It's A2K's Mardi Gras time. What costume will you wear?

JPB

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 12:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Will you go to Louisiana for Mardi Gras? No.

What costume will you wear? I have a number of MG items that I'll cobble together into a costume (mask, beads, hat)

Will you go to parties? Yes, we've already begun and have local events daily except Sunday

Will you watch a parade? I usually watch the live feeds from New Orleans online

Which countries' parades do you enjoy the most? I'm not familiar with those outside New Orleans
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 07:44 pm
Lundi Gras had the best weather/It was warm but rainy. The only thing were the tornado warnings every other day.

Tried to fo9nd some Newcomb and Ohr pottery but the **** we found was repaired and refired. (Easy to spot with a UV light).
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:17 pm
Two pasties and a hubcap.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:29 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Will you go to Louisiana for Mardi Gras? No.
What costume will you wear? No chance.
Will you go to parties? I have, but not in Louisiana.
Will you watch a parade? Maybe. I'm not a huge parade fan but have liked a few of them.
Which countries' parades do you enjoy the most? I have no basis for judgement.

I have turned out to be not all that interested in parades or, their opposite, revolutionary gatherings, although they sometimes are the same thing. Not that I am against revolution, but I seem to be not so charmed by drama. Probably that is some circumspection from my early life.

On Rio, naturally I loved the movie, Black Orpheus. I've no idea if I would love it as a Brazilian.
I spent a wonderful evening near to dawn dancing the meringue et al at a Guadalajara extravaganza. I just looked up the spanish word for festa, parte.
I suppose it was.

I'm moderately sick of halloween too, have been for a long time.

On the other hand, I'm hypocritical in that I've interest in the age old festivities and jousts and races in Italy. Maybe I can be that way at a distance, though it's true that much of my interest is in the life happening in piazzas, and by extension, in world plazas, and not in extreme research into the nature of every procession or joust.

George, New Orleans sounds much to me like Siena. Which makes me wonder about my own takes. I figure it means if I lived in italy I'd probably get less enthused. But I had a reason for being enthused, as contradas represent neighborhoods, and fighting in a horse race has some value in contrast to straight out killing.

Prelenten festivities are not the same as a horse race far away, but I see the panoply of letting go as similar.

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Everybody returens to places theyve enjoyed in their salad days. We lived in NAwlins so we are drawn back there. This was the firstLundi gras and MArdi gras we have been to in over 5 years (we were there 2 years before KAtrina)

All of the CAtholicBachanaals are semi gay homoerotic freak shows. ITs getting a bit more refined and techy. SCreens available and lotsa other MArdis bras in other towns up and down the coast.

We go for the food and the city.

We went out past the NewcombCollege campus and sib=nce the "Crescent City" is well named, we "met up wif ourselves " You have to keep making sharp right turns going out of town otherwise you can wind up back where you started.

Towns around the lake like Metarie are still pretty devasteted but there are signs of rebirth especially since the new pumps have been installed(I hadda go see them in action,)
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 12:36 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Mardi Gras has been depicted by artists and in Hollywood (USA) movies. It's become a word for American comfort food.

I will take an electric car to Mardi Gras. An electric car is an eco-friendly car that runs on electric power which conserves the need for gasoline and reduces dependence on fossil fuels. American celebrities such as George Clooney have endorsed the eco-friendly electric car in the press.

Besides, the electric car at Mardi Gras will remind people (again) of the spiritual value of environment-themed Rebuild New Orleans shades.
0 Replies