ARAB LEAGUE CALLS FOR A NO-FLY ZONE IN LYBIA

georgeob1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You can "ask" the likes of dys to stay on topic. He only tries to get my crawl, but I've never ran away from scum like him, and never will.

How about knocking off this, at very best, childish stupidity and name calling ? You are being increasingly offensive to all here and you make yourself look like an unhinged, neurotic old fool.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:50 pm
The idea that we should be going to war in Libya, in any way at all, is ******* ridiculous. We simply cannot afford to do so at this time and frankly I don't even know why we would give a ****.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:52 pm
@georgeob1,
I am a neurotic old fool. dys has been on my case for a couple of years now, and nobody seems concerned about him. He has a girlfriend problem and a mental problem, and he's trying his best to get my goat. Ain't gonna happen; I'll remain a neurotic old fool.

It's very simple; he leaves me alone, I'll ignore him.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If the shoe fits....

Why not confine your vituperation and name calling to PMs ? I don't think the rest of us are at all interested in it.
Irishk

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:04 pm
Speaking of names, a journalist on CNN, reporting from the outskirts of Benghazi the other night, said that the rebels object to that name (understandable, I guess). She didn't mention what they did want to be called, but I think 'rebel' is going to stick for the time being.

British authorities have referred to them as 'valid interlocutors'. Doesn't have quite the same ring. 'Freedom fighters' might work unless they win and start doing the same thing the 'loyalists' are doing -- shooting people who don't conform to their policies.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:08 pm
@georgeob1,
I already admitted that the "shoe fits." You wear a lot of different kinds of shoes too, but you'd never know it by your attacks on me.

I would then suggest that dys write his posts to me by PM. Is that fair enough for you?

BTW, I have written to dys by PM, but he seems ignorant of my messages. I'd guess that was about two months ago.

Also, why aren't you sending me PM's instead of broadcasting it on a public forum?
Irishk

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The idea that we should be going to war in Libya, in any way at all, is ******* ridiculous. We simply cannot afford to do so at this time and frankly I don't even know why we would give a ****.

I like a man who doesn't mince words. Will Congress have to vote on our participation, should there be any, even now that the UN has passed the resolution?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:31 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

I like a man who doesn't mince words. Will Congress have to vote on our participation, should there be any, even now that the UN has passed the resolution?

They should have to. I didn't like this bullshit when bush was pulling it and I don't like it now that Obama is doing it.

I have no problem with 'supporting freedom,' but let's be clear - I didn't tell the Libyans to revolt, I didn't pick a fight with Qaddaffi, and I didn't at any point incur responsibility for paying the bill for their war.

It'll end bad, I'll tell ya that right now. It usually does, when force is involved.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 03:49 pm
@Irishk,
No, Congress does not have a say in it immediately. Lyndon Johnson expanded the war in Vietnam under the authority of the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, and we now know that Robert McNamara willfully lied to him and to Congress about the allegation that North Vietnamese boats fired on USS Maddox and USS C. Turner Joy. The suspicion that that was the case grew in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and in 1973, Congress passed the War Powers Resolution, and passed it over Nixon's veto. Here's an explanation of the terms of the resolution from Encyclopedia-dot-com.

Quote:
The act prescribes procedures for consulting, reporting, and terminating deployment of U.S. armed forces unauthorized by Congress. The president is required to: (1) consult Congress “in every possible instance” before deploying forces abroad; (2) report to both houses within forty‐eight hours and periodically about the circumstances and estimated duration of a deployment; and (3) terminate deployment within sixty days of the initial report unless Congress specifically approves or the president requests a thirty‐day extension to protect the safety of personnel. Congress is authorized to direct withdrawal at any time by concurrent resolution, which presidents cannot veto. To guide interpretation, the act disclaims inferences from statutes, appropriations, or treaties that presidents may commit forces without specific authorization; it also disclaims intentions to alter constitutional powers of the two branches.

However, Presidents immediately began ignoring the war powers act (as it is now known), and have "creatively" interpreted it. Unless Congress can get a joint resolution to order American military forces to stand down, Presidents have interpreted this resolution to mean they have sixty days when Congress cannot hinder them short of a joint resolution to cease and desist. A President can (and Ford, Reagan and Pappy Bush did) "consult" with Congress at the same time as they commit military forces, and then dither around for at least sixty days. That is the de facto situation, because of the difficulty of getting a concurrent resolution out of Congress.

It's a lot easier for one man to act than five hundred thirty-five. The de jure answer is that Congress must approve. The de facto answer is that Presidents have and continue to do pretty much what they please.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:02 pm
@Setanta,
Doesn't congress still need to approve the funding for any military action?
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, in theory, but the executive branch can and always does play with money already appropriated for the Defense Department. If any kind of approval come from Congress, then the President has two years, because the constitution states that (Congress shall have the power): To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years; So, the Prez can play as he wants with any money appropriated for two years. It's a forest of contradictions, and the provision in the war powers resolution which attempts to exempt the resolution from the inferences of other laws or acts has never been tested in court.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm actually amazed that I respond so rarely to your infantile slobbering fart-bubble posts but I just don't care enough when the content is limited to your "analysis" of my character; adding Lady Diane to your ranting is beyond the pale of civil discourse. I shall no longer consider you as "just" slug slime nastiness one endures as internet debris.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:28 pm
@dyslexia,
You don't know what "evil" is; you back-stabber!

FYI, I didn't say anything bad about Diane; only what you can do! You do backstab people who considered you a friend at one time.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Also, why aren't you sending me PM's instead of broadcasting it on a public forum?

I actually tried but the system rejected it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:36 pm
@georgeob1,
I guess that excuses you.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:04 pm
Tak, tell me about Dys' girlfriend problems, please. Since I am with him twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, with breaks for groceries, to pick up prescriptions and the once in a while trip to Goodwill, I'm trying to think when he has had girlfriend problems.

He can be cranky, I can be crazy. We are an odd couple. We are actually happy despite all the ill health., so please, give it a rest.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:05 pm
Getting pretty thick in here

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:11 pm
@Diane,
I never attack first. I'm what you call a reactionary. All he has to do is leave me alone or at least not try to get my goat with idiotic questions on my posts. He tries to trip me up with non-sequiturs that isn't even part of my post. The last post he attacked was because I used the words "freedom fighters" about the Libyan demonstrators.

I'm sorry if you took offense, but I'm telling you again that I have never had any ill will towards you. You also know by my PMs why this continues to fester.

If he doesn't like my response, tell him to quit his one-upsmanship. Better yet, we'll both be ahead if he stops attacking me with his stupid questions that he thinks are traps. He's the child here; I'm only a old neurotic man who doesn't like to be attacked when I thought we used to be friends.

He can stop all this, but it's his choice, not mine.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Getting pretty thick in here

Cycloptichorn

Yeah, this thread's fucked now. I suggest Osso's "military action against Libya" thread.
mysteryman

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 05:18 pm
Can we get back on topic, and leave the infantile name calling to another thread, please.

As for the no fly zone in Libya, I personally believe that the US should not get involved, nor should we commit any forces to it.
To the best of my klnowledge, every country bordering the Med is a member of the UN, and the actions in Libya have more effect on them then they do us.
So, let the members of the Arab League and let the countries bordering the Med enforce it.

For the US to get involved will only fuel more anti- American sentiment, and no mater how it turns out the US will be seen as the bad guys.

So, since its a problem in Africa, let Africa deal with it.