What can I do to attract a lot of followers?

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 03:18 am
I have one guy whom I'm buddies with who is a follower-we have been helping each other out. What can I do to attract more followers?

I know I came across as being a bit gruff or abrasive-and it seems like some people here were trying to incite me to go off-I'm not going to feed into people's nonsense-I don't have to. I apologize to the community for coming off as turnoffish, and I apologize if I did or said something that offended anyone here-that was not my intention.

The Bible says to show yourself to be friendly. That's an area I'm working on-I don't have too many friends in real life.

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 04:23 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
What can I do to attract more followers?
Try wearing your hair down...it worked for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 05:36 am
There is only one way I can think of. Make posts people enjoy reading. Hang in there until readers begin to want more. One more thing. Don't post poetry, even for a joke, on non poetry threads.
engineer

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 09:14 am
@JGoldman10,
"Followers" are more a badge of honor than indication that you have groupies. If you want people to award you that honor, you have to have to have longevity and add value. If you routinely post things that entertain people (in a positive way) or make them think about something differently, they might follow you.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 09:41 am
@JGoldman10,
Why do you want to attract followers?

Having followers is not the same as making friends, if that is what you want to do.

If you are interested in making friends, you might send a person a PM with a comment about a post they made, or something you might not want to say to them or ask them in a thread. This might help you to get to know people who share similar interests.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:37 am
You already have followers. They have even created threads all about you.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 02:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
One thing you could do is create topics with a broader subject matter.

For instance, rather than creating 30 topics asking specifically about every language of the world or each variation of skin tone a race of people might have, you could create one general topic called "Languages of Europe (Asia, the Americas, Africa, etc.) - Translations Needed" and then list the various languages you are interested in getting help with. That will attract lots of people to your topic at least once to see if they can help with a specific translation.

Make use of existing topics. Use the tag search to see if there are already topics that contain your subject matter and add on to them if applicable. Doing that automatically creates a common bond between you and the members who were already posting on that subject. Make use of those threads to enhance connections with others rather than making threads asking if there are any (fill in the blank) here before asking your question.

When you ask people to respond to your questions and requests for help, express a bit of appreciation for responses rather than using them for a defensive batting practice. Not everyone is going to have a positive response for you. Don't let it ruin your day.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
That's not what I meant and I don't want them doing that. I don't want THAT kind of fan following.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Don't post poetry, even for a joke, on non poetry threads.

That's a little harsh, no?

wayne

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 08:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
Dont expect instant gratification in life, if you are ever going to get any followers it's going to take some time. Try paying a little more attention to what others are saying, and spend a little less time thinking about yourself.
Seek to understand rather than be understood.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 09:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Believe me, I know whereof I speak.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 01:51 am
In all seriousness, I've been using the 'Net since '95 and have been posting in web forums and message boards for years. Why is it on a large number of forums/web forums I've been on I inspire such a cult following? Why do people find me so fascinating? DO I seem THAT weird, odd, eccentric or peculiar to people? Do I come across as being somewhat Kaufmanesque? IS it my personality, or is it the way I think? I'm a Born-Again Christian-I don't believe in compromising my beliefs with anyone. Is it my boldness/outspokenness? I don't mind attention but not to the point people DEDICATE threads to me. On one site some people wanted to set up a FAN CLUB for me.

I think I'm getting TOO OLD for such attention.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 01:53 am
@Butrflynet,
I will make sure I'm more polite and courteous towards others. I'm going to make sure I do what I'm supposed to do. If others want to be rude or unseemly that's their problem.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 01:57 am
@JGoldman10,
Some people have asked me why do I act the way I do online- I have to watch people and my behaviour.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 06:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
If others want to be rude or unseemly that's their problem.
Good luck with that....
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 06:29 pm
@Ionus,
Good luck with what? I get away from people like that.
Ionus

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 06:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
Good luck with turning the other cheek. I am familiar with the principle but have never seen it work .
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 06:52 pm
@Ionus,
When people flare up here-I put them on ignore and/or report their posts. They WANT me to respond to their negativity and feed into their nonsense. I don't have to-I'm getting TOO OLD for that.
wmwcjr

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 05:20 pm
@JGoldman10,
How old are you?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 05:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
I have one guy whom I'm buddies with who is a follower-we have been helping each other out.
What can I do to attract more followers?
Throw a lot of $$$$$ around; the more, the better.

Gold coins can work well too. Good Luck!

David
0 Replies