The First Proven Extraterrestrial Life?

Eorl

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 11:48 pm
http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html

This looks pretty serious. Thoughts? Implications?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,801 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:13 am
@Eorl,
It looks like a serious report. I admit to having no special insights to add.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:53 am
@Eorl,
I await a peer review . It is pretty hard not to get excited though....debris may be a way life has found of seeding the galaxy . There are still many hurdles to get that to a planet that will support intelligent life .

Some churches may have to go into damage control mode, but most would simply accept it was God who made it . If true, then we have been visited by aliens, albeit not quite von Daniken style .
0 Replies

michael yardy

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:04 am
@Eorl,
Thanks for the post Eorl, This is serious stuff and it is suppose to happen sooner or later. The human species will have to deal with extraterrestrials at some time in the future. They could be of any kind multicellular creatures to highly intelligent lifeforms. In this case it's fossils of multicellular creatures. I believe there are bigger and far more advanced organisms there than just the ones the good doctor has discovered and only TIME can answer to that question...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:28 am

We don 't need extraterrestrial trouble.
We have enuf domestic trouble already.

David
Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I have heard extra-terrestrial is more expensive than domestic and is of inferior quality .
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 05:54 am
@michael yardy,
Well, I was kinda worried that life was (or is) scattered scarcely enough (even if it was plentiful) that we'd never know in my own lifetime. Hope this pans out.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:04 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html

This looks pretty serious. Thoughts? Implications?

I'll be anxious to see how far it gets through peer review.

But to me, Finding fossil/mineral formations which show some similarity to microbial life is still a far stretch from finding life itself. First they have to prove that it WAS life before things get really interesting. Then they have to prove that it came from the asteroid (and not some other form of contamination), then they have to deduce the environment of the asteroid, etc. Judging from the article, it seems to me that there are still a lot of assumptions being made based on speculative evidence.

In short, I guess I feel like they still have a long way to go before drawing the conclusion that multicellular life lived/evolved/grew on these chunks of rock while they were floating around in space (or laying on the ground on another planet or moon).
Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 02:40 pm
@rosborne979,
Yep

And it seems NASA have been the first in line with the stick.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/08/3157645.htm
rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 07:13 pm
@Eorl,
Here's another story from Wired.com

His claims are spectacular, but the evidence he presents to support those claims, is far less than spectacular. And that's a very suspicious combination.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 07:29 pm
@Eorl,
And here's the tail end of what PZ Myers thought about this publication...
Quote:
...I'm looking forward to the publication next year of the discovery of an extraterrestrial rabbit in a meteor. While they're at it, they might as well throw in a bigfoot print on the surface and chupacabra coprolite from space. All will be about as convincing as this story.

While they're at it, maybe they should try publishing it in a journal with some reputation for rigorous peer review and expectation that the data will meet certain minimal standards of evidence and professionalism.

Otherwise, this work is garbage. I'm surprised anyone is granting it any credibility at all.
Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 07:57 pm
@rosborne979,
ouch
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:31 pm
There are different levels of scientific acceptance :

1st - It is absolute fallacy and anyone who believes it is a moron of the highest degree .
2nd - It has some very basic merit by highlighting already well established principles .
3rd - This study shows the beginning of an area that has some true potential .
4th - I have always thought this a well researched study and tend to agree with its findings .
5th - It is to be commended as a ground breaking discovery and I strongly agree with its findings .
6th - Anyone who doesnt accept that this is now well established fact clearly has only a 5th grade education and is not worthy of discussing science with .
7th - It is absolute fact and anyone who doesnt believe it is a moron of the highest degree .

This is clearly in the early stages..... Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:42 pm

WHAT r the chances
of Earth being the only planet to have life on it,
out of trillions of Gallaxies ?????
Ionus

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Earth being the only planet to have life on it,
Quite good actually....

Life can only exist on a second stage solar system . This means life can only have originated 4'5 billion years ago . Complex life emerged half a billion years ago . Intelligent life emerged 100,000 years ago . It is easier to imagine it taking a longer time to develop . It is harder to imagine it taking a shorter time, giving the ideal conditions here yet the number of times it has almost been wiped out and had to start again .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 10:36 pm

I hope that Earth is the only planet with life on it,
however little the chances thereof r.

Alien life will be bad news for us.
Ionus

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 04:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Alien life will be bad news for us.
Thats a very interesting possibility . We tend to assume that higher life will be technologically advanced hippies.....but what if they have a hive mentality ? THAT would be very bad indeed .
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:07 am
@Ionus,
If we simply look at the experience
of the vast numbers of different species
on Earth (land n water) we see that
when 2 species come together,
it is usually bad news for the weaker species.

When Europeans arrived in the Americas,
what happened to the Indians ?

I 'd love to believe that we were the only
life in the Gallaxy, but I realize how little the chances r of that.
0 Replies