HAPPY BIRTHDAY P D- B

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:14 am
50 years old today. Still soft in the middle

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0OLFUhWWSsk/S-n8X1_saHI/AAAAAAAABPY/uio2SCB_80o/s1600/pillsbury_doughboy.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 7,972 • Replies: 104
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:01 am
@farmerman,
I'm really sorry about this, but I'm not clear exactly on who P D- B actually is.
In any case, I wish her/him a very happy birthday! Smile
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:05 am
@msolga,
This is PDB's evil brother.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/images-4/stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

You guys dont eat biscuits in Oz?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:05 am
@farmerman,

http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ghostbusters-stay-puft.jpg

the competition didn't last long...
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:06 am
@Region Philbis,
never minte
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:07 am
@farmerman,

(fix-ed...)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:09 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
You guys dont eat biscuits in Oz?

We do, we do.
But I'm still a bit confused.

Never mind, carry on.
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:10 am
@msolga,
His first name is PILSBURY
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:12 am
@msolga,
The Pillsbury Dough Boy is a well known marketing icon for the Pillsbury company. They make baking products like cake mixes and biscuits.
msolga

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:21 am
@engineer,
Ah, I see!

Thank you, engineer. (Obviously I live in another country!)

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:32 am
@msolga,
had some wonderful flaky SOugh Boy bicuits for supper. With chicken gravy they were outstanding. My wife slipped some chopped jalepenos in one of the biscuit layers and it gave a nice azing to the biscuits.

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:49 am
@farmerman,
(Not that I wish to create a digression from this birthday thread, but ...)

When you say "biscuit" it's sort of a cross between bread & pastry, farmer? (going by the link engineer posted) We mean a different thing by the same term in Oz. More like crackers (savoury), or what you'd call cookies (sweet), I guess.

Anyway the idea of adding chilies & eating biscuits with gravy is very mysterious indeed! But I can tell from your description that it was very good.

(Years ago, a good soul here sent me a packet of Bisquick all the way from the US, after Gus ( I think) talked at length about what an amazing wonder food it was! Smile
I had fun playing with it. (thanks, r. Bet you've forgotten you did that!)
No amount of explaining could get the the idea of what this wonder food actually was.)
laughoutlood

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:19 am
@farmerman,
you could make a lotta dough by 50
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 07:20 am
Doh!
I never was much of a baker, but I am fond of that icon of the American baking experience.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 08:10 am
@msolga,
This should help, msolga! You can buy the mix or you can buy them ready-to-bake (as below). See the Doughboy on the label?
http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/004/392/894/290/4392711_5736894_290.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 08:26 am
@msolga,
there is no point to this thread so anything biskitistic is welcome.
Biscuits are a doughy form of cracker anyway. The Pillsbury butermilks have the consiostency of a philo dough, thin layers and theres no yeast in them. I think its all done with baking soda or powder (one is used in acidic water and the other is used with milk-I forget which is which)

They are a treat when fresh and warm and served with pats of sweet (not salty) BUTTER or as a receptacle for various gravies .
I think SOS was actually started as a biscuit and red-eye gravy which was eaten as a whole meal.

NOWADAYS we use biscuits or tpast bread with a "Frizz dried beef and flour/milk gravy). Its salty meaty and rich, and it just tops the biscuit so well.

The reason that the Pillsbury Dough Boy is avoirdupois challenged, is he gets to eat some of his own product every day.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 08:27 am
@Eva,
MONKEY BREAD? Izzat made with free-range monkey?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 08:36 am
@farmerman,
His name is Poppin' Fresh . . .

Some biscuits is a nightmare of lard or vegetable shortening. But buttermilk biscuits substitute the buttemilk for the fat, and if properly made, are light and delicious. You ain't gettin' none of that from Poppin' Fresh.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 08:37 am
An' buttermilk biscuits made from scratch beat the stuffin' out of some old Bisquick nonsense . . .
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:07 am
@Setanta,
Pillsbury is great. I like em better than scratch made. Most people add too much baking soda or powder.
I also like Jiffy Corn Bread better than homemade johny cake.