ARAB LEAGUE CALLS FOR A NO-FLY ZONE IN LYBIA

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 12:40 pm
This is from Yahoo News:

Quote:
In Brussels, NATO envoys on Friday were considering ways to enforce the U.N. resolution. Aircraft flying from NATO bases in Sigonella, Sicily, Aviano in northern Italy, and a U.S. carrier in the Mediterranean could enforce the no-fly zone.

I had thought that Italy wanted no part of this. If aircraft could be based in Sicily (or even Aviano), then it would be much easier, and much less expensive to enforce a no-fly zone. O'George has said there is no carrier in the Med. I'd be interested to hear his comment on this.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 12:45 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I have pointed out to you that your entire thesis, based as it is on a declaration of war against Libya, is flawed because no declaration of war is needed. You won't address that.

Sure I will, it is simply not true that "my entire thesis" is based on a declaration of war on Libya. As usual you are just making stuff up about my position.

I do argue that it is an act of war and that is more serious than what some made a "no-fly zone" to sound like initially (e.g. folks like Kerry) but nowhere did I make any kind of legal claim about a declaration of war being needed. So what is your point?

Quote:
Why should i continue to engage with you when you are insufficiently intellectually honest to admit this compromising flaw in your argument?

I'm not the one saying you should engage me, I am the one saying that this is profitless. And I can't argue with you if you just make stuff straw men like that. This is the intellectual dishonesty of which I speak that you are so fond of.

Quote:
And, of course, you continue to call names. How charming--yeah, that's gonna make me want to continue.

If you don't want to don't. I'll probably survive without your charms for a day or so.
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 12:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You said we would have a moral obligation to go in on the ground.

In your first post, You wrote:
If we declare war against the current regime (which you agree that the no-fly zone is) then I think we are no longer neutral bystanders and have a responsibility to try not leave Libya worse off than prior to the whole declaring war on the other country thing.

When i questioned that, you said we would incure the obligation if we declared war in order to enforce a no-fly zone.

In response, You wrote:
No. I made very clear that if we are going to declare war on Libya we are morally obligated to be willing to do more than that.

I pointed out that we would not need to declare war in order to do that, and now you're saying if we "join the war," rather than saying if we declare war, or if we "invade." You're trimming your sails to suit the wind, and that is intellectual dishonesty. As i have pointed out repeatedly, we don't have to declare war to do this, and i reject your silly claim that enforcing a no-fly zone constitutes an invasion, which would oblige us "morally."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:10 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

O'George has said there is no carrier in the Med.

At least, there's no US aircraft carrier at the moment there: the USS Enterprise, which in recent weeks was stationed in the Red Sea, has been moved eastwards, away from Libya, to join the USS Carl Vinson, in the Arabian Sea to support Afghanistan operations.
However, the U.S. Navy has five combat ships in the Mediterranean, including at least one guided missile destroyer.

France's Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier is in Toulon. (The carrier could reach the Libyan coast in one and a half days carrying 15 fighter jets. Its battle group includes three frigates, a fuel-supply ship and an attack submarine.)

Sources: Reuters, AFP; various ship trackers.

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter, that's the kind of information i was looking for. I wasn't finding it search Google News or Yahoo News.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
How many more days will it take before the freedom fighters in Libya gets any support?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I pointed out that we would not need to declare war in order to do that, and now you're saying if we "join the war," rather than saying if we declare war, or if we "invade."

My point is not and never has been that we are legally required to make a formal declaration of war. My point is that I consider it to be an act of war, and that such acts should be considered very carefully.

Quote:
When i questioned that, you said we would incure the obligation if we declared war in order to enforce a no-fly zone.

Liar. You keep putting these claims about legal obligations in my mouth. It's pathetic.

Quote:
You're trimming your sails to suit the wind, and that is intellectual dishonesty.

No, you are simply making up positions and ascribing them to me. At no point did I ever say a formal declaration of war was necessary.

Quote:
As i have pointed out repeatedly, we don't have to declare war to do this,

And we didn't have to declare war to start the Vietnam war either, but it was still a war. I never made any claim about needing to declare war formally.

Quote:
....and i reject your silly claim that enforcing a no-fly zone constitutes an invasion, which would oblige us "morally."

Duly noted. If you have any arguments that actually address my position about ownership of responsibility when we elect to no longer be a neutral party then I would love to hear it. To try (probably fruitlessly) to prevent you from making more of your famous straw men, here it is very clearly for you again:

I believe that when nations decide to use military force to intervene in another nation that they gain some responsibility for the outcome of the situation. I don't believe any such legal obligation exists (at least not that general of one) just that if we help them break their country that we should help them fix it, but that if we stay out of it we are justified in refusing to help them fix it.

What I would like to avoid is a repeat of history where we encourage rebels, make a no-fly zone but don't do enough to prevent them from being crushed anyway. My position is that if we encourage these rebels to fight we need to protect them, and if the no-fly zone wasn't enough we should be willing to do more.

If you have an argument against that, which is my actual position then have at it. Try to keep your deceitful straw men to a minimum.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
which "freedom fighters" would you be referring to?
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I quoted your post about declaring war above, and you're back to your schoolyard technique of calling names. You truly are pathetic. Grow up, boy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:45 pm
@dyslexia,
Freedom from Gaddafi. I had to explain that?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
so Castro was a freedom fighter I suppose.
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:49 pm
@dyslexia,
I believe it would not be inaccurate to say that he saw himself, or at least attempted to portray himself that way. Mileage will differ.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:52 pm
@dyslexia,
As was the Afghan resistance movement aka Taliban.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 01:57 pm
@dyslexia,
Who's talking about Cuba; the topic of this thread is "Arab League." You're an idiot trying to start an argument for no reason. Why don't you go beat your girl friend.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:06 pm
Jesus Christ . . . can we dispense with the name-calling and personal reflections?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:07 pm
@Setanta,
No. You don't control me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:16 pm
I haven't claimed to. This thread is getting trashed by name-calling, and i didn't try to tell you anything. I'm asking.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:22 pm
@Setanta,
You can "ask" the likes of dys to stay on topic. He only tries to get my crawl, but I've never ran away from scum like him, and never will.
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:28 pm
Apparently, though, asking for you not to call names was a wasted effort. Thanks a lot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:42 pm
@Setanta,
Set, You're known as a total gentleman on a2k. ROFLMAO
0 Replies