HAPPY BIRTHDAY P D- B

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:15 pm
@Ceili,
Johny cake is a corruption of its original name "journey cake" You can find a good write up on Wikipedia about the history of "Johny Cakes"

Scrapple is a mix of corn meal and pig parts , nicely ground into a vomer. It is held together by FAT from the hog This is fried slowly and lowly , thefat rendered and the scrapple isw very crispy on the outside. Blackstrap molasses is the best "sauce" for atop a scapple sl;ice.

It probably has some sort of warning label on the package but I used to smoke cigars, so what me worry.

I believe a redeye gravy is made of patty sausages like set was talking about. Its a thickened flour, fat etc and milk, into which is placed chunks of th sausage . This is cooked until thickened and thye sausage "spots" in the gravy are kinda pink or reddish(the name followed). SOS, or frizz beef is sort of the same but its maded with slices of torn up brisket vbeef. Its much saltier so the gravy has to be sweetened a bit / The two gravies, side by side on different biscuits is like a side dish of oysters and clams. Each good, each different.

Of course, I am probably living on borrowed time even thinking about such foods, let alone for breakfast , and not to mention that Id often meet up with some of my drillers and bucket guys and buy everybody breakfast and then wed head out to a coal fiedld and blow **** up real good.
I think that the reason we never keel over with heart attacks is because we usually would use dynamite in boreholes for face blasting and the unspent nitroglycerine in the air would give one a hyeadache, your blood vessels dilated so much from the nitro. (Thats how they dioscovered the medicinal propwrties of nitroglycerine tablets -from Nova SCotian coal minerswho never got heart attacks during the work week. They only had em on weekends when they werent dynamiting anything).

But that definately is another line of thought and I am easily divereted
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Ive had several really good Calif breakfasts . Mostly the fresh squoze orange juice was the kicker.
Floridian breakfasts always had grits.(I never really got the concept of a grit). One of our guys at the phosphate mines near Imokalee used to make a huge ceremony of his grits

Hed pour all his grits from the little bowl into a clean plate (Hed ask for a clean separate plate)

He would then take about seven heavy drops of TABASCO and shoot them into the center of the pile

He would then gently take 2 poached eggs and lay them gently atop the forementioned pile.

Then, most disgusting, hed whip everything together with a fork and spoon it onto buttered toast and eat it .

Jeezus, made me gag
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:21 pm
@Eva,
Not only that, but when my grandmother served strawberry shortcake (with the strawberries we grew ourselves), she put the fruit on fresh, hot buttermilk biscuits. We did the biscuits and jam thing, too, and the jam (or preservers) were home-made.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:23 pm
@Eva,
Biscuits as a des. sert was one use for less than fresh biscuits about which Ive forgotten. My mom would make a biscuit and cherry fondant FONDUE.

The lesss than fresh biscuits stood up well in the cherry fondant hot pot. It would rot your teeth , mine hurt just thinking about how sweet this was.

I forgot when the "Age of Fondue" was but my mom was doin it in the 60'sand I would bring a batch into show and tell
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Then, most disgusting, hed whip everything together with a fork and spoon it onto buttered toast and eat it .

Jeezus, made me gag

You just made me gag, farmer.
Crikey! Shocked
And for breakfast!
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:24 pm
@Setanta,
yeh, ham, thats the red color , not sausaage. Sausage gravy was another style(it was a bit sweeter or hotter depending on the sausage.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
my trick in the gravy is to keep some cream, vinegar and sugar and add to taste. Im sure the buttermilk works, but always have sugar at the side.AND LOTSA FRESH COARSE GROUND PEPPER. (Just call me Goldman)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
I haven't tried it myself. New project on the horizon..

My guess it that it depends on the sausage, but this is said from the clueless perspective.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:30 pm
@ossobuco,
You NMers have an assignemt from class. You should make a biscuit and gravy breakfast and have a gravy gathering.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:34 pm
@msolga,
Grits, by the way, are served in the Old South in the same way that oatmeal would be served elsewhere. It's definitely a pioneer dish,which has remained popular in the South. The first profitable crop a pioneer could put in would be field corn (what you'd call maize). It can be used to make "corn likker," i.e., whiskey, which can be sold profitably. It can be ground up to feed to pigs or cattle. It can be milled (expensive) to make corn meal from which corn bread can be made in many forms--johnny cakes, corn dodgers, hush puppies.

