Any Shirtless Republicans About Tonight?

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 08:32 pm
Please don't post any images online. Thank you.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:09 pm
Representative Christopher Lee of New York, caught in a scandal involving a shirtless photo of himself that he reportedly e-mailed to a woman, abruptly resigned on Wednesday night.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:16 pm
The odd thing is, this is not such a horrid transgression as human behavior goes.
Just odd in the face of moralous (like my new word?) righteousness, and political needs. I've no idea if Representative Lee came across as righteous in real life, thus a hypocrite, not sure I care.

Re his family, there is a rub, but it's their business.
I think quitting over this stuff is dumb to the nth unless his whole mode was for putting morality into government.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:23 pm
@ossobuco,
THe attention hungry media would have likely had a field day. I think I would have quit also.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think there is more dirt there that could be dug...

not that I'm wishing for it.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:25 pm
@Rockhead,
You possibly are right. What business has a married man doing that anyway?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
what are the odds that this was his first adventure...?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:27 pm
@Rockhead,
I know. Where there's smoke -
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:27 pm
another thread, by maxdancona, this one re the woman -
http://able2know.org/reply/topic-167695
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:31 pm
@ossobuco,
The woman is no rosebud, I will wager.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:32 pm
So, now we'll be electing from the priesthood..

oh, wait.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 09:42 pm
I still remember and might like to reread a book my father passed to me - I might have been 18 or 19 - Advise and Consent by Allen Drury. I think that's the first time I had even an inkling homosexuality existed. (I was a slow one.) Stunning book to me at the time, not only for that, which was only a subplot. Interesting in the main as a reflection of much going on in the fifties, that I somewhat know about personally.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 10:05 pm
I think our puritanism is getting in the way of good government. I think it is farcical, but standing tall.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 10:08 pm
@ossobuco,
you are forgetting that god is a member of the GOP...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 10:12 pm
@Rockhead,
Hard for me to forget (that could be a song).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 10:19 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I think quitting over this stuff is dumb to the nth unless his whole mode was for putting morality into government.

From the NYT link on the other thread:
In Congress, Mr. Lee had a reputation as a social conservative, opposing, for example, a recent measure signed into law that allowed gays to serve openly in the military.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 10:24 pm
@JPB,
Aha, a moral perplexity, aka hypocrisy, or maybe not; maybe gays are evil and fine chested men finding women are fine.

Still, the way we have shifted to all this on everybody is bizarre to me. A gotcha game, while statecraft withers. I didn't like maneuvers on Clinton either.

Given his take, as you clue me in, it's hard for me to argue for him. I'll work on it, not for him, but the idea that this isn't what our government is about. What a putz!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:46 pm
I have no problem with him being disloyal to his marriage. That's between he and his family.

My problems with the incident are:

1. His judgment in using Craigslist classified ads as a dating service.

2. His judgment in not using a suitable pseudonym to better disguise his identity.

3. His judgment (if he did use a pseudonym) in sending an easily identifiable photo of himself, a public figure, to an anonymous person on Craigslist.

4. His judgment in using his real name, identifying himself as a divorced lobbyist and then sending a photo of himself to the woman after having his two-term election material and photos plastered all over the internet.

5. His judgment in doing all this after having written an op-ed in 2009 warning teens of the dangers of the internet in which the first two paragraphs of it read:

Quote:
Through the Internet, with a few keystrokes and the click of a button, a young person can call up information for a research project, make new friends or discover new hobbies.

At the same time, responding to what may seem like a friendly e-mail or an appealing marketing offer can have serious consequences. Private information and images can so easily be transmitted to friends and strangers alike.

It is a case of career suicide by internet email.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Then again, maybe this is just a moment of valor and he used himself to demonstrate the dangers of the internet for teens. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:00 am
I read some stuff on bush I, probably in wapo, as I remember, as I subscribed for a while.. re other than babs.

This is irrelevant.

The country has seemed to go crazy for iced values, pure candicies are us, thus the potential for exposure.