Any Shirtless Republicans About Tonight?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:29 am
Nah, it is this week on/week off schedule for the House that the Republicans have set for themselves. It gives their "members" way too much free time for getting into trouble.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:38 am
@Butrflynet,
Too subtle for moi..
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:06 am
@ossobuco,
I'm with you part way on this one. We hire people to do a job and if they can do that job to our satisfaction then what they do off the clock is not my business. If this guy used public funds to pursue his extracurricular activities, canning him is a no-brainer, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. On the other hand, if his activities hamper his ability to do his job, then his private activities are crossing over into the workplace and it seems like that will be the case here. If his ability to come in every morning and represent his constituents is harmed due to this case, then maybe he should step aside and let someone who can work on it full time step in.
JPB

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:57 am
@engineer,
He wasn't canned.

He chose to resign.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 08:16 am
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZTInxdsRKgc/TS58AAD-AjI/AAAAAAAACmE/Jgp3CnIwNew/s1600/Conan+The+Barbarian.jpeg
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 08:18 am
@joefromchicago,
... my salad days ... <sigh>
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:51 am
@Ticomaya,
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/images/2008/12/23/shirtlessarnold.jpg
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:42 am
@joefromchicago,
I should not have looked at that while eating. Thanks so much Joe.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Please don't post any images online. Thank you.
The shirtless ones are uncommon... The brainless one are a dime a dozen...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:59 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

The odd thing is, this is not such a horrid transgression as human behavior goes.
Just odd in the face of moralous (like my new word?) righteousness, and political needs. I've no idea if Representative Lee came across as righteous in real life, thus a hypocrite, not sure I care.

Re his family, there is a rub, but it's their business.
I think quitting over this stuff is dumb to the nth unless his whole mode was for putting morality into government.
What good is his oath to those who elected him, and to the people of this nation if his oath is worthless to his own wife??? She has given him intimacy, or at least the republican version of initmacy, and children who may be the republican version of children; but what have the people done for him other than vote for him besides giving him a job with good money, perks, and power without responsibility??? You see, that simple moral forms like honor and patriotism stand behind our government as a social form, but the moral form is flawed, corrupt, and put on... Not one of those bastards are elected that does not swear to abide by the constitution that does not as soon try to get around its purpose...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:13 pm
@engineer,
A person as stupid as Lee is vulnerable to espionage attempts and blackmail, and would not pass muster in a security check for a high-level committee assignment.

engineer

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Maybe, but that didn't stop a long list of congressmen and senators from making it anyway. I did see where Sen. Ensign is not running for re-election, but Vitter is still going strong and Giuliani ran for President. Larry Craig is a walking target for blackmail. It doesn't seem like extra-marital affairs prevent you from getting a security clearance.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 01:26 pm
@engineer,
there's prolly a weenie factor in there somewhere...

this guy has weenie written on his forehead in all caps.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 02:23 pm
Quote:
During his weekly press conference, House Speaker John Boehner made his first public comments on the abrupt resignation of Rep. Chris Lee (R-NY) following reports about inappropriate texting and photos.

"Congressman Lee made his own decision that he thought was in his best interest and the interest of his family," Boehner said. "I think he made the right decision for himself and his family," he added.

The House leadership has promised "zero tolerance policy" for ethical problems, and they've generally been quick to act when allegations arise. For example, when Rep. Mark Souder admitted last spring that he had an affair with a staffer, he was quickly forced to resign.

Today, Boehner said "I believe that members of Congress should be held to the highest ethical standard. That's what the American people expect."

Boehner "refused to say whether he spoke to Lee or urged him to resign" yesterday, according to the AP. But he added: "My conversations with members are private, and they will remain that way." Source
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 02:28 pm
@JPB,
I wonder if this means he will no longer be handing out checks from lobbyists while on the floor of the House.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 02:48 pm
I think:
1) this is one of those things that male idiots do just before Valentine's Day in order to avoid having to buy $120.00 roses.
or
2) this is the way this guy and his wife get hot for Valentine's Day.

Joe(I'm conflicted)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:28 pm
@engineer,
Catching up, I agree with you on that "then maybe he should step aside" bit; also maybe not - I'm more acquiescent on this guy since he appears an idiot.

I decided earlier today to add a link to a tangentially related article of interest to me as background, and but had misremembered that Boehner was mentioned in the article, so I didn't. At least he didn't show up in it when I scanned quickly, but that's a hit and miss process.

Still, I'm going to post the link now since I found it fascinating, and culturally relevant.

Sep 13, 2010
THE POLITICAL SCENE
Frat House for Jesus

The political scene about the C Street house and the Fellowship. One midwinter night in 2008, several congressional colleagues of Senator John Ensign, of Nevada, entered his bedroom at the C Street house and conducted an intervention. Several weeks earlier, Senator Tom Coburn, another C Street member, had learned that…
by Peter J. Boyer

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/09/13/100913fa_fact_boyer
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

A person as stupid as Lee is vulnerable to espionage attempts and blackmail, and would not pass muster in a security check for a high-level committee assignment.

Anyone who thinks they can do some good through the old failed form of our government when so far it has only brought us to the door of absolute ruin is an effin idiot, and a fence post has got better sense... If you are worried about our security worry about your money, because when the rich and the government have all that is worth having, their freedom will by your insecurity...

What do you think this whole sham of a government is about??? Not one of the stated goals has been reached, and where they have come the closest, defense, they have left us open to attack, and stumbled into war unprepared as often as they have made enemies of people who have proved fair friends... So why could they not have always been friends except for our own stupidity making them enemies... We could have done better with the Germans, and Russians, and the Japanese... We could do better with the Muslims...We let the narrow self interests of a few destroy our peace and rob us of our wealth at every turn... This is not just a failure of morals... Bad morals made a bad government to begin with, and the bad government has made morals worse throughout the land... It is insanity to let these idiot have any control in our lives...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:50 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/images/2008/12/23/shirtlessarnold.jpg
Get a picture of his back... I have heard he has had two kidney transplants because of the damage of steroids... At least I am not growing old alone... Give me a kiss Arnold... We can hold hands into the great beyond...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 08:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
From "tossed salad days"
0 Replies