And it can be made into hominy. Field corn would be nearly inedible for humans unless it is milled, which means carting to a miller and paying him (everyone knows millers are theives, too) to grind your corn--an unpopular option in a cash-strapped economy, and almost unavailable for pioneers on the edge of the wilderness. So, someone came up with hominy. Hominy is field corn which is boiled in a solution of lye and water, until it swells and bursts it's hull. It will swell to four or five times it's normal size. It can then be boiled quickly two or three times to remove the lye and it's taste. Pioneers could make lye from wood fire ashes, and use it to make soap and hominy. Hominy is traditionally served fried with bacon or pork sausage. onions, garlic, whatever. Hominy can also be dried and ground in a hand mill to produce a meal-like substance call hominy grits, or just grits. These are served as a side dish with breakfast everywhere in the Old South, and in fact, they usually don't even ask you, they just bring you some.

Grits are just about tasteless, so everyone who eats grits has their own way of making them palatable. People who don't like the sweet will butter them and put salt and black pepper on them. Some people will put Louisiana hot sauce on them, as FM described. Other people like the sweet grits, and will put sugar, or honey or molasses on them, usually after have put enough butter to induce a coronary on first.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
At Cafe del Aroyo outside Espagnola, NM, we'd have a standard breakfast of eggs, bacon or sausage, home fries, plus we'd get rice and beans, and sopapillas with honey afterward. They'd always ask you "Red or green?" when you ordered, and you could spot the tourists because they'd ask "Red or green what?"

(It's actually Espanola with a tilda over the n, but i can't do that on this keyboard, or can't be arsed to figure it out, so i used the g.)
chai2

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:38 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Jeezus, made me gag

You just made me gag, farmer.
Crikey! Shocked
And for breakfast!

Actually, that sounds pretty good to me.

Grits, eggs, toast, tobasco sauce.

What's not to like?
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:41 pm
@chai2,
It was the thought of all that mashed up together on toast, chai. <shudder>
And for breakfast.
I couldn't get out of my chair after a feed like that first thing in the day.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:43 pm
@Setanta,
sopaipillas , when I firt learnt how to make them (got the recipe from the original Poydrills near the AIr BAse at Albuquerque). Qe madse em with everything. I would make the dough much sweeter than the way they did it in NM. Tasted more like a donut.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our guy with the grits would stop talking when he was puddling his grits and pouring on the Tabasco and eggs and pepper. He would only start talking when he spooned his firts load of the grits mung onto his toast.

Best honey in the planet comes from Florida. The Tupelo tree and ornage blossomes make a very fragrant honey that only lmakes it as far north as Imokalee. Only way YAnks can get it is to know somebody who will sell you some.

Ive had the commercial orange blossom honey and its like McOrmick spices, tasteless. Just sweet, no floral backtaste.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:43 pm
@farmerman,
Honey, you are talking to a woman who retains childhood revulsion about any eggs but scrambled with no egg white showing (but not over cooked, dammit).
It's funny to even me - I'm fine with a lot of food most of my friends hate, though not on the level of Vincent at Abuzz... but am an egg freaker.

Oranges..
when I was a kid, orange groves were still there..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:45 pm
@farmerman,
We have to practice first..
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:45 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I couldn't get out of my chair after a feed like that first thing in the day.

Yeah, that's a Saturday meal.

Actually, I don't like Tobasco Sauce. Too HOT for me.

But, I loves me some Crystal Hot Sauce. I know, I'm a wimp.

Believe it or not, the best grits I have had in my life was in the middle of NYC.

I like grits. I like a little cheese over them.

chai2

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:47 pm
@chai2,
ooooooo.....goddam.

Now this looks goooooood.

shrimps and grits.

http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/jesrestaurantequipmentblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ShrimpandGrits.jpg
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:48 pm
@chai2,
I've never eaten grits before.
But I've read a lot about them on A2K! Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:50 pm
@chai2,
hmm, shrimp creole with polenta instead of rice. Ive had grits cakes fried in a skillet and served like a pqancake. They sucked also.