Today's photo: "Duck hiding in weeds"

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:58 am
We have an infestation of Canada Geese. They now spend the entire year here. Last year, two nesting pairs decided to nest in the ornamental shrubbery by an ornamental pond at a very busy intersection. They would routinely tie up traffic as they sauntered slowly across the road with goslings in tow. Some idiot ran down one of the offspring, about a year old--and someone else wrote down the plate number, and called the polezei. The coppers contacted Fish and Game, who slapped the guy with fines for hunting out of season, and taking game without a permit.

I hate Canada geese . . .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:06 am
Yes Gustav you gulled us into writing about waterfowl and there we silly geese were getting ready to duck when the next Ratzenhofer picture landed, and it was just another one of your migrations into web(bed)fantasy.
BTW those aren't weeds them is sedge.
"The sedge has withered from the lake
And no ducks quack."
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:09 pm
A funny thing happened at my aunts house, there were 12 ducks lined up in single file starting two feet away from a puddle. Each duck took a running start and slid through the puddle and then would toddle to the end of the row. This went on till the puddle disappeared and I swear the ducks were laughing the whole time.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:28 pm
Ceili, where'd you get the reefer, and how much did you pay?

Damn! I want some of that stuff.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:28 pm
BTW, McT, there is a street near where i live, and it is named Riversedge Drive. I have always wondered if that were to mean something named after the edge of a river, or the sedge in a river. I once had the opportunity to speak to the man who developed that area. I asked him. He basically said: "I dunno."
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:38 pm
Good story, Setanta. I like it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:42 pm
Ta, Gus . . .

Say, have you been losing weight?

You look so much more slim and trim tonight . . .
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:42 pm
Reminds me of an apartment complex I saw once. It was in an incredibly run-down part of town -- rusted automobiles, patches of dead grass, dead trees, nothing but decay. The building was located on Grand Avenue.

What name did the owner come up with to try and entice future residents?

You got it...... Grandview Apartments
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:44 pm
And, yes, I have lost some weight. I have been concentrating on my biceps.

Just bored I guess.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:46 pm
Hey, I only partake in the best bc bud, but...
this is a true story. I wasn't the only one there.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:50 pm
I believe you, Ceili. I was just trying to trip you up and see if you smoked pot.

Sorry I had to be so tricky.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:55 pm
All is forgiven, I been accused of sounding trippy brfore, so I'm a little sensitive. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:57 pm
I DO NOT smoke pot . . .

. . . course, if my man comes through on Wednesday, i'll be able to take that back . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:00 pm
ok
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:01 pm
It's complete bull that Canada geese are only aggressive when protecting their young. I've been to Center Island, I know. Also, from what I know, swan is incredibly oily, more so than goose.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:05 pm
There was once a clever opening paragraph in one of our local papers in an article re geese that have taken up permanent residence in local parks:

"For geese that call Seattle home, migration is for the birds. Other birds."
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:05 pm
Cav, I just read an article - can't remember where. It said when cooking with butter, goose and/or duck fat makes a way better ingredient/replacement, apparently even in pastry. Any comment?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:09 pm
One day when I first moved to Humboldt County I stopped by the alpacas on Hookton Road, for a little happy time visit. See, there is this couple that raises them, many of them, and I looooooove looking at them move around in a slow galumph. Well, this particular day it was very noisy there, since the normally fairly quiet Humboldt Nature Reserve next door to the alpaca ranchette was heavily occupied and flown over by what seemed to be a hundred thousand geese on a trip - a trip south, I believe it was.

On more of a micro level, I met a goose on a walk through the Venice canals (California, that is). It wouldn't let me by the canalside walkway. Kept trying to bite my knees. I was cracking up laughing. I didn't want to hit it. I ran around the guard goose, only to find a bunch of children a block away pointing and laughing at me... the woman the goose stopped. Very cute.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:06 pm
Alpaca ranchettes and walking on canals - odd woman...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 07:08 pm
Odd, yes.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/28/2024 at 09:57:20