HAPPY BIRTHDAY P D- B

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:26 pm
@farmerman,
The Jiffy corn bread mix is good--but ain't nothin' better'n homemade buttermilk biscuits, iffen ya knows what yer doin' . . .
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:31 pm
@Setanta,
Ill eat any kinda biscuit as long as theyre fresh made, I dont eat day old, I use that fer bait and the bird feeder
dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:41 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
NOWADAYS we use biscuits or tpast bread with a "Frizz dried beef and flour/milk gravy). Its salty meaty and rich, and it just tops the biscuit so well.
also known as SOS (**** On a Shingle)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:41 pm
@farmerman,
I used to eat at a Bob Evans right regular, because it was right where i turned to go to the shop. Their gravy was excellent, 'cause it was made with Bob Evans' sausage--but i'd order toast and a bowl of gravy, because i won't eat them damned biscuits that have been standin' around.

I always take care of the waitresses, so when they figured out what was up they'd tell me if the biscuits were fresh, or tell me to wait a few minutes, there'd be fresh ones coming out soon.

I suspect that day old biscuits have a lot in common with hardtack, or ship's "bread."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 01:33 pm
we have a Sunday breakfast restaurant near Quarryville.( most ALL reastaurants around us are closed on SUndays,)
This restaurant has a plate with biscuits and two different kinda gravies. FRESH hot biscuits with redeye (and/or) SOS.

Give me 2 eggs up, a aside of scrapple on a spearate plate (I use a lot of molasses on my scrapple), and two nice biscuits with both gravies.

I used to weigh 185 and now Im 212 lb. Do these biscuits n gravy make my ass look fat?
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:41 pm
@Eva,
Thanks, Eva.
But once again, wrong country.
(That's why I was asking silly questions which anyone in the US knows the answer to! Smile )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:48 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you, farmer.
All is crystal clear now!
Hooray! Very Happy

Quote:
The reason that the Pillsbury Dough Boy is avoirdupois challenged, is he gets to eat some of his own product every day.

Perhaps it's just as well this product can't be found in my neck of the woods? Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:02 pm
@farmerman,
No, your ass makes your ass look fat.

There was this late night, we're all drunk restaurant in Orlando, which had a "barn buster special." Three eggs, link sausage, sausage patties, milk gravy and four biscuits, a bowl of grits (obligatory south of the Mason-Dixon line), home fries, juice and coffee. It was a mere $10 (1988). My favorite, though, was this 24 hour Greek restaurant, which only served breakfast after the bars closed and until 8:00 am. You'd get your eggs, homefries and biscuits, but the sausage was two spicy hot (burn your mouth) Greek sausages about the size of a bratwurst. They'd serve that with a "Greek village" salad--lettuce, onions, cherry tomatoes, whole black olives and dressed in olive oil and tzatziki (which is goat's milk yogurt, garlic, diced cucumbers, black pepper, lemon juice and fresh mint).

I'd get up in the morning and light my first cigarette just by breathing on it, no lighter required.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:39 pm
@msolga,
Forget? No way.
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 04:50 pm
@roger,
I haven't either, obviously. Smile
That was quite an adventure.
And the cost of the postage! Momma mia! Surprised
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:08 pm
Biscuits matter, but so does gravy. Rare is the occasion when a cafe can manage both..
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:10 pm
Kitty Cats make very good biscuits. (although mine make muffins.)

Here, you can obviously see the difference between making muffins, and making biscuits.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:15 pm
OK, I've got a few questions. What are Johnny cakes. I think I know what scrapple is, from a previous thread but with molasses! really?
But what are the two gravies? and why two? And what is a redeye?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:33 pm
I must add where I once had the perfect biscuits and gravy (and bacon and eggs and coffee): the Mission Cafe in the small town of San Juan Bautista, near Hollister, CA. That was my gold standard. Haven't been there for more than five years - well, December 2005, but some online reviews still regard it well. Cooks may vary, but breakfast was wonderful every time I went there over the years.

This is a couple of miles off of highway 101, but no big deal.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:34 pm
This thread is making me drool. I haven't had any really really really good biscuits and gravy in a very long time. Damn....

I'm gonna have to go get me some sausage now and try again.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
There was also a great place in Culver City (Los Angeles area) that we would land at in the early nineties, but the lady owner passed away (I think) and the place changed. I've lost the name in my memory bank, but it was on the triangular block facing north, or north-ish. Not sure if it changed badly right away, or ever, so I won't say that. But now, Culver City is a foodie hub that I wouldn't recognize. Ironic - its main shopping street was desolate for decades.
Eva

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:43 pm
Biscuits and jam were a breakfast staple at our house when I was growing up. For Sunday dinner, we'd have biscuits with butter and honey. We still do that for holiday meals.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:48 pm
@ossobuco,
BFN, I ordered biscuits and gravy at the Flying Star on Rio Grande - theirs was made with turkey sausage and I forget what else. I liked it the first time, though not on the Mission Cafe level, and the second time the biscuits were burned. But every time I've been there since (not all that many, but let's say ten), it's not on the menu. I've been ok with the b & g at Calico, as not the worst, but it is often way salty.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I have problems getting the gravy to taste right. I think southerners must use all buttermilk or a certain ratio of it when the recipes call for milk in their gravies.

I usually do okay with the sausage.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:13 pm
@Ceili,
Johnny cake is another name for corn bread. I don't know about FM's case, but most places of which i know who sell two gravies sell a white, milk gravy made with sausage, and red-eye gravy. Red-eye gravy is a very southern thing (although it's now become popular everywhere). It's a gravy made from pan-fried ham steaks (sometimes that and bacon), and is similar to a milk gravy, but the classic red-eye is made with coffee, too. It are gooooooooooooood . . .