Cell Dogs

Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 07:12 am
Animal Planet is premiering a new series this coming Monday. The title, "Cell Dogs." (I realize that this thread might belong in the TV forum, but I'm putting it here because I think that the folks who read this forum are more likely to be interested.)

The program was previewed this past Monday. It's about prison programs in which dogs are rescued from shelters, pounds, and possible euthanasia and are then brought to prisons for training and socializing by the prisoners.

The dogs are trained to be either service dogs or pets. These prison programs have been huge successes wherever they've been instituted. Successes for the dogs, which find homes, and for the prisoners, who learn a trade and, perhaps more importantly, learn to care and to be responsible.

In an interview, a warden of one facility said that since the dog training program had started, prison violence is down by 40 percent. Impressive.

The preview was interesting and moving. I recommend you watch if you can.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,371 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Montana

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 09:23 am
I think I saw that last year sometime. I think it's a good idea.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 10:53 am
We saw the preview. Very impressive.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 01:15 pm
Haven't heard of this before, but sounds like a good idea.

Right Roberta. I almost never look in on the Television or Movie discussions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 10:55 pm
Sounds like a great idea!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 11:47 pm
A couple of characters in OZ trained dogs, first time I'd heard of it. I think it'a great idea. It costs
so much to train a seeing eye dog. This may cut down on the cost.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 08:25 pm
I remember seeing a program on Frontline, perhaps a decade ago, about a prison for women in the U.S., where they trained dogs to work with people with seizure disorders. It really was phenomenal - the results for the prisoners, the dogs and the people who received the trained dogs.

Thanks for bringing this program up, Roberta. Definitely a must see for me!
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:08 pm
There's a similar program in some prisons using mustangs that are rounded up yearly by the LMB .. instead of being potentially slaughter bound the inmates do all the training from groundwork to saddle work ... the horses are later sold at auction and the the inmate receives a small percentage of whatever the horse they worked with is sold for.

Quite fantastic really.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 07:12 pm
Amazing really, what the love of, and for, an animal can do for a person.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 05:22 am
I've been watching this show. It breaks my heart and warms it at the same time. Has anyone else been watching?
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 05:31 pm
I have to go with majority vote on this one, great idea. Aside from drug dealers, these people are in the pen because they have do not a whole lot of regard for others, just themelves. They are takers of society, which is a poor mentality.

I think through training animals, the inmate can learn to be a more compassionate person. There is no intrinsic reward in being a taker. It makes you feel good about yourself to give. These inmates may have never experienced this emotion.

It's good for the dogs that would otherwise die at an animal shelter. It gives something back to society. It give the inmate opportunity to experience a feeling of self worth and reward of doing good. Animals are not judgemental, like people are. This give the inmate a nonthreatening way to challenge himself, learn patience, and caring about someone (even if it is a dog) other than themselves knowing that they not only saved a life, but gave that life a purpose of helping another.

It really is a shame our psychiatriac community is in the stone ages. I can't see anything but good coming from this. You have to consider, even a murder will probably get back into the community at some point in time. They are going to need a different perspective on life.
0 Replies

emptysky911

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 05:56 am
Cell Dogs, where have they gone?
I found this forum topic doing a search on Yahoo for Cell Dogs. I loved that show. But where has it gone? I have tried to search on Animal PLanet and they don't have it listed. Has anyone read any news about the shows return?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:38 am
Hi EmptySky, Welcome to a2k. Wish I had info for you, but I haven't heard, read, or seen a thing about the show. It just disappeared.
0 Replies

dj67blue

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:15 am
watched this programme for the first time on Discovery Animal Planet (UK) and thought it was brilliant. Why can't other prisons around the world try this instead of killing unwanted dogs. The dogs get a chance at another life and the prisoners have to work hard to get them ready for it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 04:01 pm
dj, Glad you got to see the show in the UK. I don't know why more prisons don't institute such programs. They seem to be win/win/win situations. The dogs benefit. The prisoners benefit. And the people who ultimately get the dogs benefit.

Enjoy the show while it's on. It disappeared here.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 04:12 pm
great show!
perhaps they'll do some new shows in the spring...
0 Replies