Something You Won't See

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 11:29 am
Dear President Khatami:

I wish to extend my condolences and sympathy to you and your country in lieu of this tragic and devastating earthquake.

Although we have many differences ideologically and politically, a tragedy of this magnitude involving innocent people and threatening the health of so many requires participation and cooperation on a human level and therefore I suggest we set aside all quarrels for the time being.

We have bases of operations, manpower and resources in Iraq at this current time and would like to offer any assistance we can to your country and your people.

Sincerely,

George W. Bush

yeah, right. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,675 • Replies: 67
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 12:39 pm
I was thinking along the same lines when I heard of this. Good thought anyways BPB.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 12:52 pm
it would be a tremendous opportunity for Bush to put his best foot forward and show some of that compassionate conservatism.

Only problem is Bush doesn't have a best foot and compassionate conservatism, as it applies to Bush Inc., is an oxymoron. Emphasis on moron. IMO.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 12:56 pm
I agree totally.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 12:56 pm
Wow!

Like Acquiunk -- and apparently you -- the very first thought that came though my mind was:

Why don't we put aside any problems we have with these folks and offer as much assistance as possible.

But I think you are correct, Bear.

I don think we will see it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 02:06 pm
Exactly........but no votes and no $ in it, it ain't gonna happen.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 09:05 pm
Bush had to say something. He's just going through the motions, it doesn't mean that it's true.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:14 pm
There is none so blind,...as he who will not see...

It happened. Let's hear it for the Compassionate Conservative, who put aside 1979 hostages, et al and sent assistance to those who made themselves our enemies...

(Listening...)

After all, most of you said how great it would be..

Don't you think more of Bush now?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:28 pm
He did the right thing....you don't get a medal for that...I will allow that I'm pleasantly surprised he offered any assistance....he's still the dick of the 20th and 21st Century......
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:29 pm
The benevolent, compassionate dick..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:33 pm
I don't get why you guys are surprised. I would have been surprised if the assistance hadn't been offered.

Disasters relief is a lot less political than both sides here seem to think.

And I don't think it reflects on Bush in any way.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:44 pm
Only one side was heard from.

I just wanted to see if they would admit they'd been wrong, or give him the credit as easily as they handed out the criticism...

I didn't think it was political. I thought it was basic human decency, and wanted to see if Bush would get credit for that, at least. Again, nothing on this thread has surprised me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:46 pm
Sofia wrote:
There is none so blind,...as he who will not see...

It happened. Let's hear it for the Compassionate Conservative, who put aside 1979 hostages, et al and sent assistance to those who made themselves our enemies...

(Listening...)

After all, most of you said how great it would be..

Don't you think more of Bush now?

Yes, I do think more of Bush now - though I consider such assistance pretty de rigeur from the richest nation on earth.

Also, Sofia - re "those who made themselves our enemies... " - your historical long view has cut off pretty short - you may or may not recall that it was the CIA that was key in replacing a duly elected Iranian leader, who was attempting to secure a greater share of his country's oil earnings for the people who were doing the work to produce it, with the puppet Shah (whose secret police and such killed and imprisoned a lot of people) - this sort of upset a lot of Iranians, and made them a wee tad cross with the US. Sort of helped cause the whole hostage thing, you know. They tend to consider the US hit first....
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 08:13 pm
We can almost always trace everything back to blame who we please. History seems to go back long time. All have been crappy at one time or another.

Iran fired the most recent shot.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 08:15 pm
We can almost always trace everything back to blame who we please. History seems to go back a long time. All have been crappy at one time or another.

Iran fired the most recent shot.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 09:21 pm
I would be an idiot not to post this link and admit that it looks like George is doing the right thing in this instance. I am quite frankly shocked and will look down the road to see if it was a real effort or some bullshit pr move, but for now I give him the benefit of the doubt and will gladly eat crow to see these people helped.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3818202/
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 10:29 pm
I was waxing rhapsodic at the thought of emergency crews racing to the aid of Iran--sharing brotherly love and forwarding peace--and then I thought--Oh, hell. Everyone will be jostling for control and spying on the other... I just hope we can get out of Iran without starting another war.

The Damn French are so bossy! :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 05:55 am
Bush did the right thing...and insofar as Bush is representing the United States...the United States did the right thing.

I congratulate Bush...and I congratulate us.

We will gain one hell of a lot more respect by sending help to those in need than by bombing the piss out of anybody...no matter how much they ask for it.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 10:38 am
agreed, frank.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 11:41 am
I was pleasantly surprised by this.
0 Replies