Something You Won't See

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:47 pm
Here are the details. As per usual everyone's aid is relatively meager.

Quote:
Summary of Aid Offered to Iran Quake Victims

LONDON (Dec. 30) - Up to 50,000 people may have died in Friday's Iranian earthquake, officials told Reuters on Tuesday, as relief workers pleaded for more aid for survivors of one of the deadliest natural disasters of modern times.

Following are details of aid offered by countries and international organizations:

AUSTRALIA -- Pledged $1.5 million.

AUSTRIA -- Sent 120 army rescue workers with 19 rescue dogs, equipment including water purification machines.

BELGIUM -- Sent plane with vehicles, water, blankets, food.

BRITAIN -- Sending two planes with shelter equipment for 560 families; pledged $266,100 to the Red Cross.

BULGARIA -- Sent 23 firefighters with tents, blankets, water and first aid medical supplies worth $27,500.

CANADA -- Gave $750,000 to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies for emergency services. Flew Iranian Red Crescent Society supplies including blankets, water equipment, generators and emergency shelters to Bam.

CROATIA -- Sending a transport plane on Wednesday with 15 tonnes of baby food and medical supplies.

CZECH REPUBLIC -- To earmark up to $800,000 to help repair buildings and infrastructure. Sent 18 rescue workers and four tonnes of humanitarian aid. Also sent tents, water-treatment pills, medicine and medical equipment worth $270,000.

DENMARK -- Sent a 57-strong search team with rescue dogs and electronic equipment. Gave the Danish Red Cross $293,900 for blankets, medical and survival equipment.

EGYPT -- Sent four planeloads of relief supplies.

EUROPEAN COMMISSION -- Freed up $2.9 million in immediate humanitarian aid to fund search and rescue teams, medical care, water, and heating, among other things.

FINLAND -- Sent 23 doctors, nurses and technicians. Gave the Finnish Red Cross one million euros to send a field hospital.

FRANCE -- Sent a field hospital able to accommodate up to 150 people. Chartered a plane to take medicine and food donated by aid organisations Fondation Carrefour and Secours Islamique.

Two more planes, chartered by Medecins du Monde and the French Red Cross, are to fly to Iran on Tuesday and Wednesday.

GERMANY -- Sent 33 metric tons of emergency supplies. Gave around 800,000 euros in emergency relief, sent teams with sniffer dogs, water purification equipment, medicine and clothing. Gave the Red Cross 90,000 euros to fly two mobile field hospitals to provide first aid, immunisation and midwife services. At least 70 German aid agency workers are on the ground.

GREECE -- Sent 250,000 euros in emergency aid and two C-130 planes with 21-strong emergency team and medical supplies.

Charity Greek Doctors of the World sent three members along with medical supplies, 4,000 blankets and 100 tents.

GULF COOPERATION COUNCIL -- Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and the United Arab Emirates pledged $400 million.

HUNGARY -- Pledged $100,000. Ecumenical Aid Organisation sent 1,000 blankets and a seven-member special rescue team.

INDIA -- Sending tents and blankets.

ISRAEL -- Offered aid but Iranian President Mohammad Khatami said help was welcome from everywhere except Israel. Several Israeli humanitarian groups said they helped to get aid to Iran through international agencies.

ITALY -- Sent sniffer dogs, fire brigade and search teams.

JAPAN -- Sent an emergency rescue team and two C-130 transport planes with 40 personnel and relief supplies including tents and blankets. Plans to send relief goods worth $233,700 and provide another 83 million yen to buy food. Foreign Minister Yoriko Kawaguchi will visit Iran on January 6.

The city of Kobe, devastated by an earthquake that killed more than 6,000 people in 1995, said it would send about 200 blankets and medical supplies for about 50,000 victims.

JORDAN -- Sent four planes, with a field hospital, blankets, tents and food.

LEBANON -- Sent a plane with 25 metric tons of aid including tents, clothes, stretchers and health supplies.

MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES -- Sent 10 metric tons tons of materials; teams of doctors from France, Belgium and Spain; medical materials from Tehran and Baghdad; 26,000 blankets from Dubai.

MOROCCO -- Sent three planes with drugs, blankets and tents; a medical unit with equipment and 20 surgeons and traumatologists; and a civil protection rescue team.

NETHERLANDS -- Gave 500,000 euros to the Red Cross to fund a plane loaded with blankets, tents and water tanks and to buy medicines and tablets to purify water.

NORWAY -- Sent a C-130 plane with nine dogs and 29 aid workers to search for victims.

POLAND -- Sent 28 firefighters, three doctors, 7,000 metric tons of blankets, tents, sleeping bags, clothes and first aid kits. Individual donors gave Charity Caritas Polska $250,000 for Iran.

RED CROSS AND RED CRESCENT -- Appealed for $12.34 million. Deployed six mobile hospitals, with 32 doctors, 182 nurses and 40 ambulances. Distributing 90,000 tents; 153,000 blankets; 56,000 pieces of clothing; 30,000 floor mats; over 7,000 bottles of mineral water; 103,000 boxes of washing detergent; 6,900 boxes of hygiene items.

ROMANIA -- Sent C-130 plane carrying eight metric tons of blankets, syringes and other medical supplies worth a combined $50,000.

RUSSIA -- Sent 100 rescue experts, 10 doctors, sniffer dogs.

SOUTH AFRICA -- Sent a team of rescue experts, Health Ministry officials, medical and police services, four sniffer dogs and their handlers.

SPAIN -- Sending water purification equipment, medicine and material for field hospitals.

SYRIA -- Sent a team of surgeons and about 40 tonnes of medicine, water and baby food and an aircraft load of blankets and other humanitarian aid.

