Rockhead

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:11 am
@JPB,
wow...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:16 am
@ossobuco,
Japanese geologist talking a week ago about the damage at Christchurch being caused by liquefaction and not the earthquake.

Quote:
Mori said the extent of the liquidation caused by the quake was one of the largest on record. He said he will compare devastated areas with those with less damage to find out why some areas were affected more than others.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:03 pm
I'll stop here and not derail further, just adding a link on how they are thinking of rebuilding in Christchurch -
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10710169

and to say that I've just spent time looking up floating slabs/waffle slabs re fixes for building in liquefaction zones, and all the links I found are re ordinary floating slabs, not what this japanese architect was talking about. Alas, I forget his name to just ask him.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:33 pm
@JPB,

Thanks; please look carefully at the blinking red line (as opposed to the solid yellow line) on the map of Japan on your video, it represents the tsunami-affected area. Makes obvious why nuclear plant's sea wall (clearly visible on sat pic I posted on previous page) was overwhelmed by wave sequence crashing onto land with such tremendous force. All of Japan moved eastwards by about 12 meters! Meanwhile I found out that nuclear facility's GE's Mark I design provides for keeping the spent fuel rods on top of the actual reactor core. If there's not enough coolant for the reactors, then the problem becomes how spent fuel pools be safe, and from Tokyo Electric's website there's no update on anything except containment vessels. As have to leave soon and don't know when can post here again, want to say this:

I can't understand what the government of France was thinking when it instructed its citizens to leave Tokyo for safer locations S / SW because the wind tomorrow is expected to turn N / NE. It's bad enough that "greens" and leftists of all kinds in Europe have caused an outcry against nuclear power - but this should not be allowed to happen in the U.S. Thanks to all here - I've maybe half an hour to get organized before logging out so hope to see some more real data (not 'chickenlittle" stuff) before then Smile
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:40 pm
I was reading an interesting explanation for how it happened that the generators for the nuclear plants were left low enough that water got to them (thus causing what appears to be the partial melt downs of three reactors)......seems that the experts miss guessed on what the strongest quake this fault could produce, and this folding of the Earth crust lowered the Eastern coast of Japan by two feet. The wave was larger than planned for and the earth was lower than planned for.....

OOPS!

Ties in nicely to something that I heard hours after the quake...that this quake was in the wrong place. The experts said that it would happen more than a hundred miles from this spot.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:41 pm
Masashi Goto, Japanese engineer who helped design the containment vessel for Fukushima reactor, gave press conference with English translation focusing on reactor 3. very informative: www.ustream.tv

It starts about 2 minutes into the video
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:45 pm
Quote:
On the coastline of Miyagi prefecture, which took the full force of the tsunami, a Japanese police official said 1,000 bodies were found scattered across the coastline. Kyodo, the Japanese news agency, reported that 2,000 bodies washed up on two shorelines in Miyagi.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:47 pm
@JPB,
Oh, that is excruciating.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:33 pm
BBC: Another big explosion. Unit #2?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
RJ, I'm probably among your biggest fans, but read and look.

And learn how to link.

I'm not going to do it for you again.

Look at the url, the thing at the top of the screen that starts with http.

Click on it.
Then click on cut or copy on your browser in the edit section.

Post that.

Just the **** try it. Or get Goth Boy to show you.

I know you are brighter than this.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks for the alert, RJB. Appreciate it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:20 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
As have to leave soon and don't know when can post here again, want to say this:

Don't let the screen door hit you on your way out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:33 pm
New blast (probably what RJB was referring to):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/asia/15nuclear.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:45 pm
I actually love real john boy from afar or near, but I'm aggravated that I or others have to do a link for him.

The man is a semi genius and wise in many ways, ways I have no clue at.

Goth Boy can give him a simple instruction..

thus I take rjb as recalcitant to linking.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
BBC: Another big explosion. Unit #2?

Yep.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/03/14/uk-japan-quake-explosion-idUKTRE72D8FH20110314
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:00 pm
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but the USGS has updated this quake to magnitude 9.0
Update Notice
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:10 pm
Looks like the third explosion caused damage to parts of the reactor that are outside the containment dome. No breach of the containment dome, but a spike in radioactivity requiring the evacuation of staff from some areas.

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110315D15JF838.htm
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:13 pm
@oralloy,
Watch out for unit #4, after #1, 3 and 2. BBC reporting something going on there.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Watch out for unit #4, after #1, 3 and 2. BBC reporting something going on there.

Yes. The reactor next to the three meltdowns has just been reported to be on fire.

Also, they've just ordered a bunch of people in a certain radius to stay indoors.

Am looking for a link.

EDIT: Fire Link -|- Stay indoors Link
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:49 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:

Yes. The reactor next to the three meltdowns has just been reported to be on fire.

Also, they've just ordered a bunch of people in a certain radius to stay indoors.

Am looking for a link.

EDIT: Fire Link -|- Stay indoors Link

Another link:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gNkGibkETq-xTvGlUCvYNuG5TYfw
0 Replies