Misdemeanor or Felony?

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 11:01 am
I live in Baltimore Maryland. In 2007 I was arrested and charged with multiple offenses. The charge that I ended up pleading guilty to was possession of a firearm with a disqualifying crime. The disqualifying crime is a 2nd Degree assualt which is a misdemeanor. My problem is that my Lawyer told me that it was a misdemeanor and thats really why I took the plea deal. I have been looking for jobs and it seems really funny to me that Im not able to get one. Basically Im not sure if my lawyer was being honest to me. If my lawyer lied to me I want to know what can I do to get this situation looked at? Who can I go to about this situation?

contrex

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 11:51 am
@manny123,
manny123 wrote:
I have been looking for jobs and it seems really funny to me that Im not able to get one.

Well, I wonder why? Maybe you come over kind of threatening? I wouldn't give you a job if I knew you were prone to attacking people while armed with a gun. I wouldn't even go within 5 miles of you! I think you are showing the typical denial of responsibility exhibited by many criminals - "It's not my fault I can't get a job/am in jail/whatever - it's that damn lawyer". That can make a bad impression at interviews, too.

0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 11:56 am
@manny123,
You mean you got a sheet shows a felony when you only pled guilty to a misdemeanor?

Sometimes the record can be changed, try http://www.probonomd.org/current.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 12:21 pm
@manny123,
People with pristine records and exemplary education are having problems finding jobs these days.

Having a criminal record of any type, misdemeanor or felony, puts you further back in the line. Don't give up.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 10:15 am
@manny123,
According to Maryland Code, Title 5, sec. 4-204, the use of "any handgun in the commission of a crime of violence, as defined in ยง 5-101 of the Public Safety Article, or any felony ... is guilty of a misdemeanor." Second degree assault is considered a "crime of violence" under sec. 5-101 of the Public Safety title. If that's what you pled guilty to, then you pled guilty to a misdemeanor.
0 Replies