Cool or weird: turn a suitcase into a shelf?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 09:56 pm
@JTT,
Aha, great (grat!) minds think alike. Though I hadn't gotten that far on what would hold the shelves, or thought re the shelf material. Zinc? Probably polished wood.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:35 am
Thanks all! I might be able to make this work. It really is a pretty old case. Great texture and such.

I ran the idea past Mr. B last night and he didn't roll his eyes quite as crazily as I thought he would. He did call into question the proportions (length) of the case in relation to the space and he's right that it could be better.

I'm still undecided.

I need to rig it up and look at it from further away.....
JTT

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:47 pm
@boomerang,
If you went vertical as Osso suggested you could fit some pretty unique pieces of hardwood, Mr B's specialty, right, Boomer? Maybe that'd bring him on board. Smile

It could even open like a medicine cabinet and it would be perfect for that. What's the total depth of the case?

The hinges are already there, just a nice pinned hardwood latch, bubinga/cocobola, mesquite or even some Pacific NW woods, alder, cedar, redwood, ... SPECTACULAR!!! hand carved by Boomer and Mo, even more spectacular!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:58 pm
@boomerang,
I love seeing adventurous & creative uses for old violin cases, boomerang! Wink
With your touch the result would be cool, I'm certain.
In my case, weird. It would look like a violin case stuck on a bathroom wall. Neutral
Some of us have got it & others of us aint!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 06:43 am
It doesn't look like a violin case, it looks like a long skinny suitcase.

It's only 4 inches deep so it couldn't hold much though. But I'm thinking vertical now.....

The problem with vertical is that it wouldn't show off anything you put in it. I started wanting a shelf after I'd found a couple of cool, old things at a thrift shop (old apothecary jars written in Japanese and a Japanese shaving mug type thing). I thought they'd look cool sitting on a shelf.
JTT

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 10:21 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
It's only 4 inches deep so it couldn't hold much though. But I'm thinking vertical now.....

I don't believe that medicine cabinet shelves are much more than that, but I agree, it'd be harder to make it a display thing vertical.
0 Replies

wintertime1

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 03:40 am
@boomerang,
I'd like to know what you did with the Kolitsch shoulder rest. I've used one for 30 years and would like to find a replacement!
boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 10:25 am
@wintertime1,
I still have it somewhere..... I never did build that shelf so I'm sure the shoulder rest is still in the case.....
0 Replies

theomann

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 04:20 pm
@boomerang,
I knew Vlado Kolitsch. I had the pleasure of being his accompanist on several occasions. He was indeed a world-class violinist, and well known among the classical music elite. He was also a much admired teacher, who mentored a number of talented violinists. He invented the shoulder rest you discovered, and they were very popular. While he was alive, he made them by hand, and I was able to watch him put several together. He was also a very kind and generous person, as was his wife. Ted Mann
0 Replies

theomann

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 04:26 pm
@boomerang,
I would like to buy the Kolitsch shoulder rest from you, if you are willing to sell it. Ted Mann
0 Replies