Deciding what I want to be when I grow up...

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 05:17 pm
Seriously... I am married with two kids and a career but I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! Ha!

I dislike my job, some of the work is find, I like being in the office and working on the computer. I HATE being resposible for issuing someone's pay check when they are out of work. Not being able to get to everyone's claim in time because of how bad things are at the office right now, people sometimes go two weeks without a check. I feel guilty and overwhelmed.

So here I am, 26 years old and trying to figure out what I want to be, what field I belong in and how in the hell I am going to get there!

Anyone else in the same boat? It would be so nice to know I am not alone!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,234 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 06:12 pm
Why do you want to grow up?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 06:33 pm
@Crazielady420,
I went through a very similar feeling when I was you age. I kinda floundered around a bit until I finally decided to go back to school and change careers. That took me 8 years part time, but it was the best decision I ever made.

I think it's normal to assess your life in a, "Is this all there is?" kind of assessment every so often. I remember that it was a very hard time for me emotionally and I was very glad once I finally found a new focus.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 07:09 pm
@JPB,
I agree with jpb on this. I was older, approaching 40 when I started looking for more out of my work, which I had liked quite a lot over the years, mixed with some serious unhappiness. But, at 30 I had started taking art lessons after work, and over about six years, become a painter on my own, and gotten more and more interested in doing something somehow involved in that to earn a living. (I never thought I'd break into some art limelight.)

I signed up for a drafting class at a university extension, with no big idea of getting into drafting for a living, just something I'd like to know how to do, just as I had learned caligraphy, but I enjoyed the class. Turned out everyone else in the class was studying landscape architecture. What? What is that? So, I signed up for a second class, elements of design.

My life just changed with that class, thank you, Nori.

My previous life studying science and running/handling labs wasn't a loss, it was still part of me. My interests became more complex over all those years.
I looked back and thought I was bonkers to pick science in the first place, re my own real interests. Took me a while to figure out I was/am complex mix.

I think it has been hard for people to figure out what they really like before getting catapulted into making a living. It pretty much always has been. A lot of people, maybe even the majority, change what they want to do over time. It's harder to change now than in the recent past in that just having a job is a good thing. But humans are still the same..
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:56 pm
I've just gone back to school. My daughter's in uni and my son's about to graduate from highschool. I've done so many things (jobs) in my life that I hated just to pay the mortgage and bills.
So, I started thinking about the things I really enjoyed. I love taking photos and writing. I'm the queen of useless trivia especially history and geography and I love traveling. So I'm now studying to be a travel agent. Not that I think I'll absolutely love the job, but the perks seem pretty good and I can hopefully use all the above in the career and maybe take it a step further.
Basically what I'm saying is... It's never too late to start over and try something new and more intune with who or what you are.
I have no idea if this is where I'll stay but for now at least, it's an interesting diversion. Maybe I can write travel columns/blogs or take travel photos, I'm better with scenery than people.
Good luck with whatever you choose and whenever you dive in. Just don't give up hope of doing something you enjoy.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 09:23 pm
@Ceili,
Good going, Ceili.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 09:36 pm

People shoud do what thay enjoy most and do the best.

David
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 08:38 pm
Glad to know I am not alone... I am a a very creative person. I love music, singing, writing, photography and art.. I just started taking professional singing lessons. I would love to write music.
0 Replies

goldcoast

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 01:05 pm
@Crazielady420,
Any idea about what would make you happy? People often go into jobs because they care more about the idea of a paycheck rather than adding the factor of loving what you do. More days than not, in an ideal world, work wouldn't feel like WORK. I'd research some programs or certificates you could study for and pursue a different career..one that you'll truly enjoy. YES THEY EXIST! Best of luck to you... and remember, "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now."

Cheers!
0 Replies