Terra Nova - coming TV series

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 02:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
For slightly silly but watchable prehistoric (and future) creatures I like to watch Primeval, a British show that's been on for a few seasons.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808096

It starts off being a pretty simple "dinosaur gets loose in modern times, how do we stop it?" type of story with some annoyingly cute/stupid things like pet dinosaurs and such, but it evolves into a mystery surrounding the time portals themselves and what is causing them. And then they start predicting the future and extrapolating how life might evolve and it gets far more interesting.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 03:21 pm
@rosborne979,
Could be worth checking out. I watch TV with an air antenna and never got in the habit of using my computer to watch shows. I doubt that it will ever cross my path, unless something gives.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:06 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Quote:
From executive producers Steven Spielberg, Peter Chernin, Brannon Braga, René Echevarria and Aaron Kaplan comes an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making.

Some of the producers are good, but the phrase "family adventure" doesn't bode well.

it got me thinking Land of the Lost
Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:11 pm
@djjd62,
yup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCpScBIm0lk&feature=related
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:46 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:47 pm
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 10:56 am
Julian May wrote a series of books generally referred to as the Pliocene Exile with a similar premise.

People from the modern era are sent back to the Pliocene Era earth and discover an unexpected world.

Mass time travel to a prior time seems to be the only similarity, but the books make a good read.

I'll be trying this one out, although I really don't like Stephen Lang and haven't since long before Avatar. Just something about him that irritates me.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:07 am
It's been done before.
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:15 am
http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickentimetravelhistory.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 12:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Julian May wrote a series of books generally referred to as the Pliocene Exile with a similar premise.

People from the modern era are sent back to the Pliocene Era earth and discover an unexpected world.

Mass time travel to a prior time seems to be the only similarity, but the books make a good read.

The first in that series was _The Many Colored Land_, and I agree, they are a very good read. I read them back in my 20's and loved them. But there's a lot more to them than just time travel. I learned a lot of Pliocene animals names from those books. And she wove a known asteroid impact during that time into her story. A very good series of books.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 12:51 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

There are not that many premises out there. It's what you do with the one you've selected that matters.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:14 pm
@joefromchicago,
If not the worst show ever to air, one of the 10 worst.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:37 pm
I might be the last person on the planet who hasn't seen Avatar, so I don't know anything about this Lang guy, but my intuition is that this will be anything but boring...or badly made. Spielberg is involved, right? I don't think he's had many flops attached to his name. Always a first time for everything, though.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:43 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I might be the last person on the planet who hasn't seen Avatar, so I don't know anything about this Lang guy, but my intuition is that this will be anything but boring...or badly made. Spielberg is involved, right? I don't think he's had many flops attached to his name. Always a first time for everything, though.

I hope you're right. By the way, don't waste your time on Avatar.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
When Star Trek began when I was a kid, my dad said that "Flash Gordon was waay better than this. When Star trek abandoned Kirk in favor of Piccard , my dad was incensed at "How they were ******* up the best show on TV"
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:51 pm
@farmerman,
One man's classic is another's ****.
0 Replies