TURKEY -- Sent eight containers of prefabricated houses.

The Turkish Red Crescent sent two cargo planes with food, medicine, body bags and blankets worth $89,000 and six trucks with tents, blankets, body bags, cooking equipment, food, medicine and 14 generators with a total value of $341,000.

UKRAINE -- Sent about 80 rescuers and a plane with a field hospital and 20 tonnes of cargo, including survival kits, water, food and medicines.

UNITED NATIONS -- Sent disaster assessment and aid teams and released an immediate emergency grant of $90,000 for planning and coordination. Its other contributions include:

-- U.N. children's agency UNICEF sent two cargo flights carrying 40 tonnes of supplies worth $285,000, including medicines and medical equipment, tents and children's blankets.

-- U.N. refugee agency UNHCR donated about 1,000 tents, 10,000 blankets and 3,000 mattresses, valued at $140,000.

-- U.N. Development Program donated $100,000 to support national relief and coordination efforts.

-- World Food Programme sent 40 metric tons of high-energy biscuits to feed survivors. Eventually, 144 tonnes will be shipped in, intended to feed 120,000 people for 12 days, and diverted from supplies already en route to Afghanistan.

-- U.N. Population Fund will give $50,000 for medical items.

-- World Health Organisation providing medical supplies.

UNITED STATES -- Sent 84-strong team, two planes with sheeting and blankets; seven planes with of 68 metric tons of medical supplies, 2,000 blankets, 1,000 cases of water and a forklift truck. Charity World Vision is sending $250,000 of supplies such as plastic sheeting and water purification pills.

12/30/03 14:19 ET
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:50 pm
Sofia wrote:
I shall make a statement I hope I can back up with links and sources upon my return:

"Bush's hard line approach toward Iran, and "object lesson" of Iraq has caused changes in Iran, favorable toward previous US hopes for stability in that country." ....making them "less evil"...

I shall return with my case.

Heh ... that'll be fun. You're already pushing some 'hot buttons' for me ...

... i.e., you may remember how passionately indignant I've been about Reaganites who claim the 1989 revolts were largely - or even just primarily - thanks to Reagan's moves ... deftly forgetting (or possibly, mostly ignorant of) both the reform dynamic within the communist parties and the insurgent grassroots protests of the East-European citizenry itself.

I, for one - and consider this the preview of the counter-case I would bring on Iran if I'll find the time - consider Reagan to have played a role, but a secondary role. His outspending the Soviets put the communist system under an increasing tension that would have necessitated some Soviet leader to think again at some point in time - but it was still just one extra element in an already volatile mix; were it not for independently motivated civic protesters and communist reformers, it might as well all have lasted another ten or fifteen years.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
By ways of two opening shots:

- whereas the Soviet system was demonstrably burdened by Reagan's policies (just look at its then-defence budgets!), America's "hard line" on Iran has had no comparable impact concerning Iran's economy in the past decade (think 5% growth rates).

- Meanwhile, Irans process of democratisation (and the popular protests that fueled it), have shown a consistent trend over the past decade. Rafsanjani's cautious reforms and escalating student protests in the street heralded in the free election of reformer President Khatami - back in 1997. Ergo, the "changes in Iran" have been steadily developing since way before Bush even entered the stage.

(Thats why Iran's inclusion in the "Axis of Evil" was so inane - as if this was N-Korea or the Taliban's Afghanistan we were talking about. The "changes in Iran" (and those making them, on the street and in office) need empowerment, not isolation - and it took the Bush admin a bloody long enough time to catch up with that as it is, already!)

<grins>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:58 pm
Powell is characterizing this as a thaw, and saying Iran has changed. But IMO it has more to do with the fact that the "axis of evil" was a gaffe and he is trying for a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote:
Iran Says U.S. Aid Won't Help Relations
By MATTHEW PENNINGTON, AP

BAM, Iran (Dec. 31) - As survivors of Iran's earthquake scavenged for clothes and jostled for handouts Tuesday, President Mohammad Khatami thanked the United States for aid but played down talk that Washington's contribution would thaw frosty relations.

"Humanitarian issues should not be intertwined with deep and chronic political problems," Khatami said. "If we see change both in tone and behavior of the U.S. administration, then a new situation will develop in our relations."

Khatami's remarks came after Secretary of State Colin Powell said he sees a "new attitude" in Iran that could lead to a restoration of ties between the United States and the Islamic republic that President Bush has called part of an "axis of evil."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:03 pm
"Bush's hard line approach toward Iran, and "object lesson" of Iraq has caused changes in Iran, favorable toward previous US hopes for stability in that country." ....making them "less evil"...

I guess if the US had nuked Iraq they would now be good enough to get into heaven?

I didn't know threatening folk made them less evil....
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:29 pm
Bush has put the country up a tree, Powell is looking for a face saving way to get us down.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 04:54 pm
Well, if the administration IS trying to come down from the ridiculous and dangerous "axis of evil" rhetoric then I applaud them.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 05:26 pm
dlowan wrote:

I guess if the US had nuked Iraq they would now be good enough to get into heaven? I don't know where you got this.

I didn't know threatening folk made them less evil....

Really? Threatening an uncomfortable response to bad behavior has tended to cause some to behave differently. Its definitely not the best way to accomplish change (wars and embargos and other negative stimuli), and it is problematic--but it does tend to work on more than a few occasions. Bush should have said their behavior is evil. Thus, it would be easier to explain that Iran's behavior seems to many to be less evil now.

nimh-- I don't have the time to weigh in tonight. I do set this aside as a good thing to do in the near future, when time allows. It should be fun, and educational, and good for cardio. Smile
0 Replies