ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:17 pm
I prefer most veggies done from scratch in the microwave. Done fast, clean, and with more nutrients left in the veggie since there's less water and less cooking time. Nothin' better than micro-waved corn on the cob, or steamed carrots done in the micro. I could easily give up my oven/stove. They're basically storage units at my house now.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:36 pm
farmerman

Ever had an egg do the EXPLODING THING in the microwave? Oh my!!! Shocked
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:41 pm
Brussels sprouts do it quite well too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:44 pm
<sigh>

You've just made me think of one of my favourite veggies, Eve, and I'm going to have to cut back on it. I love those turtle heads (Brussel Sprouts), but I've got to cut back on my cruciferous veggies (thyroid-troubles). Waahhhhh!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:50 pm
Brussel sprouts just need 5 mins cooking - which makes it even difficult for the sauce :wink: - on a normal stove. Can't see any advantage to a microwave in this case.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:59 pm
My mom taught me a trick for microwave corn on the cob. Don't peel it. Don't even pull back a leaf. Just put it in the micro and nuke it for 5-10 mins depending on how strong your oven is.

With oven mitts, hold the ear, loosen the leaves at the top and grab the silk. It will pull out all at once. Then just pull the leaves back and break the cob off. It's much easier than picking the raw silk off!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 04:16 pm
Hey, that's good, Wy!
Has anyone tried cooking a whole pumpkin in the microwace (after piercing it in a few places)? Very easy. much simpler than trying to peel it first AND delicious! A very easy way to make pumpkin soup: Just add everything else after you've peel & mashed it. Yum!
0 Replies