to reinstall everything, start fresh, or would be still be able to access various documents/ files, just through a different OS? (We will back everything up, of course, regardless.)

2.) Is multibooting a good idea? I'm not sure if I have the term right... I found it here, and it seems to describe something E.G. wanted me to ask about keeping our old C drive, getting a new one, and putting XP on the new one.

Any other general upgrading-to-XP advice?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,803 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:35 am
No, you will not need to reinstall everything--you should be able to install over 98, and i frankly don't think you need to attempt to operate the old drive from an OS on a new drive. I've done this, and XP just replaces 98 with the new system files, and then allows you to customize within its parameters.

One advantage you might get from putting XP on a new drive is that XP will offer to import your old set-up, and offers options on how this may be accomplished, such as a LAN . . . but, once again, i experienced no problems, and would advise that you simply "put it on top of" your old 98 OS.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:36 am
Soz- Don't know about the other stuff, but I do know that you need to check for compatability with your peripherals, scanner, printer, etc. I know there is a link, but right now I can't seems to put my fingers on it.

I am considering getting a new computer soon. People who are tech savvy have told me to buy the XP Professional, as it is a better, and more stable system.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:39 am
That all sounds good, Setanta, thanks.

Phoenix, yeah, I saw that as I was nosing around over there but now can't find it again.

What about Pro vs. Home Edition?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:42 am
Oh, here 'tis:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/compatibility/default.asp
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:43 am
With the Upgrade versions of XP you can "migrate" your existing applications but IMO, that is just a bad idea. You end up migrating any/all problems that those apps may have too. Things are much more stable with a brandy-new install of the OS and all the apps and you don't end up with a bunch of unnecessary garbage littering your drives.

I prefer to install a new drive, install the new OS, reinstall my apps and then copy over my old data files from the old drive to the new one. I usually leave the old drive out there for a few months just to make sure I really have everything I need off of it and then I'll reformat it and use it for making backups from that point on out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:47 am
Thanks, fishin', that's useful.

Any compatibility problems with non-Microsoft programs, like Corel Office 2000?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:50 am
Soz- This is what MS says.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

I would love to find an unbiased review. Also, this year MS is going to be offering the XP 64 bit edition on home pcs. I have to look into it to see if it is worth the wait!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:50 am
I've had no problem with Corel, and i don't imagine you would. If you do install over your 98, you can reinstall the applications, and your data files will still be available. There are lots of ways to go--it probably would be best to set up a plan of how you intend to do it. If there are crucial files (as in, needed for work, or scholastic papers, etc.) on your current drive, than Fishin's advice would likely be best.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:51 am
I've only run into issues with one older game that uses an older version of "DirectX". Otherwise everything I use has run just fine.

XP also has a "compatibility mode" to allow you to run older programs and fools them into thinking they are running on Win98 if ya need need it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:54 am
I'm seeing why XP comes so highly recommended! Nice features.

Phoenix, yeah, that's why I'm here. The MS site is very informative but I want to cut through the spin. (For example, they try to herd you towards XP Pro when I think Home Edition would work fine for us.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:01 am
Check this out. I'll look for more:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article10-002

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:02 am
I'm using Pro at home and at work. When i "upgraded" my old box (since sold to a friend), i had the Home edition, and i frankly can detect no appreciable difference . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:12 am
I sent E.G. the link to this and he says:

Quote:
Thanks for getting all of that good advice. What fishin' said is what I had in mind, including using the old disk for backups.

I still don't understand what "XP" vs. "XP Upgrade" means though, in terms of purchasing the software. If the latter allows us to do a clean install on a fresh disk, but somehow relinquish the software keys for Windows 98, fine. We should still be able to use the old disk to get our data off, and that's what I wanted anyway. Basically, I am trying to figure out whether "Upgrade" means "we had a previous version of the software" or "it can only be installed in upgrade mode, and not a clean install".

Looks like the XP Home Edition might be fine.

I'm pretty sure our peripherals would all be fine. They are reasonably modern and popular models of major brands.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:13 am
I'm sending him this

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

But I don't understand his question well enough to know if that's the answer.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:16 am
To answer EG's question - The "Upgrade" version simply requires that you have a previous version of a qualifying OS (Win 95/ME/98/NT or 2000) to be able to install it.

When you start an install from an upgrade copy of XP it will check to see if you have an older version. If it can't find one it will prompt you to insert a CD of the old OS into your CD drive. It'll check it and validate that is actually there and then it'll go on it's merry way and act exactly like the "Full" version does. You can install the Upgrade version as a complete "Clean" install (I did exactly that!).

You should be fine with the XP Home Edition Upgrade package. Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:21 am
Cool! Thanks.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:38 am
Sozobe -- When I upgraded to XP - Home several months ago, I had it done in a shop because it was already there getting fixed and they'd do it for $25. It took them longer then expected because after it was started I mentioned I should get the latest version of Norton anti-virus and they had to put that on first, then the XP.

I don't know if that way of doing it was necessary or not, but if you are getting a new Norton or something similar, you might want to find out. Maybe somebody here will say my shop was wrong and it could have been installed afterwards just fine. <shrugging> I just like the durn thing to work, just like my cars works. I don't want to know how it works. I don't want to be a mechanic and I don't want to be a computer tech.

I like the way Fishin's described how he makes a changeover. Not that I could probably do it myself, but it sounds good to get rid of the chaff.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:42 am
Re: Upgrading to Windows XP
sozobe wrote:

1.) Will we need to reinstall everything, start fresh, or would be still be able to access various documents/ files, just through a different OS? (We will back everything up, of course, regardless.)

For the most part your files will be intact. I have seen some instances in which the user folders (user/my documents) had problems so the backups are a good idea.

Quote:
2.) Is multibooting a good idea? I'm not sure if I have the term right... I found it here, and it seems to describe something E.G. wanted me to ask about keeping our old C drive, getting a new one, and putting XP on the new one.

I don't know why you'd want to do that. It could be a good idea but depends on what the objectives are.

Quote:

Any other general upgrading-to-XP advice?

Yes, the only real knock on XP is hardware incompatibility. Make sure you don't install it if it will render most of your hardware useless.

Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:49 am
Formating your drive and changing the file system would be a good idea. You are probably on the old fAT 32 system.

Fishin,

You just brought up the other annoyance I have with XP. Drivers.

The hardware incompatibility issues are usually because hardware manufacturers are not releasing XP drivers for their older models (hoping you'll buy new ones).

The problem fishin describes is probably an openGL graphics issue (as opposed to Direct X, MS is trying to kill off openGL and not Direct X). I had the same problem with my computer in Brazil. But it just meant some games wouldn't work for me.
0 Replies