Hi-is skin color an appropriate subject matter here?

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:41 pm
I want to ask questions about race and skin color, but I want to know if that's an apporopriate subject matter? If not, I won't ask.

talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
Are you being racist? I notice you have a hang up on various minorities.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:47 pm
@talk72000,
No-I am an African-American. Why would I be racist? I want to ask a question about Asians and skin color. I am curiosu to know what terms are considered offensive, so I know NOT to use them.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:45 pm
@talk72000,
You must have me confused with someone else. I'm a BLACK MAN.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 01:44 am
Quote:

....SLC24A5 appears to have played a key role in the evolution of light skin in humans of European ancestry. The gene's function in pigmentation was discovered in zebrafish as a result of the positional cloning of the gene responsible for the "golden" variety of this common pet store fish.
In this work, cancer geneticist Keith Cheng used electron microscopy to characterize the cellular mechanism underlying the lighter color of golden zebrafish, and noted a striking similarity between the changes of melanocytes (pigment cells) in those lighter-skinned fish and lighter-skinned humans (in particular, Europeans). This led Cheng to ask his Pennsylvania State University colleague, anthropologist Mark D. Shriver, whether he had human DNA linked to skin color measurements. Shriver, who collaborates internationally to study the basis of variation in human skin color and other features in human populations, pointed to the then-new International HapMap Project database of genetic variation in human populations, and found that the gene has a single "coding" polymorphism - one that changes an amino acid. The two primary alleles differ in only one nucleotide, changing the 111th amino acid from alanine to threonine, abbreviated "A111T".[1][3][4]

The threonine allele was present in 98.7 to 100% among several European samples, while the alanine form was found in 93 to 100% of samples of Africans, East Asians and Indigenous Americans. The variation is a SNP polymorphism rs1426654, which had been previously shown to be second among 3011 tabulated SNPs ranked as ancestry-informative markers. Collaborator Victor Canfield plotted the human data to estimate that this single change in SLC24A5 explains between 25 and 38% of the difference in skin melanin index between peoples of West African vs. European Ancestry.

The discovery of this gene has interesting social implications because the "derived" European allele was derived by mutation from the ancestral gene sequence. As noted by Penn State's Victor Canfield, the ancestral alanine is conserved in all vertebrates sequenced to date, mutant only in the European allele, but only rarely in West African or East Asian (primarily Chinese, Japanese and Korean) populations (presumably by admixture). Furthermore, the European mutation is associated with the largest region of diminished genetic variation in the CEU HapMap population, suggesting the possibility that the A111T mutation may be the subject of the single largest degree of selection in human populations of European ancestry. Selection for the derived allele is based on the need for sunlight to produce the essential nutrient, vitamin D. In northerly latitudes, there is less sun, greater requirement for body coverage due to colder climate, and frequently, diets poor in vitamin D, making lighter skin necessary for survival. Tests for this variation has obvious application to forensic science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLC24A5

0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 02:04 am
@JGoldman10,
"No-I am an African-American. Why would I be racist?"

I'm curious.....you seem to be implying that being one automatically precludes you from being the other, right?

Why don't you just ask the question and tell us why you are asking that question, then sit back and see whether we think you should go out and purchase a petard and some hoisting gear.

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:11 am
@Old Goat,
I am curious about Asian skin color-I know not all Asians have yellow skin. I know some don't mind being called that and some might. I have seen some Asians with orangish skin- I want to know if it's offensive to say some Asians have orange skin? I want to ask an Asian person here that. I want to ask in the Asia forum.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:20 am
@Old Goat,
If i am not mistaken, once you have the petard, a match is the only hoising gear you need.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:25 am
The terms racism and racist are less than a century old. The association of skin color with "race" is somewhat older, but not by much. People such as our dear Pamela Rosa here are obsessed with skin color and "race." There is no such thing as race. All humans are fertile with all other humans, despite false categories such as "race." Additionally, there is more and more evidence that sexual isolation does not apply, either.

I suspect that any self-respecting person who is from, or whose ancestors were from Asia isn't much interested in matters pertaining to skin color. They might ignore you or simply hold you in contempt for asking. I doubt that you'll get an answer--although you might.

The point about your antecedants and racism is well-taken. It is an eminently reasonable proposition that Americans of African descent could be, as is the case with anyone else, racist.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:30 am
@Setanta,
I have a friend from China/Taiwan here- I'll ask him.
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:12 am
@JGoldman10,
Good idea, although, of course, it'll just be anecdotal evidence.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 03:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
you have to be cautious about how you approach it and who you speak to about it - but it's been a matter of interest in many cultures - do a google on skin bleaching and you'll definitely get hints

this was the first hit on

skin bleaching + culture

http://www.romow.com/culture-blog/asias-obsession-with-skin-whitening/

I've definitely heard it discussed among colleagues, but not invited into the discussion.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:56 am
@Setanta,
I only posted some scientific genetic reaserch about slc24a5 and WHAM.

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:48 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Consider my remarks an on-going tribute to your hateful racist attitudes. It wasn't just what you posted here, it's your obsessional hatred of "blacks" expressed over years at this site.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 09:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
........There is no such thing as race........

You can sent in your DNA to have it analyzed and they will determine your race by examination of your genetics.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/10/dnaprint?currentPage=all

Gargamel

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:40 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
So, Eva, let me ask you: was Adolf's corpse also reanimated, in the same experiment that brought you back to life?
Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 02:16 pm
I suspect, Garg, that that one blew right over the pointy little head of its target . . .
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:42 pm
@Gargamel,
Laughing *thunderous applause*
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:43 pm
@Setanta,
Again, Laughing *thunderous applause*
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 03:37 am
@wmwcjr,
If you're going to support Set I am going to stop talking to you.