Best Superbowl ad

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 06:58 am
IMO - the Eminen Detroit-stroking ad for Chrysler was classy, but was it the BEST?

I liked the one with the little kid dressed up like Darth Vadar, but wish the dad would not have started up the car with the kid FACING the car's front. That was unsettling to me. The kid could have been facing the side of the car.

The Dorito ad was too obvious.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,834 • Replies: 21
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 07:13 am
@PUNKEY,
I was disappointed.

They were mostly (but not all, sorry Howard, you tried) captioned. So that was good.

But the commercials themselves were eh. And Eminem was in two, and they were both kind of sell-outy, and made me think more "wow, Eminem's done huh?" than "awesome product!!"

I think I probably laughed most at ones I've already seen (the one with the carpoolers and one guy gets the dumb video before the others, and the Rango trailer).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 07:37 am
I thought the Bridgestone ad (replied to "all") was the best one.
sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 07:48 am
@Ticomaya,
Oh that was pretty good, yeah. Forgot about that one.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:02 am
@Ticomaya,
Yes, the Bridgestone ad was really outstanding ... until I had to explain it to my wife. The Camaro "Miss Evelyn" commercial was pretty good too. Here's all the ads for this year along with reviews: http://www.superbowl-commercials.org/
sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:04 am
@engineer,
Oh and the GoDaddy Joan Rivers one was pretty funny. (I was ready to be Offended.) (The other GoDaddy one looked lame but hopefully it had some sort of twist, too, if you went to the webpage -- I didn't.)
sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:12 am
@sozobe,
Richard Beltzer (sp?) / Roseanne Barr ad wasn't bad either.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:12 am
@sozobe,
Athough I'm not sure it counts, I liked the NFL one with classic TV shows edited to put team logo in. The Dukes of Hazard "General Lee" flying a Falcons flag? Marcia getting hit in the nose while wearing a team jersey? Fonzie hitting a large LCD flat panel to get it to work? Loved it. Of course, I am probably showing my age since many in the 18-34 demographic would have problems with the Sienfeld references.
sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:14 am
@engineer,
Seinfeld's in reruns though, I bet most of 'em get it.

OK, they were evidently forgettable but there were more good ads than I thought originally. That wasn't bad either.

Oh and I was wrong, not Richard Belzer (he's the Law and Order dude), Richard Lewis.
sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:19 am
@sozobe,
The Timothy Hutton/ Tibet one was stupid. In a bad way.

(Sorry for all the posts, Super Bowl ads aren't usually captioned and I can't usually participate in this conversation!)
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:22 am
I didn't watch all of them, but the VW one was cute. Also liked the Chevy one with the truck as Lassie. Nice of Fox to give us a little football with their commercials, though.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:23 am
Oh, and the Xoom one. Mr.Irish said he thinks that was a rip on an old Apple commercial played in past Super Bowls.
sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:24 am
@Irishk,
Oh definitely. The person was reading 1984 at the beginning, and those iPod earbuds...
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:31 am
I also liked the ad for Fox where House threw his cane at the kid, a parody of the Mean Joe Green ad from the 70's.
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:32 am
@PUNKEY,
There were several Dorito ads. I did like the bringing grandfather back to life dorito ad - it did catch me off guard, but then I was doing stuff while watching. Missed alot of the ads as I didn 't watch the whole game.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 11:35 am
@sozobe,
Ah! I missed some of that Xoom one (was defending why I used light Mayo in one of the dips...bought it by mistake lol)!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 01:30 pm
@Irishk,
Wow, I missed both the truck as Lassie and the Xoom commercial. The Xoom commercial is a GREAT take on the old Apple commercial (generally considered to the be the best SB commercial of all time), very subtle. I love the end of the Lassie one ("I didn't even know this town HAD a volcano!")
Irishk

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:30 pm
@engineer,
I just watched the Xoom one again and have to say, after being on the fence on whether or not to port their Honeycomb OS to my eReader, I'm going to go ahead and do it.

The Coke commercial didn't make me thirsty for Coke, though, much as I liked that fire-breathing dragon. It was cute, but nothing will beat their Mean Joe Greene ad (thanks, Ticomaya, for reminding us of that one!)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:31 pm
@engineer,
Yeah - I did see that one - thought it a bit clever.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:25 pm
I did like the coke ad where the wife/girlfriend whipped the can at her hubby/boyfriend and whacked the prettty girl at the next bench. Anything violent is great.
0 Replies