Happiness in relation to the 'committee meeting' model of 'self'

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 01:41 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
My only problem with your posts so far is their lack of clarity (precision?).
existential potential

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 03:39 pm
@fresco,
I think its true to say that we can "transcend" the everyday self or "normal-self", and become aware that who we take ourseleves to be is in fact nothing more than a product social interaction, and "who we are" is very much dependent on context, or is not independent of social interaction.

What happens to identity at that point?

Is there a "freedom" that is attained from this realisation?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 03:58 pm
@JLNobody,
Its quite remarkable that you feel free to speak in precision...
I guess you have a problem in getting my posts, that much is true...
Now can you address my previous remarks ? or are you lost in translation ?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:46 am
@existential potential,
"Identity" is indeed problematic ! Generally it involves "group allegiance", but the group tends to become"the whole" from the transcendental perspective.

Since the OP was specifically referenced to Gurdjieff concepts, we might start with his answer, which would be that "the sleeping self" (the norm) has no fixed identity. Such an assumption is an illusion of the sleep-walker. The Gurdjieff position is that the "higher self" is the only one with a chance of claiming "an identity" by allegience with "the absolute". We can then contrast this view with that of "self dissipation" perhaps suggested by relinquishment of "worldly attachments", in which "identity" becomes irrelevent.

But there is at least a third view...that of "the embodied self" as advocated by Heideggar (et al). According to this view "the self" is not normally "conscious of itself"...it is situationally evoked when the "flow of being" is interrupted. ...where there was merely "a hammering". on the striking of a finger, "the hammer" becomes objectified by "the self as actor" which takes on take on Existenz. For Heidegger, the "authentic self" is the existential contemplater of the being of itself. In this sense it is transcendental and free to choose "its identity".
existential potential

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:22 am
@fresco,
And the “identity” which one chooses isn’t anything over and above a “self” which might be ascribed to “me” in a social situation, rather its just an awareness of the nature of this identity, that it isn’t in itself “absolute”, but something quite changeable.

fresco

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 02:24 am
@existential potential,
That's right.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:01 pm
What might be a consequence of a world-wide aphasia regarding the concepts happiness and unhappiness (and all its synonyms)?
0 Replies